I can't find anything to suit me

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am really in a muddle because I am looking for a bike that will do most disciplines but also has a low cost.

I've had a look around and there is almost nothing in my market despite a few expensive bikes. All I would like is a hardtail with more than 120mm travel (NOT Suntour) to suit a 6' 1" and is comfortable in blue and red marked trails.

The closest I've come accross is a Commencal Ramones 1 but it's still out of my price range.
link: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/comm ... -prod83498

Is there any other ways I can go round this (such as buying a cheaper bike and upgrading the fork) that would be cheaper and worthwhile?

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• Rad2474
    Rad2474 Posts: 162
    I have a bantu,gets me round the cycle paths,trail centres,local woods and xc, does just fine. What's wrong with suntour forks? Sure i'd like a better bike but i have other things in my life to pay for first so i have to budget but for the money it does me ok.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nothing wrong with the better Suntour forks, better than the worse Rockshox for certain!

What's your budget? At £750 plus you won't find much fitted with Suntours.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MTB noob
    Rad2474: This is a bit awkward because I'm upgrading from a Bantu because mainly for this reason is that I now need a large frame instead of a medium.

Also another issue is that it is of a Deore/XT spec so if I buy another it'll be a significant downgrade.

About the Suntour forks is that I've got some replacements under warranty after my brake mount sheered so I only have 100mm travel which ruins the geometry and seems unsuitable for a red trail.

The Rookie: I should have £600 - 650 at a stretch and I took the Bokor into consideration but Halfords don't sell them anymore.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    There's someone selling a Ragley Blue Pig frame in the Sales section:
    viewtopic.php?f=40092&t=12934310

If you don't mind doing a bit of assembling of course and it's the right size for you. You could get a nice pair of forks and still have a bit of money left over for other upgrades.
  • The Rookie
    So you have a £600-650 budget and link to a £750 bike?

I think pete_s has the right idea, get the frame you want and the forks you want and use the rest off the bantu that will fit, as long as you get a frame with a threaded BB the very worst you'll be looking at is
    Headset
    Front mech
    Seatpost (or shim)
    Seatpost clamp

And you'll get £40-60 back for your frame and forks!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Building a Ragley from a frame my be risking, I spoke to my LBS and they have to do some machining to get the frame ready to build

Look at vitus on CRC, it's unlikely you'll find more than 120mm for £650
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    That second hand one would be good, they just have to machine it after it comes from the factory
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    What type of machining? Do you mean facing?
  • The Rookie
    In which case it needs 'machining' if it hasn't been, not just if it's fresh from the factory!
  • MTB noob
    Sorry for the late reply.

The thing is that I have long arms and the body size for a large so the frame size would have to be a (19-20" or long). If I could manage well with a medium I would keep the bike as it does it's job well.

The only things that need changing really is the frame and fork but there's nothing cheap and within my budget right now.