My first road bike since I've been a grown up :) carrera TDF

Myersng
Myersng Posts: 25
edited August 2013 in Your road bikes
Here is my first road bike in 25ish years :) I have a Scott Yecora Disc mountain bike but after doing a sportive on that last year I needed somthing faster. After going into my local bike shop with £300 - £400 and was told that they couldn't help in that budget I tried halfords. This was on one of their offers at £299

WP_000091.jpg

I bought it boxed as I could collect it within an hour or I'd have to wait for 2 days for them to build it. So after I had built it it looked like this.

WP_000092.jpg

I have ridden many miles on this so far with the only problem happened after me falling off. I have upgraded a few parts so far. One being the forks which I have swaped for these.

WP_000583.jpg

I am very pleased with the bike and have ridden a couple of thousand of miles on it so far and am loving it.
I will post some more picks later.

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Ha - there can't be many Carrera TDFs out there with Colnago forks! Nice one.
  • Myersng
    They are nice forks but no-one will know as they are yellow now
  • Bagggers
    Bagggers Posts: 348
    You painted the Colnago forks Yellow ????????
    Cervelo S5 VWD DA Di2
    Cervelo P5 Six RED
    Cervelo R5 Record 11
    Dolan Preffisio Winter Trainer
    Scott Plasma Ltd SRAM Red
    Scott Foil Premium Di2
    S-Works Venge Di2
    Giant TCR Adv SL Di2
    Ribble Gran Fondo built for our 10 month winter
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Bagggers wrote:
    :shock:
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Myersng wrote:
    They are nice forks but no-one will know as they are yellow now

Hades is that way. >>>>
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Sounds like you're putting the miles in 8) Enjoy it!

edit -

Congratulations too for becoming a grown up by age 25. I'm 31 (I think) and still waiting.
    tick - tick - tick
  • Myersng
    Bagggers wrote:

Yeah, they looked rubbish in white on the yellow bike and they were a £26 eBay bargain :) judging from your reactions maybe I shouldn't have !
  • Myersng
    metronome wrote:
    Congratulations too for becoming a grown up by age 25. I'm 31 (I think) and still waiting.

I am 38 but had a Raleigh Winner 10 spd when I was a teenager, about 25 years ago, and now have 3 kids so have to class myself as a grown up. Still like a big kid on the bike though :)
  • Bagggers
    Myersng wrote:
    Bagggers wrote:

Yeah, they looked rubbish in white on the yellow bike and they were a £26 eBay bargain :) judging from your reactions maybe I shouldn't have !

Just a bit of sacrilege but to be fair, you did what worked for you so fair play to you buddy. The main thing is to enjoy the ride, whatever you are riding and in whatever the weather. Top job.
    Cervelo S5 VWD DA Di2
    Cervelo P5 Six RED
    Cervelo R5 Record 11
    Scott Foil Premium Di2
    S-Works Venge Di2
    Giant TCR Adv SL Di2
  • Myersng
    Here are pics of how it looks now :-

temporary.jpg

temporary-5.jpg

I have put on SPD-SL pedals, a compact chain set, vittoria rubino pro tyres, new rear mech, Colnago all carbon forks and Charge spoon saddle. I need some new bottle holders as the ones on it are cheap plastic one and one broke when I went over a nasty pot hole !! I'm not sure that I will change anything else for a while as I'm really happy with the way it rides now :) (although I am bidding on a set of R500 wheels on ebay).
  • Bagggers
    This is a bike.......No,.......This is your bike.........Its got (although nobody will ever know), Colnago carbon forks and your stamp on it. Enjoy the life out of it and give it the 200 miles a week that it deserves.

Top job, oh and "Grow Up", nah no rush to do that.
    Cervelo S5 VWD DA Di2
    Cervelo P5 Six RED
    Cervelo R5 Record 11
    Scott Foil Premium Di2
    S-Works Venge Di2
    Giant TCR Adv SL Di2
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Bollox to those people saying "oh no! oh no! They're Colnago forks! You can't paint the forks" The way that you have done them is cool.

They cost £26. They're a bargain. Just because they have a name printed on them means nowt. They're a pair of forks to do a job.

The bike looks cool, you're riding and loving it - brilliant stuff Enjoy!

How about some PX carbons for wheel (at £350ish they're not a bad price, roll well, last for ages and something you can transfer inwards to your next bike in a couple of years)

Don't worry mate, as you ride more you'll offend more and more sad club types - just do it, its brilliant fun. They generally now shyt and can't ride for toffee anyway.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    top job OP now take the reflectors off the wheels and save some weight ;)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    8) Looking good.
  • Myersng
    I have just won some R500 shimano wheels on ebay with 8 speed cassette, so straight swop, that will go on next. I will have to see what ratios they are and which rolls better and then use the others as wet weather/turbo trainer wheels :) I'll post some pics when I have them :).
  • Myersng
    Thanks for all your comments. I am loving my bike, popped out for 33 miles on it today. Then did 17 miles on my mountain bike too :)
  • Myersng
    And now the R500 are fitted, it rides very smooth and is silent. Loving it :)

temporary-6.jpg

temporary-1-1.jpg

Not quite as easy as I thought as they needed greasing and straightening and the free wheel was broken but now they are on it rolls very well :)
  • amazing job! how about yellow bar tape?..... :shock:
    Colnago C59 Italia ...... I wish.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Myersng wrote:
    And now the R500 are fitted, it rides very smooth and is silent. Loving it :)

temporary-6.jpg

temporary-1-1.jpg

Not quite as easy as I thought as they needed greasing and straightening and the free wheel was broken but now they are on it rolls very well :)

Shit - dude - there's a really long green snake under your wheel.
  • Myersng
    I am thinking about yellow & black bar tape as I have a pair of 105 shifters I might fit but am reluctant to change them well the original ones seem to be working so well. It would be easier to change gear on the drops with the 105s :) have the whole 105 group set, brakes, mechs and chainset I am thinking about fitting but might leave it until I get problems with the standard stuff :)