Dog/Cat poo in garden - how do i stop it?

Maxxypriest
Maxxypriest Posts: 231
edited August 2013 in The cake stop
Any advice greatly appreciated

Every time I cut the front grass there seems to be some sort of package on the lawn for me to pick up

We don't have any animals so some cat/dog seems to be squatting on my lawn

I'm wondering what is the best way to rid my front grass of animals so this sh1t doesn't happen again

Ps - Ive got a 7 and 4 year old so bear traps etc wont work

Any help appreciated!

Scott

Comments

• Most likely Foxes or Cats. Either way invest in some marigolds and nappy sacks.
    Not what you want hear but unless you poison the buggers its the best you can do.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    scoobaru11 wrote:
    Most likely Foxes or Cats. Either way invest in some marigolds and nappy sacks.
    Not what you want hear but unless you poison the buggers its the best you can do.

Gets my vote.

Alternatively, I was in the garden centre the other day and spotted some cat deterant products. Chemicals to put on the garden were one option, some sort of ultrasonic device was the other. Not sure how effective they are, but not expensive so might be worth a punt.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I have a mains-powered ultrasonic scarer. Seems to do the trick - it's fairly low frequency though (I can just about hear it) so dogs may not like it.

Poisoning not recommended unless you want to end up in court.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Beat them at their own game. No, not like that - that would be disgusting! I mean like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Roar-Lio ... B0002B7OT2

Or just get an actual lion.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    For cats, get a few oranges and put their peel into a blender. Chop up nice and small, scatter in the garden.

Apparently foxes hate the smell of human hair clippings, so next time you got the barber, come home with a doggy bag.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    cats bury theirs so cats are not your problem.

Get a cat, it will keep other animals out of it's territory.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    team47b wrote:

Not if they crap on the lawn they don't.

We also have a cat and yes it does stop other cats only downside is our own cat does it instead right in the middle of the lawn
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Human hair. Go to your local barbers and ask for a sack of hair. Sprinkle liberally around garden.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • desweller
    team47b wrote:

Ha ha ha! No they don't. I've watched the little bastards and they just find some loose earth and then leave it on the top.

Another trick that I've heard of but have yet to try is to bury a fully inflated balloon with a shallow loose covering of earth. Worth doing just for the comedy value.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Very difficult to get rid of them unfortunately as they are creatures of habit once they've started. This was a big problem in our old house. We tried most suggestions we could, such as orange peel, teabags soaked in Jeyes fluid etc, but they were largely ineffective. The sonic scarers are quite good but we found out after buying ours and reading the instructions that it did not work with some cats, such as Persians and Siamese. Needless to say, one of the cats dumping in our garden was Siamese. We managed to control the problem in the end by putting up wire around the flower beds and keeping the lawn cut short. It didn't stop it completely but it was much better.
  • Thanks for all the insights so far

The sh1t is right on the lawn and it's a decent size (could almost be human) so assuming it's now not a cat as they bury theirs?

I'll invest in some of the methods one by one and see what works

Lets hope it's not a neighbour deficating on way back from the boozer! :-) I'm 100% confident that it's not!

Cheers
  • My problem was definitely cats and their poop wasn't always buried. It was often in the lawn and I only found it when mowing, as the OP does. Not pleasant.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    PIR water sprayers. They can be targeted on a specific area and cats soon get the message.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • desweller
    I do remember seeing a squirrel catapult once. Some ingenious individual built a tall frame with a PIR triggered latch in the bottom. The latch was attached to a steel bowl full of food. The bowl was attached to the top of the frame with 4 taut bungee cords.

The results were quite impressive.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Mayniac
    Mayniac Posts: 174
    Coffee grounds.
    This is not 'Nam, Smokey. This is bowling. There are rules.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    so, judging by the dimensions you have worked out that it is a dog. How many of your neighbours let their dog out without it being on a lead?

Return the parcels to the rightful owner :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Find who's dog it is...put said Shight in a large paper bag..place it on his doorstep and set alight...ring door bell and stand well back..to see said dog owner dance on the light dog shight...