Accessory advice?

Matty_18
Matty_18 Posts: 26
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
A few days ago I took ownership of my first roadbike, I am now looking for accessories/gear to use with this bike.
I am looking for advice on the following:

- Cycle computer
- Cycle shoes for Shimono PD-R540 peddles
- Bike lock
- Front & rear lights

As mentioned, this is my first road bike so this is all new to me, I have no idea what to look for.

Thanks in advanced

Comments

• Matty_18 wrote:
    - Cycle computer

Make sure it's a wireless one. Cateye is a good make, but relative to modern tech cycle computers are simple things so they all work reasonably well.
    - Front & rear lights

Do you want lights to be seen to or see by?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Regarding shoes, these are very personal and you need to go to somewhere and try as many different ones as you can.

Sizing is difficult and inconsistent between brands.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    - Cycle computer - depends what you want a "computer" for but, if you have a smartphone, Strava is a free app and will give you all the info you're likely to need as a beginner (apologies if you already knew this)
    - Cycle shoes for Shimono PD-R540 peddles - a huge range available that will "fit" (or, more accurately, will fit the cleats that will fit) this pedal - as mentioned above, try a load on and get what you can afford. You need to get shoes that will take an SPD-SL cleat.
    - Bike lock - I don't know an awful lot about these as I never use one. If you're using your bike for going to work, I guess you could need a lock. If your bike is half decent, you may want to consider storing it indoors at work (possibly with a lock too) rather than outdoors if possible. You probably won't need a lock if you're cycling for exercise as, I guess, you will be cycling "loops" and ending up back at home. I can only imagine that they are a pain to carry round.
    - Front & rear lights - as mentioned above, do you need these to see or be seen? I've got tiny front and rear rubber things (given to me but that probably cost a couple of quid) that I have on my bike that I can turn on (flashing or not) if rainy, foggy or getting dim at the end of a ride but they would certainly be no good for cycling at night with.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Matty_18
    Thanks for the advice, in terms of a computer, I do have a smartphone, but from what i've seen, the brackets themselves cost about as much as the computers aimed at the entry level.

In terms of lights, I want to see and to be seen?
  • Matty_18 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, in terms of a computer, I do have a smartphone, but from what i've seen, the brackets themselves cost about as much as the computers aimed at the entry level.

Wouldn't recommend using your phone as a computer. By all means use it to do GPS tracking of your ride, but for something on the bike to show your speed, distance etc, then a small wireless computer is what you want. You can pick one up for about £20ish
    In terms of lights, I want to see and to be seen?

You can do worse than go to the Cateye website and have a look at their range. Note that headlights are significantly more expensive than position lights.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    See and be seen? Really?

You only really need powerful front lights if you're seriously going to be going onto unlit roads in the night - which isn't for everyone. You will then really get what you pay for - there are cheap torches you can get off deal extreme and the like which do OK (I use one) - but decent front lights that will actually light your way at night are otherwise very expensive. The Lezyne powerdrive is popular but is £77. Generally you won't get much change out of £100 for a really good front light.
    For general purpose cycling though - i.e. commuting and riding on lit roads - Knog boomers are pretty decent and not too expensive - I use a Knog boomer rear light even in the pitch dark on unlit roads - it's good enough frankly.

If you're interested I've got a fully functional Cateye double wireless computer that I've barely ever used since I got a Garmin edge 800 as a Christmas present about a month after I bought it. Yours for £30 posted if you want :-) (RRP is abotu £90 as I recall.
  • Matty_18
    djm501 wrote:
    See and be seen? Really?

You only really need powerful front lights if you're seriously going to be going onto unlit roads in the night - which isn't for everyone. You will then really get what you pay for - there are cheap torches you can get off deal extreme and the like which do OK (I use one) - but decent front lights that will actually light your way at night are otherwise very expensive. The Lezyne powerdrive is popular but is £77. Generally you won't get much change out of £100 for a really good front light.
    For general purpose cycling though - i.e. commuting and riding on lit roads - Knog boomers are pretty decent and not too expensive - I use a Knog boomer rear light even in the pitch dark on unlit roads - it's good enough frankly.

