Warm up before climb

2»

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Two roads out of my valley are between 10 and 15% practically from the doorstep, then the bwlch is about 7% for about 6 km then the rhighos is about the same for near 10km.

There is a lot of research now showing that stretching before exercise can cause more problems than not.

I don't warm up before any ride, but I don't do TT's.

Stretching and warming up are not the same thing.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    DesWeller wrote:
    Two roads out of my valley are between 10 and 15% practically from the doorstep, then the bwlch is about 7% for about 6 km then the rhighos is about the same for near 10km.

There is a lot of research now showing that stretching before exercise can cause more problems than not.

I don't warm up before any ride, but I don't do TT's.

Stretching and warming up are not the same thing.

I know, but some people either combine the two or think that stretching 'is' warming up.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Jesus lol it is a bike and a climb on a club ride by a non professional rider lol just ride the bloody thing. Warm up for a club ride, heard it all now lol

Between your answer to my question and the above post I am not convinced you are classing warm up the same way my head does.

Sure no-one will do time on rollers or turbo before going out on a club ride (or general ride) etc. but I think it is good practice to start the rides with gentle effort until your body has warmed up and adapted to the position.

The OP was faced with a fairly long climb at a reasonable gradient almost immediately, so in that scenario I believe some pre-riding would be advisable. Going up a long climb still requires sustained hard effort that should be prepared for, no matter how easy you plan on taking it.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    It takes me a good while (30 mins) to properly "warm up" to operating temperature so I wouldn't want to be tackling any kind of real hill in the first 30 mins. Sometimes I do, and my legs start to hurt, but I don't keel over and die.

Just ride...a little easy at first and harder when you're ready.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava