Disc brake converstion A2Z DM-UNI

I7 Extreme
I7 Extreme Posts: 228
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a scott Voltage YZ4 which I want to convert to Disc brake using one of those A2Z DM-UNI adapters but I've got a feeling it wouldn't fit, I've had a look in the FAQ's and there's examples of bikes with the adapter on but no examples of what the flat dropouts and tab less bikes look like. Could someone explain to me what tab less bikes are or tell me if it would fit? (I'll upload a picture in a bit) http://www.dotbike.com/p/5310/A2Z-DM-UNI-Frame-Adapter

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tbh post a picture of your dropout chain and seatstay area and we can tell you if it will work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I7 Extreme
    Here's a picture of the dropout
    9433433747_83dc212e61_b.jpg

photo 2 will be a while, going to have lunch
  • I7 Extreme
    here's the seatstay
    9436474196_25529a2338_b.jpg
  • I7 Extreme
    Finally Here's where I think you mean by the chain area
    9433764679_fef255dcba_b.jpg
  • mac-cos
    mac-cos Posts: 80
    I7 Extreme wrote:
    here's the seatstay
    9436474196_25529a2338_b.jpg

I used one on an orange X2 some time ago. The chamfer you can see at the bottome left of the pic (non drive side start of the seat stay will be in the way of the adapter as its effectively two flat plates that clamp onto the dropout. You may be able to tweak the chamfer or adapter but it could end up compromising the frame or the brake not being positioned correctly.
  • I7 Extreme
    So an ideal frame should be how mine is but continues to be square right to the dropouts?
  • mac-cos
    mac-cos Posts: 80
    Ideal frame would have large flat dropout plates with the seat stay tubes/weld to the dropout being higher up the stay than yours. It may be dooable as I had to mod the dropout stay and adapter plate to fit it to my old orange X2 but that bike was old and not worth much . in the end I realised that I was wasting money on the orange and changed to a new(er) bike and got a good deal on a new old stock Giant Reign X2, though the desire to update is still there with that
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You'd have better braking if you adjusted the V's properly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    And tidy some of that shite up.

Looking at the bike, the marginal gain you'll get in performance with the correct brake I would think is dubious in vfm and effort terms.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Disc on the front, V on the back. All you need.
  • I7 Extreme
    Thanks for all of your advise, I'll get a new wheel or rim, brake pads (braking surface worn on current rim) and stick with V brakes on the back.