If you're interested I've got a fully functional Cateye double wireless computer that I've barely ever used since I got a Garmin edge 800 as a Christmas present about a month after I bought it. Yours for £30 posted if you want :-) (RRP is abotu £90 as I recall.

As stated, I am very new to this so I'm just looking for advice, I'm unsure if i will be cycling on unlit roads at night, but what I do know, I go down a place called Llangennith quite a lot and all the roads there are unlit.

What's the stand like on the cateye double wireless? and is this the strada?
    I've read other places that cateye are very good computers for the price, but the stand is very cheap and tends to break?

Thanks again.
  • Matty_18 wrote:
    I've read other places that cateye are very good computers for the price, but the stand is very cheap and tends to break?

Thanks again.

Having had the mount on my Cateye Commuter break when on a sportive yesterday, nearly resulting in me losing the unit (it was handed in thankfully), I'd agree with that!
  • paulorg
    paulorg Posts: 168
    Matty_18 wrote:

As stated, I am very new to this so I'm just looking for advice, I'm unsure if i will be cycling on unlit roads at night, but what I do know, I go down a place called Llangennith quite a lot and all the roads there are unlit.

Thanks again.

You will find that most mounts break quite regularly, it's an excuse to buy new kit :wink: Your LBS may help you in that respect, Edinburgh Cycles are great in my experience as long as you aren't taking the urine. For new mounts that is. Any computer will do the job, cheap or otherwise just depends whether you want wired or not and what you want it to do, some will last longer than others, I got fed up of them breaking/running out of battery/losing the instructions so you couldn't reset them and don't bother anymore. As others have said you can download free apps to your smartphone that will tell you all the stats you need.

As for lights Smart are good, as are cateye, if you are handy you could make your own http://www.kolumbus.fi/hietala2/jukka/t ... eholed.htm sorry its in Finnish but it gives you an idea of what you can do with some knowhow or spend tons of cash and buy something big.
    If you buy it, they will come...

...up to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them!!!
  • djm501
    Matty_18 wrote:
    djm501 wrote:
    See and be seen? Really?

Thanks again.

Yes it's the Strada - the stand is fully intact (everything is fully intact) but then, as I said, I didn't use it for very long. Not all that fussed if you don't want it, I'm eventually going to ebay it when I get a round tuit anyway, just seemed like a good opportunity is all.
    If you want my full opinion though - you'd be better off getting a really decent unit than a cheap entry level one - there really is no comparison between this and my Edge 800 - although that's obviously a different ball-game price-wise.
  • Matty_18
    paulorg wrote:
    Matty_18 wrote:

Thanks again.

You will find that most mounts break quite regularly, it's an excuse to buy new kit :wink: Your LBS may help you in that respect, Edinburgh Cycles are great in my experience as long as you aren't taking the urine. For new mounts that is. Any computer will do the job, cheap or otherwise just depends whether you want wired or not and what you want it to do, some will last longer than others, I got fed up of them breaking/running out of battery/losing the instructions so you couldn't reset them and don't bother anymore. As others have said you can download free apps to your smartphone that will tell you all the stats you need.

As for lights Smart are good, as are cateye, if you are handy you could make your own http://www.kolumbus.fi/hietala2/jukka/t ... eholed.htm sorry its in Finnish but it gives you an idea of what you can do with some knowhow or spend tons of cash and buy something big.

Great thanks, I'll take a look, and I'm sure google translate can translate the page anyway ;)
    djm501 wrote:

Yes it's the Strada - the stand is fully intact (everything is fully intact) but then, as I said, I didn't use it for very long. Not all that fussed if you don't want it, I'm eventually going to ebay it when I get a round tuit anyway, just seemed like a good opportunity is all.
    If you want my full opinion though - you'd be better off getting a really decent unit than a cheap entry level one - there really is no comparison between this and my Edge 800 - although that's obviously a different ball-game price-wise.

