Mallorca

FatManSeth
FatManSeth Posts: 32
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Anyone been for a spot of riding?

A friend has an apartment out their and we're thinking of popping over next year, hire a couple of bikes and put some training together for our London2Paris ride at Easter.

Any tips? Good places to hire?
Do we need to take shoes? Helmets?

Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• FatManSeth wrote:
    Anyone been for a spot of riding?

Ooh yesh!
    A friend has an apartment out their and we're thinking of popping over next year, hire a couple of bikes and put some training together for our London2Paris ride at Easter.

Great idea! Although you won't get guaranteed good weather before Easter, it'll be a lot better than the UK! Where abouts is the apartment, Mallorca is a big place :)
    Any tips? Good places to hire?

I hired from Rent March in Port de Pollenca, they were ok, but nothing special. I've heard good reviews about Pro Cycle Hire too.
    Do we need to take shoes? Helmets?
    Thanks for the advice.

Pretty sure you'll need some sort of shoes ;). But seriously, most bike hire companies will fit whatever pedals you want them to, or you can take your own. As for helmets, it's up to you.
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    Have a look at Max Huerzeler http://www.bicycle-holidays.com/de/radsportstationen1/ they have hire places all over Mallorca with what must be thousands of bikes. We had alu frame/carbon fork bikes for about 10 euros per day, they do full carbon for a bit more. Take your own personal stuff like helemts, gloves shoes.
    We plotted our own routes online at local internet cafe and downloaded to Garmin, but there are loads of routes online if you have a bit of a google
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Send a PM to Mallorcajeff. He will have all the answers.
  • garyk72
    garyk72 Posts: 76
    Myself and my two brothers were in Puerto Pollensa in June and the cycling in that area is absolutely fantastic. Plenty of great quiet roads and some mountains to take on if that's what you like? The entire place is full of people out cycling every day, including Wiggo at the time, who my brother managed to harass in to giving him a photo and autograph (stalker!!!).

We hired our bikes from http://www.2gocycling.com/bicicletas.php who were very friendly and accommodating with regard to fitting whichever pedals you want on the bike and supplying lids if you haven't brought your own along. The bikes we hired were full carbon with Ultegra group sets at about 18 Euros a day.

G
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Why not take your own bikes? Cheaper than hiring and you know they'll be set up just the way you like them.
  • ManOfKent wrote:
    Why not take your own bikes? Cheaper than hiring and you know they'll be set up just the way you like them.

Cost and hassle of taking them on the flight I suppose?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I was there for the last week in April... Yep, the wet week!
    No big deal, though, as it was still warm ;)
    Pro Cycle Hire are very good, even supplying Ultegra Di2 specced bikes now.
    There's something for everyone, wherever you ride on the island.
    I'll definitely be back there next spring :D
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • hopper1 wrote:
    I was there for the last week in April... Yep, the wet week!
    No big deal, though, as it was still warm ;)

haha, me too! Although I did most of my cycling the week before that thankfully. Walking back to the villa from the restaurant on the pier in the pouring rain wasn't exactly what we'd been imagining however!

The ride from Port de Pollenca to Soller is a must for everyone; it was tough but I managed it and I'm not particularly fit and was even less fit then!
    Pro Cycle Hire are very good, even supplying Ultegra Di2 specced bikes now.
    There's something for everyone, wherever you ride on the island.
    I'll definitely be back there next spring :D

I hired from Rent March, never did work out where Pro Cycle Hire was!
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    It's surprisingly cheap to hire.
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    I loved cycling out there. A friend has an apartment out there too although he is based in portal nous. Wherever you are based it doesn't take long to get on to some great cycling roads. Have fun.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Just got back from 2 week family holiday in Port de Pollenca. Got out for a few rides as well and the terrain is spectacular - great climbs and some classic descents.

Got my bike from Pro Cycle in Port de Pollenca. They are a bit disorganised at times but good guys. If they tell you they can supply helmets and shoes then just ignore them as when you actually get to the shop it is hit and miss if they have anything left. Bring your own. They also state they supply water bottles - they do, but only a single 500ml bottle per bike.

Excellent bikes though and perfectly setup as per the measurements they ask for at the time of booking.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    Just got back from 2 week family holiday in Port de Pollenca. Got out for a few rides as well and the terrain is spectacular - great climbs and some classic descents.

Got my bike from Pro Cycle in Port de Pollenca. They are a bit disorganised at times but good guys. If they tell you they can supply helmets and shoes then just ignore them as when you actually get to the shop it is hit and miss if they have anything left. Bring your own. They also state they supply water bottles - they do, but only a single 500ml bottle per bike.

Excellent bikes though and perfectly setup as per the measurements they ask for at the time of booking.

At Rent March I was supplied a 500ml bottle, but they offered me 750ml bottles to purchase for €3 each so I did that :)