Fox suspension service intervals

rapid_donkey
rapid_donkey Posts: 448
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Giant Trance X3 with Fox suspension. I got the bike new in May 2012, and its been used a fair bit since.
I read that the suspension should have a service/oil change every 30 hours.
I can do it all myself, will get some oil and the low friction seal kit and got all the tools to do it. The hardest part looks to be getting the shock out of the Trance frame.
Anyway, do you all stick to the 30 hour service reccomendation? I cant feel any degradation in performance, and have easily exceeded 30 hours.
Im planning to leave it until winter when I wont be riding so much.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fox service intervals are a joke.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Anyway, do you all stick to the 30 hour service reccomendation?
    Hell NO! :lol:
    I ride it until it feels a bit wrong, then I send it to TFTuned for a proper job, which is once every two or three years.
    I'll hapily strip down my Rockshox fork, but the Fox RC2 damper is like the insides of a swiss watch, so I let someone far less clumsy, and who has far more patience than I do it instead.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    How much do TFTuned charge for a service ?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    My trance forks are well over 30 hours use and they're only starting to feel run in.

Prices on the tftuned website
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • YeehaaMcgee
    adamfo wrote:
    How much do TFTuned charge for a service ?
    You know, it might be on their site. In fact, I know it is.
    I'll leave finding it to you, as an exercise.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    My forks and shock have just had their first service - after a year and around 1500 miles. Not a full service either just new oil and a clean. There was nothing wrong with them - performance wise or the internals/seals etc.

I may send them off to Mojo/TFT next year but at £200+ for forks and shocks it'll be once in a blue moon event.
  • Cheers for the replies.
    I will leave them until winter then, and will just do a fluid/seal service on them myself.
    Maybe winter 2014 (if I still have the bike) I will send the fork and shock off to be dismantled and properly serviced at Mojo or TF Tuned. It seems very expensive though.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    It is more expensive than last time I used them, but then, for a once every three years-ish service, it's not too bad.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cheers for the replies.
    I will leave them until winter then, and will just do a fluid/seal service on them myself.
    Maybe winter 2014 (if I still have the bike) I will send the fork and shock off to be dismantled and properly serviced at Mojo or TF Tuned. It seems very expensive though.
    Fox do need lots of TLC or this tends to happen.

6101081436_6e7875c35e.jpg
    6100533541_f187b9f3bb.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    nicklouse wrote:
    Fox do need lots of TLC or this tends to happen.
    6101081436_6e7875c35e.jpg
    Don't be silly. I hardly touch mine, and the lowers are still firmly attached :lol:

I do occasionally put some lubricant on the stanchions and bounce the forks up and down a bit, mind.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I do occasionally put some lubricant on the stanchions and bounce the forks up and down a bit, mind.
    that is known as TLC.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With Nick here, if you do nothing else, making sure the foam seals are lubricated will make them last a lot longer, Fox are renowned for stanchion wear if you don't....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • After every ride I wipe the stanchions down with baby wipes. And then every 5 or so rides I put some Finish Line Dry lube on the stanchions, let it soak into the seals a bit and then pump them up and down.
    The fork and shock seem perfectly fine at the minute, hence delaying the service. And if anything does go wrong, gives me an excuse to upgrade to a 140mm fork!
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Wipe mine down after every ride and apply a drop of fork juice, pump a few times and wipe off any excess or remaining dirt.
  • 97th choice
    Cheers for the replies.

I'd be interested to find out if you can push tune the trance specific fork.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Cheers for the replies.

I'd be interested to find out if you can push tune the trance specific fork.
    I don't see why not. Are the internals actually significantly different, or is it just an "angle-of-the-dangle" kind of thing?
  • 97th choice
    Dunno, but there are no travel spacers in it as it is made specifically as a 125mm fork, which makes me think that after market suppliers might not bother manufacturing special parts for it.

ETA: I've taken the radical step of actually emailing them to find out. Crazy!

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Just got back from Giant Twickenham, took my Anthem in to have the pivot bearings looked at/replaced.

Mechanic was pretty good, took the bike straight off me and downstairs for a quick check-over. Said that the bearings were worn, but had a bit of life left in them. However, he asked me when the shocks had last been serviced. I said that the forks were over three years old and shock just over a year and neither had ever been serviced... :oops:

That's when he told me the recommendations... Fek, they are ridiculous. Something like 45hrs for shock and 70hrs for the forks. If I had to pay for that I'd be riding a rigid. Apparently it's even shorter for Kashima coated gear (which I have on my Yeti :cry: ).

Anyway, the reason for sharing this is that they charge £75 & £45 for full services of forks & shock respectively. I thought that wasn't bad (once every couple of years! :wink: ) so left it with him.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Dunno, but there are no travel spacers in it as it is made specifically as a 125mm fork, which makes me think that after market suppliers might not bother manufacturing special parts for it.

ETA: I've taken the radical step of actually emailing them to find out. Crazy!

will be more dependent on the damper internals as this is what Push tuning will address

they say not to bother with some high-end forks as they already have plenty of adjustment

worth asking the question tho
  • 97th choice
    Push tuning not available.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500