Night riding

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited August 2013 in MTB general
I do enjoy a good night ride but unlike most of my mates I like to use the absolute minimum (150 lumens) of lighting so that it still feels like night.
Everyone else seems to go for as many lights as they can carry.
Does anyone else go for my style of night riding? Or is it just me?

Comments

• I'd go for night vision goggles, if you could guarantee no oncoming lights :lol:
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    I still use my hong kong £30 1600 lumen monster :D

viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12807351

still for sale here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130568084707? ... 1423.l2649

I light to light the trail up like a second sun, have a fenix torch for the helmet too
  • slindborg wrote:
    I'd go for night vision goggles, if you could guarantee no oncoming lights :lol:

Very little depth perception using them, should make things VERY intersting. :)
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Well,,,,, if I'm out on my own, I do use mimimal lighting on trails that aren't too technical or that i do know well. I like the feeling of being out at night too. I have ridden using the moonlight a few times, briefly too. My eyes get accustomed to whatever light levels are available.

However,,,,, when i'm out with the pack, it seems to have turned into some sort of arms race, with the main problem being the shadow their lights cast, leaving me with a dark patch of trail i can't see any detail on. So in a pack, I up my lumens, just to be able to see where I'm going.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    slindborg wrote:
    I'd go for night vision goggles, if you could guarantee no oncoming lights :lol:

Very little depth perception using them, should make things VERY intersting. :)

Then there is the weight of them, you'd have a broken neck by the end
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    One big light does me rightly. Hasn't stopped me going over the bars in places where the ground disappears though!
  • MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    Some cyclist need an eye test & an IQ test. There is no need for 1000 to 2000 lumen's specially when they have three lights (or more as well as a direct stare head light) flashing away an hour before sunset. My eyes work so I can cycle on unlit roads/tracks with up to 150 lumen's
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    MrM wrote:
    Some cyclist need an eye test & an IQ test. There is no need for 1000 to 2000 lumen's specially when they have three lights
    eh? Why does having three lights make any difference?
    (or more as well as a direct stare head light) flashing away an hour before sunset. My eyes work so I can cycle on unlit roads/tracks with up to 150 lumen's
    Depends how fast you want to go, and how technical the terrain is. That's why rally cars have BIG lights, whereas road cars, generally, don't.

I would quite happily ride round Llandegla red, for example, with a half decent light, but I'd think twice about riding down the woods above Llanberis without some considerable illumination. (not that I'd ride there obviously, since I'd get shouted at by jobsworth types :lol: )
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    i tend to use 1 xml t6 light and keep a spare in my backpack, othertimes i use both on the front.

I need to get more waterproof protection for the battery packs though.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    when i'm climbing or riding a fireroad I usually just use my 300 lumen torch thingy. if i'm going fast over some rough/technical stuff then 2 torches and a 900 lumen magic shine for me.

I want to see the tree, stump, rock or whtever that I crash in to :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    or the frsot patch you can hardly make out with out decent illumination....

personally i say it dependsont he terrain, a little up fire tracks, alot down trickier terrain for me.
  • what if your light goes out while you're in the middle of nowhere :shock:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    RidingSeed wrote:
    what if your light goes out while you're in the middle of nowhere :shock:
    Well, that's when the bogeyman comes and gets you.
  • welshkev
    RidingSeed wrote:
    what if your light goes out while you're in the middle of nowhere :shock:
    Well, that's when the bogeyman comes and gets you.

Yep, the monsters come out in the dark.

To be honest my battery has gone before. Scared the shit out if me lol
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I don't hugely enjoy night riding, I generally do it because in winter particularly it's basically always dark at the times when I can ride, therefore I like to use bright lights.

