Retrofit Di2 internal to a Ti frame

allmountain76
allmountain76 Posts: 328
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Im looking for some advice really as to Di2 options on a Ti frame.

Currently have a Qoroz Race Won. I am looking at di2. The frame is not designed for Di2 internal wiring.

The question is, do i get a frame repairer to look at making the necessary holes for internal di2 wiring or go external?

Clearly the required drilling will void the lifetime warranty (a big consideration). However, i'm wondering if Ti is more feasible in this respect than say carbon for any reason?

There are some of the holes already in place (drain hole on chainstay - rear mech, drain hole in bb shell - battery and possibly f mech). These would need opening up from 3mm to 7.5mm. There would also need to be a new hole in the down tube for the main cable exit near the head tube.

Apparently Qoroz have already done a Race Won with no adverse effects so far (going to discuss this further with them on Monday) but they wont sanction it officially so warranty is still void.

My main question is one of opinion really. Should i bite the bullet and go for it or should is there something glaring that im missing in terms of structural integrity.

Ive spoken to a couple of engineers who understand the stresses in a frame and they cant see anything obvious but nor are they frame builders!

Im just concerned that external di2 wiring rarely looks neat unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Opinions?

Comments

• mcdonji1
    mcdonji1 Posts: 121
    I am in same position except looking to fit Campag EPS to titanium frame. I believe a number of people have done this themselves but I have still to find someone who would undertake the work.

I have a titanium frame that needs a repair to deraillier hanger so will enquire about frame drilling when I get round to seeking a quote for repairs.

Jim
    Kind words butter no parsnips.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Interested too...

If I ever upgrade my ti frame I'd want Di2 option and retrofit opens up more options for a bargain on an older frame.
  • Apparently Enigma do it and charge about £180 to £250.

I've sent Jim a message on here. I could easily do it myself with some assistance from an engineer pal and some milling kit. However, my biggest concern is frame integrity.

Will post back here when Jim from Enigma replies. Would far rather let a ti expert loose with my beloved Qoroz than break out the dremel!
  • Did you do this frame mod or get someone to do it for you?
    I have done a Cervelo S3 without any trouble.
    I would like to do my titanium frame.
  • Every Di2-compatible Ti frame I've seen has had Ti strenghtening discs (washers) welded on top of the entry/exit holes. For a reason, I'd hazard a guess. Just drilling may not be a good idea.

EDIT: Oh, just saw thread was from last August....
  • Certainly Titanium tube is very thin section and putting holes in is a stress raiser, so I get the reason for adding a washer or support tab.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I've just had a retro fit done on my GF's Bianchi (carbon, not metal).

For aesthetics, it has to be internal, the external wiring looks horrendous. If you are concerned about drilling the frame, is your manufacturer able to drill it for you? (I am not familiar with Qoros). Can the frame be sent to them for the modifications? If it is internally cabled, this will involve opening some cable holes out by 1 or 2mm diameter, to get the Shimano cable plugs through.

Even my die hard Campag fanboi LBS wouldn't consider fitting EPS. Di2 works perfectly with Campag groupsets (in 10 and 11 speed configs).
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Cutting and welding?
    Blast finishing?

You only need to drill 3 holes.
    The main issue is putting the junction box in or around the bottom bracket.
    As long as you have hole in the bottom bracket for the seat tube, down tube and drive side chainstay you are in business.

I've done 3 frames, Van Nicholas, Serotta and a Lynskey Helix without any issues. Not cutting, welding or blasting!!!
    The drilling cost no more than £50
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Titanium is hard to drill using regular DIY tools - you need sharp, high quality drills and plenty of cutting fluid to prevent galling. Best done with a drill press and clamping the frame firmly.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I'd avoid drilling, the section is far too thin, and great risk of the drill 'snatching' on breakthough. You'd be better off cutting the holes using a carbide burr or a mounted point (miniature grinding wheel) with a Dremel tool.
  • Agreed.
    I never said I used DIY tools.
    A decent engineering shop can do it.