Forks for Carrerra Vengeance

Gibbo3771
Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I fell off my bike a nailer and landed front wheel heavy, wrecking me and my front forks. They no longer travel unless a serious amount of weight is put on them, + they are crappy suntour ones anyway.

Anyways I am kinda stuck on what to buy, I have around £200 to spend.

I was looking at either 2014 Rock Shox XC32 TH or 2013 XC30 at around £150, or I can get a pair of recons for 190-200 or I can get a pair of Manitou Marvel Pro forks for £206.

Personally I want the Maintou ones, they are reduced from 499 and can be transfered over to a better frame some time next year, however I have no idea if my frame can fit a "tappered" fork, I have the Carrera Vengeance 2012 frame, most things on it are all aftermarket, had it since it was released and just replaced every broken part as it happens hehe.

Will this fork be ok? Or a I going to have to downgrade due to my frame?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Your frame cannot take a tapered fork, not without some headset jiggery pokery.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... -2013.html
  • Gibbo3771
    supersonic wrote:
    Your frame cannot take a tapered fork, not without some headset jiggery pokery.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... -2013.html

Nice price on those :| are they ok for the cash? everyone keeps telling me to go air for recon silvers but yeah, £40 for a shock pump as well is just ridiculous.

I can imagine it would be too much faffin' about to change the headset, so will pass on anything tapered then.

100mm travel is what I was going to go with, think I should go for more? I don't do "heavy" downhill but I do run around the pentlands and I enjoy riding 110% so the bike takes a heavy beating, hence the broken collarbone :D.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You can get a shock pump for about £13.
  • Gibbo3771
    mcnultycop wrote:
    You can get a shock pump for about £13.

Hm, i have this weird habit of buying £10 pumps and they break, bad luck on my part haha. I don't thnk I could go back to cheap pumps, I honestly carry around a mini foot pump now, it's made of metal, unbreakable :p
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    There is very little difference in £40 and £13 shock pumps. Once you've set up the sag you don't need to take the pump with you.

I'd personally prefer an air fork. Generally lighter and more adjustable.
  • Gibbo3771
    mcnultycop wrote:
    There is very little difference in £40 and £13 shock pumps. Once you've set up the sag you don't need to take the pump with you.

I'd personally prefer an air fork. Generally lighter and more adjustable.

Fair nuff' anyway all the good air forks are tapered, so going to go coil.

Will I need anymore than 100mm travel for XC? I intend to move these forks to a newer frame this year or sometime next so don't mind spending the full 200.
  • Gibbo3771
    So I like those ones super linked, good price but kinda wanted something a little more fancy :p

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... -2012.html

How are these for the price? will I see much of a difference for the £75?

Please someone give me a reason to save £75 haha, literally staring at the "pay now" button !! :(
  • coulddobetter
    coulddobetter Posts: 812
    edited August 2013
    Lighter, more tuneable, could even get a 120mm version. ( I run 120 sids xc only ) I would say spend the money on what you want rather than compromise and regret it .
  • Gibbo3771
    Lighter, more tuneable, could even get a 120mm version.

Sold, wife will kill me. Cheers lads, can always return them if I change my mind by the time they get here hehe.
  • Good one