I totally get why you'd not want to use super bright ones, just not for me!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I like two on the bars and one on the lid, all XML T6 on medium power to make sure I've got enough juice to get me home. I smashed one of the torches in a crash at the end of last winter though so I'm thinking of getting a proper T6 bike light again for this year. Definitely need a light on the bar and one on the head though, it's horrible riding in the dark without either.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • welshkev
    prawny wrote:
    I like two on the bars and one on the lid, all XML T6 on medium power to make sure I've got enough juice to get me home. I smashed one of the torches in a crash at the end of last winter though so I'm thinking of getting a proper T6 bike light again for this year. Definitely need a light on the bar and one on the head though, it's horrible riding in the dark without either.

yeah, my magic shine goes on my helmet. it's horrible when you've got no light the way you are looking...fun though :lol:
  • prawny
    welshkev wrote:
    prawny wrote:

yeah, my magic shine goes on my helmet. it's horrible when you've got no light the way you are looking...fun though :lol:

Not when you hear creaking in the trees :shock:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I've got an old Hope LED on the bars (don't judge me - they're from back in the day when cheapy DX lights weren't available) and a home made head torch. I think in total probably have something like 500 lumens when its all on full power.

I only need that when I'm descending something technical or going very fast so I can look well ahead, if climbing or going slow then usually I'm happy with putting the lights on their lowest settings prob 200 lumens in total. Its not that I want the night ride experience, I just simply don't think I need more for the trails I have locally.

Although recently mates have started to join in and they have some mini suns on their heads and end up casting shadows over my lights so thinking of getting an upgrade.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Aah yes, the light arms race is a big problem, in fact I think that brighter lights alone have driven the need for brighter lights, if that makes sense!

Even with my older 960lm Maxx-D and a Joystick of about 200lm you're entirely in shadow if someone with a Six-Pack or Reflex rides behind you!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The XML T6 with quad battery packs can be had now for a paltry £15 on ebay. Are a bit spotty, but work well with a floody torch, or just put some frosting on the lense.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Just looking on eBay now at cheap lights. Some bargains. 5000lm cree for 25 quid. Are they any good though or should I spend the extra and get the Magicshine double one?
  • lbalony
    lbalony wrote:
    Just looking on eBay now at cheap lights. Some bargains. 5000lm cree for 25 quid. Are they any good though or should I spend the extra and get the Magicshine double one?

http://bit.ly/15lgBgL
  • lbalony
    lbalony wrote:
    lbalony wrote:

http://bit.ly/15lgBgL

Anybody have that ^^^^. Looks alot like the magicshine one.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No way is it 5000 lumens, complete fantasy! 2000 at the very most. Still, for the money, looks like it could be very good.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    On Thursday evening I was still out after dark (hadn't intended to be, I don't have any proper lights), and on the way back the canal towpath was very, very dark with only one LED marker light to see by. Nearly got very wet, lol...
  • lbalony
    supersonic wrote:
    No way is it 5000 lumens, complete fantasy! 2000 at the very most. Still, for the money, looks like it could be very good.

Ha your prob dead right judging by the chinese digi box I once bought and its great advert but very under powered lump of plastic I received. Still 2000 Lumens is good. Only concern is battery life/quality! But at that price think its worth a try!

Anyone any experience with the batteries that come with these things? Or good cheapo ones to upgrade too?
  • prawny
    I looked at that one, the smooth reflectors are more spotty than orange peel ones (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) so probably not ideal for on the bars, also for dual led ones I'd prefer a 6 cell battery to a 4 cell one, but I suppose you're still getting double the cells per led compared to a torch.

Hmm, time for serious thinking is now.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    The battery packs on these are usually a bit rubbish but ok for the money you are spending.

A reasonable upgrade might be getting a new pack made up by someone like MTB batteries.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I was looking at that one as something new for this winter but ordered this Trustfire the other day instead...

imagelibrary.php?src=ns3W19DJ2JHo7M6jn5OaqpmXlZCuqM_i1g..&w=600&h=600&f=jpg&q=90&hash=8bee48b293e7e333e765b9e7cc7597c2

$(KGrHqJ,!ogFHwGUiT9HBR84fZff4g~~60_12.JPG

.. as it has a remote switch to save you taking your hands off the bars and a rubberised battery pack. And Manafont is a company i've ordered loads of stuff from before without any problems. Oh! And it works out at £28 including shipping.