Another what bike should I get thread

beckybike
beckybike Posts: 17
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
I've spent the last couple of weeks searching for a new bike and I'm at my wits end really.

I cycle between 40 and 100 miles a week, mostly on road but some off road - canal towpaths, gravel, an odd bit of grass, woodland trails.

I'm using a Raleigh Pioneer Metro at the moment and it's just not up to the job of late. It's been fine really, definitely done it's job for a beginner cyclist, but I want something that's a bit better able to handle hills (God I hate hills), and is a bit nippier now.

I can spend between 500 and 1000 pounds, preferably towards the lower end of that price range.

I've been looking at Whyte and Specialized hybrid bikes mostly, and would ideally like something with disc brakes. I don't know if buying something woman specific is a good idea or not, I'm not sure I care about things like step through frames etc...

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Comments

• Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    This should do your job.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ross-bikes

I have the slightly lower spec version with canti brakes and 3x8 drivetrain, it's been utterly reliable despite taking some real hammerings on and off road. :D
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Ah, I've had a look at a few cyclocross bikes and wondered if that was the way to go.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends if you want narrower drop bars, and that style of braking and shifting.
  • I don't really know what that means. I don't mind either style of bars, flat or drop (I don't think) , but I know next to nothing about different types of braking and shifting.
  • I've ridden the Whyte's, and at least the non-women specced ones are quite nice. You should be able to get grippier tyres into the rims as well for some light off-roading for that Victoria. Based on MTB geometry, but felt nippy and quick-steering.

That Sirrus Comp will be much more road oriented, so less off-road, more speed. Nice bike though.

Test the Whyte Victoria, if it fits you, should be a great choice. (No, I don't own a Whyte)
  • supersonic
    Drop bars have the brakes and shfiter integrated like this:

IMG_6409.jpg

Works a lot differently from flat bar shifters and brakes.

I'd take a look at this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

Great spec, very light, hydraulic disc brakes - is slightly more road oriented but a very capable machine. Is head and shoulders above most you list.
  • Yeah, I'm not sure I would like gears and brakes like in that picture. Someone put me off Boardmans, they said they had had lots of trouble with theirs, and that Halfords had been a pain when trying to resolve their issues. I think it was a problem with the crank (whatever that is). I don't really trust Halfords to build a bike properly either, the last one I got from them literally fell apart on its second outing.

*edited to add* I suppose I could get it checked over at a local bike shop before I rode it though, having a read around it would seem that most of the problems associated with the boardmans are with them being poorly built.
  • That particular bike is too big for me anyway, I'm only 5 ft 4".
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    The Boardman bikes are utterly fine, and very good value for money, but it's certainly a good idea to get it checked over by a trustworthy mechanic* at a reputable LBS, unless you've got a very bike-savvy friend. Usually all the shop boys would do is stick the pedals on (not rocket science, just make sure the threads are greased!) and straighten the handlebars (there's potential to do the bolts up in the wrong order, and that's Bad).

I also think you should try drop bars before ruling them out.

*: Halfords do employ some very competent mechanics, but it's honestly a bit of a lottery.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    What about something like this?

Specialized Crosstrail 2014 (£400) http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec042522
    specialized-crosstrail-2013-hybrid-bike.jpg

Specialized Crosstrail Elite Disc 2014 (£700) http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec042524
    specialized-crosstrail-elite-disc-2013-hybrid-bike.jpg

The second one has hydraulic disc brakes. I think I'd rather go for V brakes than cheap, mechanical disc brakes. But maybe that's just me. Both have fat tyres (comapred to a road bike) for trail or offroad.

Oh, and you don't need a women's specific bike. Get a mens/unisex in the right size and then start looking for a new saddle (maybe a woman's specific one) that suits you. Assuming you are not happy with the one that comes with the bike of course.
  • Mr.Duck
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd take a look at this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

Great spec, very light, hydraulic disc brakes - is slightly more road oriented but a very capable machine. Is head and shoulders above most you list.
    Isn't that too much of a road bike? The gearing for example looks road race high gearing. OP wants to tackle hills and trail.

I can't really tell what tyres you could fit to it. But maybe in the 23mm-32mm range? OP might be better off with the option to use tyres in the 32mm-38mm range...
  • I was just looking at that exact bike (the elite disc one). I seem to keep coming back to Specialized wherever I look. I'm going to take a trip to Evans I think and have a look. It's very pretty, but I'm really trying to go on specs rather than looks (this is a bit difficult when I really don't have a clue about specs). I need to educate myself a bit before I take the plunge I think.
    How would that bike deal with hills? The tyres look huge, would that make it slower on the road?

thank you for all the replies I've received so far, much appreciated x
  • Mr.Duck
    I just found those 2 based on what you said about going off road. Can you explain how rough your journey would get exactly? Like as bad as cycling through wet mud kind of journey?

