Trek Superfly HT or FS?

turboslave
turboslave Posts: 178
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

Looking to upgrade my very old Scott Comp USA hardtail, as per title I am looking at Superfly as I want a fast XC bike to skip over light terrain such as canal tow paths, local woods, hard pack trails etc. I have noticed that although I am faster than most in a straight line I cant live with them when it gets technical.

I have no doubt that both versions would be quicker than my current steed but was wondering is it worth sacrificing a bit of speed for the added comfort of the FS.

I am open to alternative options but would like a reason why you are recommending over the Trek's, budget is around £2K.

All advice is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Dave

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Rear suspension wont improve comfort. For what you ride a hardtail will be far better.
  • turboslave
    Rear suspension wont improve comfort. For what you ride a hardtail will be far better.

Thanks for the feedback, I would rather spend more on a higher specked HT then a lower end FS.

Atb

Dave
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i bought a Canyon CF SLX 29er HT and for the spec it cant be beat, + easily as forgiving as my SJ FSR and loads more fun.
    The SF is a great bike !
    You cant live with your buddies though because like me, you are a rubbish rider :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Definately the HT, the FS is very race focused and quite flexi from reviews, so not really suited to speeding you up on tech sections.

Do you want to go even faster on the straight and smooth or try and regain some time on the tech sections?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • turboslave
    Thanks guy's,

If I am honest I want to go faster both on the straights and through the technical areas, I'm currently on and old aluminium 26" Rockshok Judy SL with 1" legs, locked out to stop them squeeking, canti brakes, 9 spd Deore XT mix group, in all weighing about 30lbs.

Just about anything new will be an improvement but being more of an old roadie these day's it's all about getting up to speed and keeping it there, hence also switching to a 29er, I have a local Trek dealer and the Superfly gets good reviews, erring towards HT unless someone can enlighten me otherwise.

I'm too old for the technical stuff, too sensible, some would call it boring, captain slow or maybe like you say, just rubbish.... :D

Thanks again.
  • turboslave
    Quick update, decided against Superfly and went for this instead, too good an offer to refuse, it's not a fly but possibly better!! http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o492/davesonson/image-1.jpg

Lets hope cycle scheme don't drag their heels.

Atb