Has anyone cycled Leven Bank in Yarm, Stockton-on-tees?

2»

Comments

• Phil562
    Phil562 Posts: 73
    Leven Bank this morning, surface gets worse every time
  • Phil562 wrote:

+1 going towards kirklevington its rubbish!

Also to the fellow that asked about local clubs you have the Stockton Wheelers http://www.stocktonwheelers.org.uk and Cleveland Wheelers http://www.clevelandwheelers.com close to hand. Both great, friendly clubs, perhaps SWCC slightly more suited to newbies due to three different rides for different abilities that go out on a sunday.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Phil562
    Phil562 Posts: 73
    Phil562 wrote:

+1 going towards kirklevington its rubbish!

Also to the fellow that asked about local clubs you have the Stockton Wheelers http://www.stocktonwheelers.org.uk and Cleveland Wheelers http://www.clevelandwheelers.com close to hand. Both great, friendly clubs, perhaps SWCC slightly more suited to newbies due to three different rides for different abilities that go out on a sunday.

That was me ;-)

Many thanks will have a look
  • Had a drive up here this morning. The bank itself looks nice; I had a look along here because I was considering bringing my bike to work in Stockton and doing a round trip to Yarm, up Leven Bank and back around Ingleby, looks like a nice road but I'm a bit concerned about the road either side of Leven Bank that seems narrow and busy with poor sight lines :(
  • Another one from the area here , while not Teeside ,more up the Coast (Loftus , I know, I know).
    The riding over here is fantastic . North Yorks coast, North Yorks moors.
    If anyone is in the area try my 3@30 these are 3 climbs at (reportadly around 30%) Egton bridge , Rosedale Chimney and Farndale to Blakey.
    This is a hard ride.
    regards
    ILG
  • The surface on Leven Bank (the Yarm side) is appalling and usually you have some knob in a white Range Rover Vogue up your arse whilst going up there. There is a quiter alternative round the back of Kirklevington Prison called Weary Bank. However the surface on both sides of this bank is relatively poor, as well as it being fairly narrow in places (not fun if you get caught with a car coming the other way on the bank).

Congratulations on getting up Carlton Bank. There was a period a few years back I'd ride up at least twice a week in a 40 mile loop, and did a few tough sportives off the back of that training. I never found any other hill to be as tough as it anywhere.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    yay great to hear teesside/Cleveland climbs / riders on here all childhood/teen rides around there, usually a bit further out west these days other side of the A19, Well done OP on conquering Leven bank :D
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    This thread has made me want to visit my Mam and Dad over Xmas, munch a chicken parmo (hot shot), visit Westbrooks to buy stuff I really don't need and also ride up Carlton bank.

Merry Xmas to all my fellow BR Teessiders/Smoggies :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Its nice to read about routes I know, loved going through this thread.

To keep on topic, I've done Leven Bank many times as I used to live in Yarm and do most of my cycling around Hilton, Seamer, Hutton Rudby and Stokesley. Unfortunately that was on a mountain bike, but I've just got a road bike and can't wait to try it again. I did the bank in Hutton Rudby at the weekend, and regularly have the small bank at Maltby to do on my way home.

I love the area for cycling, as previous posters have mentioned the back roads aren't that busy and I've not had a problem with drivers.

Nice to hear from you all, happy cycling!
  • Did an 80 mile route yesterday and Leven Bank was in the middle of it, was dreading it as I hadn't done it before, but when it came to it, it was really short, about 30 seconds out of the saddle and a bit of hard grind afterwards and I was at the top wondering what all the fuss was about!
  • Carlton Bank. Stuart Dangerfield 1996 National HC champs. 5'39.6.
    Incredible scenes. Only man ever to break 6 mins on it.