Drafting - How much quicker?

2»

Comments

• Bullet1 wrote:
    Most of us are fairly experienced rider (4,000 miles a year plus) but given work & family commitments etc dont tend to get out in groups too often.

By the sound of things the 17mph could be converted to 19/20mph.

We were talking of 2 minutes / 1km stretches at the front before the lead man pulls off to the right (minding traffic)and the team 'undertake' him.
    Riding lots of miles does not really equate to an experienced rider, especially in groups :-)
    There is more than one way to draft. The scenario you describe above is not the most efficient as it is one line and 1km pull is too far so this would be moderate pace.
    If you ride in two lines and front rider moves once past front rider (left or right depending on wind direction) you will go faster and save more energy.
    To the rider who said they just got tired, that's because you were judging effort poorly and you need to practice. The passing line does not accelerate through when your on the front, this just opens the gap behind you and rider looses drafting efficiency and has to ride harder to close gap and you end up working hard with less gain.
    The passing line of riders ride smoothly just slightly fater than the slower line so you all remain close together and take about 4 or 5 second to pass the front rider before moving in, not accelerate hard as you can once your on the fron :D so what you should see is two lines of riders close to riders in front, one line slightly faster than other, this is called "through and off" :D

Which is why all the teams in the team time trial in the tour de France used a single line - because it's slower than through and off :? .

Throught and off is quicker if you have a large group of riders - but for a line of 6 it means you're spending 1/3 of your time on the front instead of 1/6, a lot more tiring.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I dunno about quicker - drafting made my commute a lot easier this morning ... :D

Well - until I felt sorry for the lad I was drafting as his mate had dropped him .... so I thought it only fair that I dig in and pull him back to his partner ... just reached him and blow me - they turned around to go back the other way! Ah well - I couldn't have lasted any longer at that pace anyway (PR on a segment) :)
    Would've been a little easier if I wasn't on my TriCross!
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    I have noticed on a route I do on my own that I will have a heart rate of about 160 but if I go with a group and do the same route at roughly the same speed (bit slower) my heart rate will be down to 130 if I don't pull on the front.

When on the front I can allow my heart rate to shoot above the 160 threshold knowing I can hide in the pack when I get knackered.

I also notice my cadence is constant when I ride on my own but when in a group you are able to free wheel a lot which is why you save energy as your not doing any work.
  • Nickoo
    Nickoo Posts: 85
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    That's very precise nikoo....which study provided the figure?

PP

A mate of mine did an in depth study into drafting as part of his uni course, sports science degree
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Bullet1 wrote:
    Most of us are fairly experienced rider (4,000 miles a year plus) but given work & family commitments etc dont tend to get out in groups too often.

We were talking of 2 minutes / 1km stretches at the front before the lead man pulls off to the right (minding traffic)and the team 'undertake' him.
    Riding lots of miles does not really equate to an experienced rider, especially in groups :-)
    There is more than one way to draft. The scenario you describe above is not the most efficient as it is one line and 1km pull is too far so this would be moderate pace.
    If you ride in two lines and front rider moves once past front rider (left or right depending on wind direction) you will go faster and save more energy.
    To the rider who said they just got tired, that's because you were judging effort poorly and you need to practice. The passing line does not accelerate through when your on the front, this just opens the gap behind you and rider looses drafting efficiency and has to ride harder to close gap and you end up working hard with less gain.
    The passing line of riders ride smoothly just slightly fater than the slower line so you all remain close together and take about 4 or 5 second to pass the front rider before moving in, not accelerate hard as you can once your on the fron :D so what you should see is two lines of riders close to riders in front, one line slightly faster than other, this is called "through and off" :D

Which is why all the teams in the team time trial in the tour de France used a single line - because it's slower than through and off :? .

Throught and off is quicker if you have a large group of riders - but for a line of 6 it means you're spending 1/3 of your time on the front instead of 1/6, a lot more tiring.
    Your right abput small numbers which is why in team pursuit it is one line also :D I am ion about large groups.
  • Bullet1 wrote:

Your right abput small numbers which is why in team pursuit it is one line also :D I am ion about large groups.

Ah ok - the OP talked about a team of 5-6 so I assumed that's what everyone would use as their reference.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I think I must be missing out as I've never tried it and the thought of it is quite scary