Ventoux getting harder?

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited August 2013 in Road general
First rode Mont Ventoux in 2007 and when I got to the summit, took this photo...

9436403564_4152efcf7b_b.jpg

Rode it again this year and took this photo at the summit...

9433667339_0d1251c7a4_b.jpg

No wonder I found it harder!

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    Tectonics at work
    left the forum March 2023
  • Just multiply difference in temperature by expansion ratio of limestone - might make up for 1m
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • Alitogata
    Alitogata Posts: 148
    Wikipedia says that the elevation is 1912 m .. :D:D I think that it growths bigger.. :lol:
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Photos don't work for me!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,899
    inflation
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Depends how hot it is. It's shorter in the winter
  • All those extra calories you will burn.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,213
    LegendLust wrote:

Doesn't the snow depth more than compensate though?!

Maybe the pole the sign is on is a metre longer now?
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I like this thread - so officially the mountain will be harder by the time I ride it next month than when Froome et al went up it in the TdF?? :)
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    I like this thread - so officially the mountain will be harder by the time I ride it next month than when Froome et al went up it in the TdF?? :)

No, measurements have become more accurate. Although it's been a debate whether the Bald Giant is 1911 or 1912m for a couple of years. Really not sure why though.

That said, yes, I'm sure it will be harder for you than for Froome. But you may ride with more style, I'll give you that without knowing you.
  • Alitogata
    Alitogata Posts: 148
    LegendLust wrote:

So they've installed the sing on wither and wrote the wikipedia article on summer!! :P :lol: We have to remind them though, not to update wikipedia article during a heatwave, because they are going to discourage a lot of people to climb the mountain.. :lol::lol:
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    This can't possibly be true. I rode up it in 2000 and it took me 4 and a half hours. Chris Froome was much quicker at the TdF, surely Mt Ventoux must be getting easier?