The tyres look bigger than they are on the Crosstrail Elite Disc because the rims are black. The tyre width is 38mm. Think of that as a skinny mountain bike tyre. Most hybrid or road bikes use 23/25/28mm tyres. Fast and light, but no good at all for off road except maybe the very lightest of off road. Just potholes and rough tarmac can feel really rough on 25mm tyres if you are not used to it.

You can't fit wide tyres to a road bike because it just wouldn't fit. So you have to get a bike designed for that if you do want wide tyres. Yes, it's slower on the road. You have to find the best compromise. 700x32 touring tyres on a Sirrus, anyone?

For steep hills you need low gearing. The Crosstrail Elite has 3 chainrings like a mountainbike (48/36/26T chainrings and a 11-32T cassette). The Boardman Performance Hybrid Team has 50/34T chainrings and a 11-28T cassette for comparison. So the lowest gear on the Boardman would be still like using the middle chainring on the Crosstrail. So the Crosstrail can go into an even lower gear range if you need it to. To make it easier to pedal up a steep hill.
  • I do come across the odd bit of mud from time to time, and canal paths that are just grass (with added rocks sometimes), sometimes whole fields of grass, and I really don't want to be limited to just roads, I get bored just riding on roads, and I don't love riding in traffic. I would say I do maybe 70/30 road to off road, so more road, but I need a bike able to cope with both.

I guess I can't have everything in one bike, so I will have to sacrifice a bit of speed, or keep off the tracks. I think I'm a bit too clumsy for a road bike, so I very much doubt I will go down that route, and I can't afford the luxury of having 2 bikes.

I shouldn't imagine it will be that slow anyway, it can't be slower than my Raleigh, can it? I think the fastest I've ever gone on that is about 22 mph and that was downhill with the wind :) If I can improve on the speed just a little bit that would be good.

I had read that 3 chainrings was the way to go with hills, so thanks for confirming that. Just a bit worried about those super thick tyres. I don't think the tyres on the bike I have at the moment are that thick and the bumps etc don't bother me, it can skid a bit in the mud, but not really bad, I haven't fallen off it yet...the mud I'm talking about is more like muddy puddles rather than like half a mile of the stuff.
  • Mr.Duck
    That sort of off roading doesn't sound too arduous.

If it was me, I would go for a fast hybrid with no suspension, V brakes, 700x32 tyres (like Vittoria Randonneur, not knobbly). That would be quite good, mainly for road rather than the trail, not too slow and not heavy. There is a penalty in cost and weight having suspension and disc brakes. It's all a trade off, but that's what I would go for from what you describe.

The wider your tyres are, the lower you can run the tyre pressure to give more comfort and the more suspension from them. I think 700x32 would be at the lower end for what you need, but a good compromise between wide for off road and narrow for road.

So maybe you just want a Specialized Sirrus or similar? But someone needs to confirm what size tyres it can take. It need to be at least a 700x32 tyre...
  • Still at a loss, this is harder than buying a house, or a car.

I tried out a couple of Trek bikes over the last few days and I wasn't overly impressed, the 7.2 and 7.3. They both felt rather heavy. It was hard to tell test riding on a flat car park though. The two Trek shops I went to wouldn't listen when I said I wasn't bothered about a womens specific bike (or they couldn't be bothered to set one up for me to test), so I only got to test ride the womens. I am leaning more towards woman specific now, I'm slightly worried about the centre bar being too high on mens, and I may never get to know if it's too high if nobody lets me have a bloody go on one.

I also went to Evans and came out a bit confused. They recommended a Hoy http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hoy/shizuoka-003-2013-hybrid-bike-ec051520#BVRRWidgetID, and told me not to spend more than 750. Trek told me not to bother with disc brakes. I've been picking everyones brains, so I'm sure I'll get there in the end. Checked out out the Boardmans in Halfords too, but I think the only one I liked was too big for me. The smallest frame was 18" which would be for someone 5ft 6 or over?

My short list seems to be getting longer and longer. I want something pretty too, I feel a bit stupid going on looks, but I don't think I'm going to be entirely happy unless I like how it looks too. Some are just plain offensive to my eye.

Any advice on these babies anyone:

http://www.actionbikes.co.uk/whyte-malvern-womens-2013.html

http://www.actionbikes.co.uk/whyte-caledonian-womens-2013.html

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/dew-deluxe-2012-hybrid-bike-ec034478#features

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/vfr-2-forma-2013-womens-hybrid-bike-ec041302

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/coda-elite-2013-hybrid-bike-ec041527

http://www.formbycycles.co.uk/bike/hybrid-bike/marin-hybrid-bike/marin-fairfax-sc5-hybrid-bike.html

Would 28 tyres be too small for light trail use?
  • Mr.Duck
    Well that Hoy has exactly the same gear ratios as the Bordman example I give earlier. So that's unsuitable for what you want I thought?

Do you want disc brakes for sure? For the wet mud or just because they are supposed to be better than rim brakes?

