New bike advice....

Danny21
Danny21 Posts: 4
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello all, just joined up although being watching the site for some time. I am looking at purchasing a mountain bike, primarily for trail work, off road nothing to serious ... To be honest primarily to try and keep fit... Although, as always there is so many options I am struggling for choice! I am in the progress of looking at a variety of reviews on here and through the internets. However would appreciate any owners, riders, or personal opinions on a few bikes.

In particular I have found the following within what I am looking for;

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=2126&category_id=144

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/lapierre/zesty-214-2013-mountain-bike-ec043662

Very keen on the Lapierre, although I hear some horror stories with frame's cracking, BB's breaking, and warranty concerns which does put me off. I have always being a fan of the Ghost, just read very little reviews on them..?
Is there something or anything I am missing? My biggest annoyance at the moment, is there is very few shops in the Birmingham area to actually go and see/try bikes :lol::lol:

I should clarify I am looking at sort of £2000 maximum really...

Any help would be appreciated, otherwise I have some reading to do :D

Cheers,

Dan

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Ghost is better suited for the usage you describe, in fact a decent hardtail would probably be better suited to what you describe and would cost you about 2/3rds as much for a similar spec.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Danny21
    Thanks for the reply, again I am not sure on hardtail/full sus... From what I read, from a general comfort point of view, they suggest full sus.... Hence me choosing the two above,
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I keep looking at these, unfortunately (for me) they only have large & medium.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b65s1p43 ... PEL-3-2012
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Have a look at 29ers, if you're not into the very agressive Black runs a 29er will be good

The Zesty and the Ghost are very different, I wouldn't recommend the Zesty unless you really want to go mad on the DH, it's not a bad bike by any means but with a 66.5 degree head angle it's build for the Black runs and you will feel it to be heavy on the hill, but it's a tank on flats and downs

Have a look at the Whyte 29er 120mm, won trail bike of the year and it will tackle any red route you give it without being a pain on the climb
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    ej2320 wrote:
    The Zesty and the Ghost are very different, I wouldn't recommend the Zesty unless you really want to go mad on the DH, it's not a bad bike by any means but with a 66.5 degree head angle it's build for the Black runs and you will feel it to be heavy on the hill, but it's a tank on flats and downs

My 2010 Zesty 514 weighs in at 30lbs smack on with dropper post and flats.
    Bike mainly does afan y wall etc but climbs as well as decents.
    Cant see me changing except for newer model if funds/womens would allow :P
    The Spicy is the more heavy duty brother.
  • Danny21
    Thank you for all the replies, and advice :)