Body Armour for stoma

hainman
hainman Posts: 699
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
After just having had bowel surgery and been left with a stoma,im thinking i might invest in some sort of body armour to protect the stoma in any offs i might incur.had a look at CRC and the vest type things look a bit bulky for just covering my stomach area.i stumbled across a Thor belt type thing im wondering if it might solve my problem.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/thor ... -prod91553
Anyone else im my situation that could give me some advice or put me on the right track

Cheers

Craig
Giant Reign 2
Crohnie

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thats about the only thing to protect thay area but it needs to be tight to work.
  • hainman
    cheers RockmonkeySc there is a stoma specific one but it needs to be ordered from the US and its 130 dollars for a wee plate of plastic,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Is this any good? Doesn't look very bulky, but might get a bit warm.

This is advertised as paintball protection, but I'm sure hat CRC used to sell them for mtb'ing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NO-FEAR-EMPIR ... 53ec65a9db
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    What's a stoma?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Look it up.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 97th choice
    PaulBox wrote:

This is advertised as paintball protection, but I'm sure hat CRC used to sell them for mtb'ing.

Looks almost identical to something they sell for mtb use

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rockmonkeysc
    PaulBox wrote:

Thats similar to a 661 pressure suit. Good for downhill but you will sweat like a fat bird in a cake shop. Even pushing up hills in that is horrible.
  • 97th choice
    Nah, it's more like a roost guard.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    PaulBox wrote:

Thats similar to a 661 pressure suit. Good for downhill but you will sweat like a fat bird in a cake shop. Even pushing up hills in that is horrible.
    It's nothing like a 661 pressure suit.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Look it up.
    I've tried, and still none the wiser. No need to be a spazwangle about it.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Look it up.

Wiki
  • 97th choice
    Look it up.

I was trying not to be insensitive to the OP, seeing as the first hit found when you type 'stoma' pretty much explains it then you must be denser than I thought.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rockmonkeysc
    PaulBox wrote:
    PaulBox wrote:

It's nothing like a 661 pressure suit.

Similar style, hard armour but looks like it could be even hotter. More like 1990's armour.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Look it up.

I was trying not to be insensitive to the OP, seeing as the first hit found when you type 'stoma' pretty much explains it then you must be denser than I thought.
    :roll:
    Sensitive my arris, you're just being a cnut. Turns out there's many types of Stoma, I still don't understand what exactly is being mentioned, so I can't really suggest anything suitable.
    I've had several pieces of body armour, some tight, some with more room to breathe. If the OP has a colostomy bag, then some will be far less suitable than others, won't they?
    Now pipe down you judgemental arris.
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    I'm gonna assume these: http://www.stomaplex.com/ are the ones you've seen that are pretty pricey?

Being in healthcare - might I suggest you see if you can see a local orthotician who may very well be able to make you something the same if not better because it will be sized for your individual stoma. It may be cheaper but obviously I couldn't promise that (on the assumption this is done privately by someone - I honestly couldn't tell you if they'll do it on the NHS - but it may be worth asking your GP for a referral to them to see if they can do it - all depends on how long the waiting lists are I guess on what you choose to do).

All NHS health boards will have an orthotics department for making splints, shoe adjustments all the way up to artificial limb specialities - they'd definitely be able to produce a hard shield backed with Velcro for you.
  • hainman
    yeh tom barton thats one of the ones i was looking at,thats cool,will try and fone the stoma nurse and see if she can refer me to one,or i will see the gp to organise something.......
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • YeehaaMcgee
    hainman wrote:
    yeh tom barton thats one of the ones i was looking at,thats cool,will try and fone the stoma nurse and see if she can refer me to one,or i will see the gp to organise something.......
    Hmm. From seeing the shaping of those, it would almost undoubtedly be best to get something specific like that, even if you do wear body armour over it. There's a chance that body armour could apply pressure in very uncomfortable ways, particularly the ones which also function as a quite tight kidney belt.
  • As a qualified nurse who has worked in this area it may sound odd when I say you probably won't need anything at all. I appreciate your concerns though. In the very early stages when the wound is healing and abdominal muscles repair then maybe yes. My advice would be to consult your stoma nurse . The stoma is pretty tough,there's documented evidence of someone being kicked in the belly by a horse with no damage done.
  • hainman
    @yeehamcghee,thats why im trying to find something in the body armour style as these run at a high price but you cant really put a price on yer health and if it gives me peace of mind its money well spent.it doesnt look as though it would be to hard to make something myself its just finding the right material.hard plastic would be my 1st thought but not sure if that would be tough enough.|could actually be a wee business there if the right material and design can be found....
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • hainman
    @coulddobetter.ye she told me its pretty tough for being a wee thing,suppose its just phycological more than physical,but a bag bursting could have a more damning effect than the stoma taking a battering.sh** everywhere isnt the best look haha
    Going to fone the stoma nurse as she mentioned a guard of sorts before i left hospital...
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm, Hard to tell without having experienced it really, but I'd definitely rule out the Pressure suit. Not only does the armour not extend low enough, but the waist (kidney) belt would cause issues, as I mentioned above.
    Beyond that, very few people offer armour for the abdomen. Maybe your best bet would be visiting a few bike shops and seeing what you find protects the right area, and is comfortable. Remember to try it out in a riding position, since the riding position may affect comfort too.
    Maybe check out Evans, or one of the big bike stores, who'll have a far larger range than a local shop.
  • Depends whether it is iliostomy or colostomy. If the latter you will find you can regulate quite well via diet. There are loads of different products out there and you are bang on when you say fear of damage to stoma and leaking are your main worries. Trust me that will settle down .

A bit insensitive but I blame nurses humour but why do some clowns on this site behave like arse holes ?

Wishing you all the best in your return to cycling
  • YeehaaMcgee
    On a slightly sillier note, maybe you should ask them to sort you out with something made of whatever Camelbak make their bladders out of. I've landed on those things from some great heights, onto some pointy rocks, and damned, those things are tough :lol:
  • 97th choice
    Look it up.

Sensitive my arris, you're just being a cnut. Turns out there's many types of Stoma, I still don't understand what exactly is being mentioned, so I can't really suggest anything suitable.
    I've had several pieces of body armour, some tight, some with more room to breathe. If the OP has a colostomy bag, then some will be far less suitable than others, won't they?

Oh look, all of a sudden you're an expert. It's not actually all about you, d1ck.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Look it up.

Oh look, all of a sudden you're an expert. It's not actually all about you, d1ck.
    Are you for real? I mean, seriously, What the hell is wrong with you?
  • 97th choice
    WTF does any of that passive aggressive nonsense mean? Take it to PM if you want to argue.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500