Well, as for now, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on equipment so I have a fairly light budget on each item, although I will push the boat out slightly on lights as well, that's my safety. Maybe if I catch the cycling bug after a while, I will certainly upgrade. In the mean time, I think I would be interested in your cateye. :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Smart lunar R2 rear light (or phart bleep from planet-x - its the same thing). I use the 20 quid flashing cateye to be seen in London, and have a 60 quid super bright LED torch for seeing unlit roads (its rubbish, and there are better ones - namely leyzne and they are on sale in Chain Reaction - or were - see bargains thread in commuting section).

Shoes - DHB R1 from Wiggle gets excellent reviews, but you cant try for size as they are online only - buy one either side of your shoe size and return the one (for free) which doesn't fit.
    Shimano R077 is quite cheap, but the r086 has a ratchet strap which gets a better fit and allows you to adjust more easily. Depends on budget. Giro are extremely comfy and can be had cheap. My housemate got some bontrager ones which are very comfy indeed.

Locks - unless its just to be locked up for 30s while you can see it, get the best, meanest one you can afford. Honestly

Cateye is ideal, you can use a piece of blu-tack behind the unit to hold it in place.
  • smidsy
    Locks are tricky. If you can comfortably carry it it is no use for the determined thief. All you can do is offer some detterant and hope they move on to easier pickings. If you really want to keep your pride and joy DO NOT LEAVE IT.

If it is for home security get a decent ground anchor fitted to a concrete floor and use the most expensive chain and anti drill lock you can afford (like £200 plus e.g. English Chains). Think motorbike security and you will not go too far wrong.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Locks are tricky. If you can comfortably carry it it is no use for the determined thief. All you can do is offer some detterant and hope they move on to easier pickings. If you really want to keep your pride and joy DO NOT LEAVE IT.

If it is for home security get a decent ground anchor fitted to a concrete floor and use the most expensive chain and anti drill lock you can afford (like £200 plus e.g. English Chains). Think motorbike security and you will not go too far wrong.

Locks are a big problem. You've just spent 1 million quid on the latest carbon beauty, but you then have to carry a lock that weighs so much that you might as well have gotten a £50 clunker from Tesco. The answer is most of the time you don't carry one.

If I know I'm going to have to nip into shops etc I might take a cheap light cable lock - which I know can be cut through in a fraction of a second with the right tool - but it does stop someone just riding off with the bike. Longer term I get my wife to meet me there with my hefty lock! - but that happens rarely.
  • Matty_18
    coriordan wrote:
    Smart lunar R2 rear light (or phart bleep from planet-x - its the same thing). I use the 20 quid flashing cateye to be seen in London, and have a 60 quid super bright LED torch for seeing unlit roads (its rubbish, and there are better ones - namely leyzne and they are on sale in Chain Reaction - or were - see bargains thread in commuting section).

Shoes - DHB R1 from Wiggle gets excellent reviews, but you cant try for size as they are online only - buy one either side of your shoe size and return the one (for free) which doesn't fit.
    Shimano R077 is quite cheap, but the r086 has a ratchet strap which gets a better fit and allows you to adjust more easily. Depends on budget. Giro are extremely comfy and can be had cheap. My housemate got some bontrager ones which are very comfy indeed.

Locks - unless its just to be locked up for 30s while you can see it, get the best, meanest one you can afford. Honestly

Cateye is ideal, you can use a piece of blu-tack behind the unit to hold it in place.

I was looking at the Smart Lunar R2 yesterday actually, £8.99 on jejamescycles.
    Thank you for your advice on the shoes. I think I'm better off going to a cycle shop, trying on shoes and then looking online for the cheapest price?
  • Anonymous
    The p-x one is only 2 quid I think and is the same.

