T-Mobile

junglist_matty
junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
edited August 2013 in The bottom bracket
Seriously annoyed with T-Mobile,

I broke my phone by dropping it and the screen smashed (cracks in screen glass) and the screen also went black (device won't turn on).

This happened on the 24th June.

I sorted the insurance claim and they then asked me to send them proof of purchase.... The phone was an upgrade that didn't come with documentation they are happy with and told me to ask T-Mobile to send me "proof of purchase" in a PDF format.

So 5 or 6 requests later and still no letter of proof of purchase; I went to the EE shop (T-Mobile shops are now closed and part of EE), they can't even print proof of purchase for me!!!!

It's some kind of sick joke so now I'm stuck with a £300 phone that doesn't work and the insurance won't fix so I'm paying not only for a broken phone, but throwing £10 a month down the drain on phone insurance!!!!!!

Complete joke, I'm seriously tempted to get a red mark on my credit score (I don't need any credit anyway, I have a mortgage & credit card with more than enough limit on it) and just break the contract by quitting paying either service another penny, I'd be better off spending my time smashing my head against a brick wall than going through the motions asking different people the same thing who give the same scripted answer each time I ring.

Surely a proof of purchase (proof of supply or whatever) is not difficult for them to produce!?

Comments

• What phone is it?

They're surprisingly easy to fix
  • What phone is it?

They're surprisingly easy to fix

Samsung Galaxy S3.... The device doesn't actually turn on, the notification LED doesn't light up when the charger plugs in and the screen is always black as if it's off
  • Seeing you're probably not going to get a replacement on insurance, take it apart, see what's up with the insides.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I had occassion to call T-mobile on Friday. They wrote to my brother at our address. He died last month so I had to phone and cancel the contract.

It took 20 minutes of being on hold to get through (after 3 attempts with the menu system).

The conversation went:

Me: Hi there I am calling on behalf of......, account nr.......

T-Mobile: That account is £26 in arrears.

Me: Yes I know. The account holder was my brother. He died last month.

T-Mobile: Sorry to hear that. I'll put a note on the account. All you need to do is post a copy of the death certificate to the address on the website.

Me: I've got enough to do. I'll email you a copy.

T-Mobile: No, we cant do email. I can give you a fax number.

Me: A fax!! I havesn't sent a fax in years. You have a choice, accept an email copy or I'll ignore you and you can continue writing. You are a communications company and you can't do email!!

T-Mobile: (reluctantly) You'll find an email address on the website.

It really annoys me. They will establish a contract and start to take your money by phone, on line, probably using smoke signals but cancel a contract!!!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Navrig wrote:
    I had occassion to call T-mobile on Friday. They wrote to my brother at our address. He died last month so I had to phone and cancel the contract.

It took 20 minutes of being on hold to get through (after 3 attempts with the menu system).

The conversation went:

T-Mobile: Sorry to hear that. I'll put a note on the account. All you need to do is post a copy of the death certificate to the address on the website.

Me: A fax!! I havesn't sent a fax in years. You have a choice, accept an email copy or I'll ignore you and you can continue writing. You are a communications company and you can't do email!!

It really annoys me. They will establish a contract and start to take your money by phone, on line, probably using smoke signals but cancel a contract!!!

Sorry regarding your loss but I think my Virgin Broadband cancellation was better with regard to incompetent communication.
    Cancel my Broadband with a months notice that will end in the middle of a billing cycle. I cancel my direct debit at the bank anticipating Virgin taking the full amount next time rather than the half month that they should.
    Lo and behold, I get a bounced payment notice from the bank where they have tried to take the full amount but hear nothing from Virgin. I am fully aware I owe them a couple of weeks money and simply await the call or email telling me how much.
    About 3 months go by with no communication.
    Finally a debt collector sends me a letter for a full months direct debit and I think about £50 penalty. Straight on the blower to debt collection agency to explain. Talking to a coherent being this is all resolved within minutes and I pay the £7 or £8 we agree I actually owe. I query why I haven't heard anything. He informs me that they only communicate by email. But I haven't had any, I reply. He then confirms that they will only communicate to the registered account email. This is the same email address that Virginia themselves shut down when you cancel your broadband, as indeed it clearly stated all over the cancellation policy at the time.
    One email was all it needed for me to willingly pay up but Virgin actually had to commission a debt collector. Had I been a man of greater means, I would like to have let it run to see how the claims court felt about a company claiming they have communicated with you by sending all comms to an email address they themselves had switched off.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    morstar wrote:
    Navrig wrote:

