bent........ tyre????

jerryfudd
jerryfudd Posts: 343
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Jumped my bike and had a bad land that felt a slide to one side and after taking a look the wheel is perfectly in shape but the tyre bows out and wobbles now???

Tyre is a Specialized Captain Control running tubeless...... guy in a bike shop said it could be because its a thin foldable tyre and the beads can brake?

Tried taking it off and then back on the rim and the bow on the tyre isn't as bad now but still very noticeable.

Only thing different thats happened today is that its been in my Thule ProRide carrier and I really went to town on pulling that wheel securing strap? ....could that have started the problem?

Anyway anyone got any advice and if it is a new tyre what tubeless ones are available for a reasonable price?

thanks,

Dan

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Never ever ever seen a bead break. Ever. Is it seated properly?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jerryfudd
    cooldad wrote:
    Never ever ever seen a bead break. Ever. Is it seated properly?

yes, took it right down twice and rotated it on the rim and then re-inflated.

just picked some 2.2 captain s-works so hoping that will put an end to the problem but not the mystery.

will clean it up and stick it on a spare rim with a tube and see what happens.

Dan
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    The carcass could have failed if the tyre actually bulges, rather then stays the same size but is not true to the rim.
  • jerryfudd
    new tyres are fine - phew!

took the s-works back and just stayed with captain control again.

it was so weird.... they have a central line of nobbles and watching it as the whe turned was just making S shapes moving about 5-7mm.

Dan
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Sounds like the bead had just been unseated slightly from the rim, pushing the tyre over a bit. If so, nothing to worry about.
    I've got a Maxxis ignitor on the front wheel which just refuses to seat properly, even at very high pressure, or soap and water on t' rim. So I ignore it. It's bound to go BANG! and pop into the right place eventually.