First ride in inclement weather

Claud Roubaix
Claud Roubaix Posts: 76
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Well actually it was pi##ing down. It wasn't too unpleasant to be fair as its generally still warm at the moment but it made me realise that I will need some winter equipment.
At the moment I am working at the budget level gear but I am thinking of getting overshoes and mudguards.
What is the opinion of neoprene overshoes? Also are the single rear mudguard ok to use?

Many thanks.
Claude

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I tend not to go out when its heavy rain but in the winter months overshoes are a must. Because most shoes are vented the cold really gets in. Its £15 well spent, very well spent.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Neoprene overshoes are OK for cold, but if it rains hard, they won't keep your feet dry... they might help keep them warm though, which is the most important thing. I only use them in winter
    You do need a decent "waterproof" light coat for the other three seasons... no need to get Goretex stuff, just a normal showerproof, will set you off about 40 pounds or so. You can fold it in your pocket and get it out when it starts raining.
    For winter you do need specific clothing, a wind resistant and padded jacket, some warm base layers and long legged bibs... some decent long gloves and the overshoes.
    left the forum March 2023
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    That's your first ride in inclement weather? Wow - you have lucked out then.
    Mind you, I did start my current riding career last summer - oh how I got the rain kit in fast.

I find that neoprene overshoes make the difference of transforming your feet from being utterly saturated to being a bit wet/damp in bad rain. This makes a big difference to comfort I think. Also they help to keep the waterproof overtrousers tucked in nicely.

Best advice I can give on rain gear though is buy 'budget', buy twice. In my experience you get what you pay for in this regard.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Wait for the aldi winter kit promo.You will get decent useable kit at a sensible price.I used it last winter and had no problems.Neoprene over shoes are a must,great bit of kit.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Riding regularly throughout the winter requires good quality clothing and like a lot of things in life 'You get what you pay for' in my opinion - consequently I would not recommend waiting for the Aldi sale myself. Buying cheap often means buying twice.

For Neoprene overshoes, I have found the Planet X offerings more robust than some more expensive overshoes eg. Castelli although they don't win much in the style stakes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have found the basic Planet X neoprene overshoes more than adequate. As already mentioned, not waterproof, but they do at least keep your feet warm if teamed up with something like Woolie Boolie socks.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 for the Planet X overshoes.

If its a long ride in the wet - full mudguards and flaps to go on them are very nice. The front wheel will wet you if you havent a guard on it - so I'd not bother with just one. But up to you.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    There is no inclement weather in August.
    You are not made of sugar.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Full mudguards in my experience make the biggest difference.

The majority of water that covers you tends to come from the road but its also the rankest. If you get guards good enough to stop water hitting your feet/legs then combined with overshoes you can keep your feet dry in some real nasty weather.
  • Htron
    Htron Posts: 47
    I have full proper SKS mudguards on my winter bike. They are matte black and so pretty inconspicuous. Keeps me and the drivetrain much cleaner in bad weather, well worth it to me.

If I could do wet gear again, I would spend a bit more on a breathable jacket that was not necessarily 100% waterproof. My waterproof jacket gives the boil in the bag effect, so I am soaked with sweat inside = pointless! Worth getting a more expensive up-market one with breathable panels perhaps.
  • Scotty-Gee
    Scotty-Gee Posts: 156
    I would rather ride all day in the rain that in the wind.

My Gabba top keeps me dry whatever, and the nanoflex arm and leg warmers are great too.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Scotty-Gee wrote:
    I would rather ride all day in the rain that in the wind.

+1 to that. Rain *and* wind though is boggin awful.