New Look Wiggo

paulcuthbert
paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
edited August 2013 in Pro race
Just saw a pic of Bradley Wiggins after winning the stage at the Tour of Poland. Seems like he's put on a bit of weight again... More power for the time trials maybe?

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Just saw a pic of Bradley Wiggins after winning the stage at the Tour of Poland. Seems like he's put on a bit of weight again... More power for the time trials maybe?

He hasn't been racing so that's probably part of it.. will be interesting to see if he sheds the weight before ToB, or during ToB before the worlds.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He was heavier this year anyway - He'd put on muscle around his back to help him maintain position in TT's.

Not sure how much the ink in his cr@p tattoo's weighs though
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712

Something missing...
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Weight likely not much of an issue in tob - it's hardly alpine!

And yes I wouldn't read into it anymore than he's less committed this year and has put a new lbs on.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • sportvan
    sportvan Posts: 105
    7a_2982218.jpg
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Christ, what a round head he has got himself there. :D

Definitely on the heavier side.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    How hilly is the worlds TT?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I've seen seas which are more hilly:
    Cronometro-individuale-uomini-elite-600x280.png
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    ^ that bit at the front is a speed hump
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Fortunately, he's got a 6km run-up to build enough momentum to get his new lardy fat @rse over it...
  • RichN95 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I've seen seas which are more hilly:
    Cronometro-individuale-uomini-elite-600x280.png

He he, good going on the part of the Committee to find enough flat territory for that
  • napoleond
    In that case he's obviously going for outright power I would wager. Weight won't really be an issue for that course.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • okgo
    His weight has nothing to do with outright power, why would his power change by putting 2-3kg on?

He's clearly just had a better time outside of riding this time round, but as you say that weight will make little odds for the TT or the tour of britain.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • napoleond
    I thought GT riding was all about power to weight (and recovery) and a flat TT was about power to Cda. If you put 2-3kg of muscle on your power will likely go up. Just what I thought. I'm not a qualified sports coach or owt. Maybe he's just eaten some pies and had a few beers. Dunno. Excuse my ignorance.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Worrying less about the weight would also make sense if the rumoured crack at Paris-Roubaix and return to the track is on the cards on coming years. He's unlikely to be challenging for the Tour with Froome in pole position, and I can't see the Giro or Vuelta tempting him after this year's attempt.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • okgo
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I thought GT riding was all about power to weight (and recovery) and a flat TT was about power to Cda. If you put 2-3kg of muscle on your power will likely go up. Just what I thought. I'm not a qualified sports coach or owt. Maybe he's just eaten some pies and had a few beers. Dunno. Excuse my ignorance.

Yes, GT riding is all about power to weight, hence to have a shot at the TDF he was rake thin. And yes flat TT is about power/CdA - however putting on muscle will make no odds really to the power you can do over a sustained time period beyond a few minutes (it doesn't look like muscle anyway, just a bit more healthy BF %). Bear in mind wiggins probably has one of the biggest engines there is in cycling, and remarkably he famously managed to keep nearly all of it despite getting below 70kg at 6,3. a couple of KG really isn't going to be changing his drag that much either. I'm not a sports coach, but you're dangerously close to that disaster topic of thinking muscle = higher FTP etc! :lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I think if it was any other rider than Wiggo Nap might have apoint, but given that he got him self so so skinny for 2012, I think it's probably natural (and healthier!) that he's put on a bit more. However he's basically elevated himself to very very skinny from absurd, cannot be right skinny...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    Wasn't he down to something like 4% which is where the body starts getting very upset with you? He just looks healthy to me and with there are no mountains on a 200m track ;)
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Just enjoying our final day of our holiday in puerto pollensa and my g/f says that guy looks like wiggins...hang on it is wiggo with his wife and kids crossing the road to go into tolo s bar. He looked lean and skinny to us . Name dropping over lol.
  • B.A.'s in-flight magazine...

BAmag_zpsed9434d1.jpg
  • B.A.'s in-flight magazine...

BAmag_zpsed9434d1.jpg

Looks like Harold Steptoe.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.