Worried about the centre bar being too high? Too high for what? Those womens bikes are for people that wear a long skirt or a dress while cycling. I didn't think they deserved to be taken seriously.

The Jamis look like crap. Heavy. A steel frame.

Ask to test drive some fast hybrid bikes (aluminium frame and fork or better) that you can fit 32mm wide tyres if you want to...
  • The Hoy bike - Yeah, thats why I came out confused.

I've been told by a number of people now (including you Mr Duck :)) that disc brakes are not necessary for the kind of cycle I need, so I am heeding that advice, and that isn't on my list of things I must have any more.

I meant too high for me to put my feet on the ground, but I guess there is really no reason why I wouldn't be able to do that if the bike is the right fit, yeah. I don't ride bikes in dresses like in a Flake advert.

I don't really feel like I'm being taken seriously in the shops, I feel pretty much like how I feel if I need something fixed on my car and have to go to a garage. I hate not having the knowledge I need, and I don't really trust salespeople to find me the right bike. They might find me the best bike in their particular shop (if I'm lucky), which could be not all that great.

If I test some fast hybrids and put thicker tyres, I'm assuming that will make them slower? which is fine, but won't there be bikes like that already, that just have thicker tyres? Is that something a bike shop would do for free?

Off to Leisure Lakes Bikes today, and a couple of LBS, hopefully I will fare better...
  • I tried out some more today and I've ordered a Specialized Vita Elite 2014 - 650, http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p65882/Specialized-Vita-Elite-Womens-2014-Hybrid-Bike.aspx I went to a place that let me do a mile long test ride, on flat and uphill and down, so I got a good ride on it, albeit on the 2013 mens Sirrus. A friend bought a bike at the same time and she got 100 pounds off hers and I get 100 pounds worth of free accessories with mine, so I think I've got a pretty good deal for a new model bike. I'm planning to get mudguards, bottle racks, and bottles, and a seat. The 2014 model comes with a carbon fork, so I thought I might as well wait the two weeks for them to get it in. I will test ride it again before I commit to buying, but I was really happy on the Sirrus, it was just a tad too big, and the colours were a bit rubbish.

They said the specs were the same for both the Sirrus and the Vita, so I'm pretty certain it's the bike for me. They will also put some wider tyres on it for me, free of charge.

Looking at the specs for the 2014 though, I think the gearset is more rubbish? Could anyone help me compare the 2013 and 2014 models please?

2013 - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/vita-elite-2013-womens-hybrid-bike-ec042543#features
    2014 - http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p65882/Specialized-Vita-Elite-Womens-2014-Hybrid-Bike.aspx
  • supersonic
    The drivetrain has been slightly downgraded, but you get a much better fork. The new one seems the better bike to me because of that fork, the gears in use will not feel much different, if at all.
  • Mr.Duck
    I've heard some people say they would always go for disc brakes for commuting because they work better in the wet and rain. I don't really think it's necessary myself. Cheap disc brakes will be less desirable than good v-brakes anyway. So it partly comes down to budget I guess.

I really don't like going into the shops either. Unless you can be specific and ask the right questions. Maybe they sense you are just wanting to browse, and they don't want to spend any time on someone that is probably not going to buy anything from them. I need to armed with the right knowledge first, otherwise I would just be staring at the different bikes and shrugging my sholders.

beckybike wrote:
    If I test some fast hybrids and put thicker tyres, I'm assuming that will make them slower? which is fine, but won't there be bikes like that already, that just have thicker tyres? Is that something a bike shop would do for free?
    Yeah a bit slower and slightly heavier. The fast hybrid bikes tend to come with 28mm wide tyres. It's a very understandable choice. Very middle of the road, one size fits all sort of size. You'd normally want to change them for 25mm road race tyres and run them at ~120psi. That's where the speed comes from. 32mm tyres you would run at more like ~75psi, which gives more rubber on road, more traction, more grip, but also more resistance and more drag. You couldn't run the 25mm tyres at that low pressure because you would get lots of pinch flats. Does that make sense?

The complicated bit is checking the frame clearence and rim size to determine what sort of tyres it would be possible to fit. If the bike comes with 28mm tyres, you might find that they work fine, but it would be good to know if you could fit 32mm tyres if you needed to.
  • They told me they can fit 32mm to the 2014 Vita Elite, and will do so free of charge.

Thanks for the advice, supersonic and Mr Duck :) it really has helped a lot.
  • Mr.Duck
    Ah, I was busy writing that reply before I saw your last post.

Congrats. It looks good. The 2014 model is worth it for that carbon fork. 32mm tyres and you should be very pleased :)

Oh, and don't forget good locks if you are using it for commuting and need to chain it up. Like a heavy D lock for the frame and rear wheel, a lighter D lock for the front wheel...
  • Thanks, I'm feeling pretty confident I have a nice bike coming :)