For shoes it depends...if you are comfy buying normal shoes online this is the same. I bought my 1st pair in a shop (the r077) and eventually had to buy footbeds as they were a bit big. Now I am pretty certain I am a 43 I'm happy to shop online.
    The dhb range from wiggle allow free returns so provided you are happy to be out of pocket for a week or 2 while you try them on, have nothing to lose
  • djm501
    For more or less the first year of my cycling I was quite happy with the £19 Muddyfox roadshoes - I've got better ones now but I did about 4000 miles including a few very long rides in them. 300 km was the longest - although that was the ride that persuaded me to get better ones. For starting out they're fine although they're only compatible with SPD-Sl and Look cleats iirc. I think they do a similar MTB pair for a similar price that will do SPD cleats.
  • Matty_18
    djm501 wrote:
    For more or less the first year of my cycling I was quite happy with the £19 Muddyfox roadshoes - I've got better ones now but I did about 4000 miles including a few very long rides in them. 300 km was the longest - although that was the ride that persuaded me to get better ones. For starting out they're fine although they're only compatible with SPD-Sl and Look cleats iirc. I think they do a similar MTB pair for a similar price that will do SPD cleats.

So are my pedals meant for a MTB? I'm getting quite confused between all this now.
    The person I bought the bike off is actually sending me the original pedals now, so I will be able to actually ride before buying cycling shoes.
  • Matty_18 wrote:
    Thank you for your advice on the shoes. I think I'm better off going to a cycle shop, trying on shoes and then looking online for the cheapest price?

You do that, you go straight to hell :evil:
  • Anonymous
    No you're ok you have road pedals. They are spd-sl! Frankly they are fine to use with trainers if you are just pottering in the meantime as they are fairly large
  • Matty_18
    Matty_18 wrote:

You do that, you go straight to hell :evil:

Haha, but it gives me the opportunity to actually use my bike while I hunt down a good pair of cycling shoes :)
  • Matty_18
    coriordan wrote:
    No you're ok you have road pedals. They are spd-sl! Frankly they are fine to use with trainers if you are just pottering in the meantime as they are fairly large

Yeah I have done that for a few very, very short cycles just to test the bike, but it didn't feel that secure with trainers lol
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    smidsy wrote:

The problem is what to do when you want to stop and buy a drink or choccy bar or pack of Malboro lights. The weight of a cheapy lock won't slow you down by more than a second in every hour but if you lock up at a shop it gives you some peace of mind when you get stuck behind an old biddy who doesn't know what she wants at the counter.
  • smidsy
    I take mine into the shop. Any shop that is not happy with that is not worth my custom.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • djm501
    smidsy wrote:
    I take mine into the shop. Any shop that is not happy with that is not worth my custom.

I wheeled my bike around a supermarket on a recent audax. The wheels can't be any dirtier than their trollies surely. I did get eyeballed by a couple of staff but noone threw me out :D
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    smidsy wrote:

I had a little newsagent's in mind. But fair do's.
  • Don't use your phone as a computer. Just get a good basic Cateye or Sigma. You definitely don't have to have a wireless; that's nonsense. Wired computers are reliable (wireless ones can suffer from interference), but more to the point they are generally cheaper. Sigma's BC1009 is my choice, and the model down is just over £10. Particularly if you're a beginner, it's not essential to have a flashy computer; there are far better uses for your money.
  • Matty_18
    How about these for lights?
    They've both got very good reviews on Wiggle.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/moon-gem-20-led ... ont-light/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/smart-12-watt-rear-light/
  • As has been said, it really depends on whether or not you want to 'see' or 'be seen'. For the latter, those should be fine. I've only ever used basic front lights and just made do, but if you want to be able to see comfortably on unlit roads, you will need to pay more.
  • Matty_18
    As has been said, it really depends on whether or not you want to 'see' or 'be seen'. For the latter, those should be fine. I've only ever used basic front lights and just made do, but if you want to be able to see comfortably on unlit roads, you will need to pay more.

For unlit roads, I may consider trying to make a stand for a torch I already have. The only unlit roads I'd be on are country lanes in a quiet village anyway in which I usually have to walk down in the dark anyway, would this be a suitable option?

This is the torch I am on about, it certainly lights up the road!
    212-8977_PI_TPS1332905?wid=250&hei=250&$Detail$