The conversation went:

Sorry regarding your loss but I think my Virgin Broadband cancellation was better with regard to incompetent communication.
    Cancel my Broadband with a months notice that will end in the middle of a billing cycle. I cancel my direct debit at the bank anticipating Virgin taking the full amount next time rather than the half month that they should.
    Lo and behold, I get a bounced payment notice from the bank where they have tried to take the full amount but hear nothing from Virgin. I am fully aware I owe them a couple of weeks money and simply await the call or email telling me how much.
    Finally a debt collector sends me a letter for a full months direct debit and I think about £50 penalty. Straight on the blower to debt collection agency to explain. Talking to a coherent being this is all resolved within minutes and I pay the £7 or £8 we agree I actually owe. I query why I haven't heard anything. He informs me that they only communicate by email. But I haven't had any, I reply. He then confirms that they will only communicate to the registered account email. This is the same email address that Virginia themselves shut down when you cancel your broadband, as indeed it clearly stated all over the cancellation policy at the time.
    One email was all it needed for me to willingly pay up but Virgin actually had to commission a debt collector. Had I been a man of greater means, I would like to have let it run to see how the claims court felt about a company claiming they have communicated with you by sending all comms to an email address they themselves had switched off.

You couldn't make it up!!

I think a lot of these companies rely on bullying tactics to pressurise people into settling debts they are not due to pay.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    Having had so much bother with contract phones, I just buy cheap handsets on e-bay and pay-as-you-go. if I top up with £10 or more per month, I get 300 free evening minutes and oodles of free texts.
    I can survive without a smart phone.
    Don't worry - all you need is two toddlers and your phone is in constant imminent danger.
    I had an LG that was a leftover from a contract and went on for 6 years.
    I bought an identical one and it got chucked in the bath by toddler Mk1 in less than 3 months. Never worked again, guess it didn't like bubble bath.
    Bought a samsung and it fell out of my pocket. Mk2, quietly, without my knowledge put it into a bucket of waste vegetable oil at work. Bought a replacement. Found said samsung and cleaned it up. Despite being in a bucket of oil for a few weeks, it worked except the speaker was goosed.
    The replacement for the samsung got bashed many times on the coffee table. I really thought it was one of her rattles and at the time I was cooking so didn't check to see until it was too late.
    4 phones in 5 months.
    I think if I had a contract, I would have pulled every hair out of my body by now.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    morstar wrote:
    Navrig wrote:

The conversation went:

Don't get me started of Virgin broadband! Worst customer service ever. Almost impossible to get through to someone to cancel your contract.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Firms will try all sorts of sh1t in order to prevent switching or cancellation of contracts. I remember calling my then broadband suppliers Demon a while back to get myself switched onto a tariff I noticed was a much better deal than I was currently on, he said the systems were down and I'd have to call back. Hmmn, ok...so I call back a week later and funnily enough a different guy says the systerms are down that night and I'll have to call back. Two weeks in a row seemed odd so I queried why an IT company had such unreliable IT systems and suggest he switch me now or I'd be leaving altogether and what a surprise, it was duly sorted. I did a quick google after that call and it turns out it's a common tactic, hoping you go away and lazily forget to call back. I wish genuine pain and suffering on the management that authorise such pathetic nonsense.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    seanoconn wrote:
    Don't get me started of Virgin broadband! Worst customer service ever. Almost impossible to get through to someone to cancel your contract.

Not tried to cancel my VM contract but I lost TV & BB for 48 hours recently so phoned them up to find out what was happening and when the service would be restored. Less than 3 hours later the landline rung and it was VM asking my opinion of the agent I dealt with when I contacted them recently, the call lasted as long as I heard what they were calling for.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I've had that ignore and hope the customer goes away kind of stuff from Three over my sons phone which they reckoned was water damaged but wasn't ... Can't do that under warranty, you'll have to go through your insurance seems to be a well used tactic. Another one is to have an idiot Indian call centre as a go between who are reading from a script and take no notice of anything you actually say. Mine was sorted with a compromise but I was tearing my hair out. They seem to all be liars and sharks
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    had some pi$$ poor service similar in Canada, have figured out that bombarding twitter feeds and facebook pages has a remarkably positive effect. The coordinators of the social networks like to get stuff resolved fast as it's possible.

an identity theft issue was resolved in 2 days where attempts to call had taken 3 weeks to get nowhere.

over here I always remember that when in a pick your department by pressing number maze, 0,0 usually takes you straight into the queue.
    FCN 12