Mtb factories please show the weights of your bikes

janellesgaard
janellesgaard Posts: 3
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Hi am I the only one missing weight specification of mountain bikes on tech specs sheet from the factories ?
The have loads of geometry numbers, but almost anyone shows what their bikes weight.

Like this page if you agree
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Show-the-weight-specs-on-Mountainbikes/211134348965814?id=211134348965814&sk=info

Comments

• AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    I think that you need a road bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Theres no point unless there is an international standard to say how they are weighed.
    Most weights which are published are calculated from the claimed weights of components and a calculated weight of the frame. The end result is a meaningless figure which could be way off the actual weight of the bike you get in the showroom.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Some do some don't. Any half decent LBS should have scales available, and via the power of Google fu you can normally find out from somewhere anyway.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but why do you need to know? how does it help you buy a bike?

listing frame weights no that might b n idea. but bike weights. last thing i am interested in.

but f i was i would ask the shop if i could weigh it or if they could weight it for me.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    mmm joined facebook 12/12/2011 and only 12 people like it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • rockmonkeysc
    nicklouse wrote:
    mmm joined facebook 12/12/2011 and only 12 people like it.

How can the bike industry ignore that?
  • No weight standard, bad excuse.
    Give that man who takes the pictures for the websites a scale.
    Do not round figures down because that will bite you when peoples scales shows higher.

I ride a 12,4 Kg 2012 Giant Anthem X29 1 thats including my choise of pedales.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You signed up to tell us this. Thank you.
  • nicklouse

exactly

head nail on hit.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have about six bikes (it fluctuates) and I don't even know how much I weigh, let alone any of the bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    Have you considered that weight just isnt that critical on mountain bikes?
  • cooldad
    Thousands of weight weenies would disagree with you. And spend stupid money to prove it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    No weight standard, bad excuse.

That's the spirit! You're right and everyone who disagrees must be wrong!
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Some do some don't. Any half decent LBS should have scales available,

I took my own with me when shopping around - small digital luggage scale, fits in a jacket pocket and has a webbing strap with plastic clip that can go round the top tube. I'm no obsessive weight weenie, but just wanted to see how the prospective purchases compared for heft.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Excuse me Mr Photographer is that the small, medium, large, extra large, aluminium, carbon, low spec, medium spec, top spec, special spec, with or without X pedals, tube, tubeless, spec tyres or have the testers put their own on.

Well mate it's a large top spec carbon with X clip-ons and non spec rubber.

No use to me Mr. Photographer because I need to know the weight of a small aluminium low spec with the plastic tyres and a set of flats.

Just a few combinations of why every bike does not come with its weight.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not a lot of support here for your campaign to get weights published is there?
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    All the weights published on the Canyon website are for a size medium frame (as are the mountain bike photos) and vary with spec. They are pretty accurate from what I've seen

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... ab-reiter2

Cannondale, on the other hand, don't even publish the weights of their road bikes on their site.

The difference may be explained by the fact that the truth is an absolute in Germany and seen as more elastic in America.

Large corporation are also wary of the litigious climate in the US. 10 oz. over the published weight and mr Redneck will be suing for millions when he has a heart attack cycling to his local taco joint. :shock:
  • rockmonkeysc

The difference may be explained by the fact that the truth is an absolute in Germany and seen as more elastic in America.

I have worked for a couple German engineering companies and this statement is absolute horse sh1t. The stereotype of German build quality is also a load of rubbish.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    They do like sausages though.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The stereotype of German build quality is also a load of rubbish.

German cars used to be really good amongst the best. Now either everyone else has caught up or the standards have slipped, a mate had an Audi company car that seemed to spend at least 1 week in 3 in the workshop. He has just got a brand spanking new Audi picked me up last thursday night to go the pub and the rearview mirror fell off as we were driving down the road and yesterday the engine management light came on he hasnt even done 100 miles yet :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Mercedes always do really bad in the JD Power surveys too - their reputation for bomp proof reliability used to be true, but not any more. BMW motorcycles have more than their fair share of build quality and unreliability issues too (as anyone who's ever shat themselves at the price of an out of warranty ABS unit or K1300 final drive failure will testify...).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Quoted weights are useful for comparing bikes from the same manufacturer, but until there is an international standard, asking fior weights is pointless, after all what do you exclude?
    Pedals - most people will fit their own
    Tyres - Most people change them to what is most suitable local to them
    Grips - I fancy those Peaty sig lockons.....
    Saddle - gotta fit my regular Spoon
    etc etc
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No weight standard, bad excuse.
    Give that man who takes the pictures for the websites a scale.
    Do not round figures down because that will bite you when peoples scales shows higher.

So should all bikes be weighed including your pedals? Some DMR V8s? Some Egg Beater 11s? Should it be proportional to the value of the bike?

Size?
    Painted?
    Rotor size?
    How many headset spacers?
    Cut seatpost?
    Fluid in the brakes?

Etc etc.

There are far too many variables for it ever to be standard, it won't happen. If you're that bothered, get your LBS to weigh the appropriate bikes, or take scales and weigh them yourself, had folk do that a few times.
  • rockmonkeysc
    On the Intense M9 the raw version is half a pound lighter than the painted one. Should they publish weights for different finishes as well as different sizes and different specs.
    If a part becomes unavailable part way through the year should new weights then be published and printed on the bikes so there is no confusion as to which version you are buying?
  • I agree with the OP.

It doesn't matter so much if the weight published is spot on to the gram or not, but even a ballpark figure would be nice to have. Yes components vary, but for god sake Mr bike manufacturer you are shipping out a complete bike just tell me roughly how much it weighs. Is it 12kg, 14kg, 16kg? This kind of range does matter. If its 12kg or 12.2kg, then it doesn't matter to most people.

In the spec sheet for every single new car built its possible to find out the horsepower and the weight. Why not for a bike? Would most of you buy a car without knowing its power output / power to weight ratio? Its a big factor in performance, as is the weight of a bike.

If I was buying a new bike I'd want to know (roughly) how much it weighs, not to be a weight weenie, but simply to assure myself that the weight is reasonable for the type of riding I want to do. I don't think this is unreasonable. With online buying becoming increasingly common, this information needs to be available. I can almost guarantee I won't be buying my next bike from a LBS.
  • nicklouse
    I agree with the OP.

It doesn't matter so much if the weight published is spot on to the gram or not, but even a ballpark figure would be nice to have. Yes components vary, but for god sake Mr bike manufacturer you are shipping out a complete bike just tell me roughly how much it weighs. Is it 12kg, 14kg, 16kg? This kind of range does matter. If its 12kg or 12.2kg, then it doesn't matter to most people.
    but then you will get some yank sueing the bike people as the weight was not correct due to all the suppliers hitting the max tolerances for the parts fitted.

again if weight is so important take scales with you.
  • cooldad
    edited August 2013
    Easy, pick it up, if you put your back out it's too heavy, take up knitting instead.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    The comparison with car power output figures is quite a good one. Some are measured at the wheel. Some are measured at the crankshaft. Some are measured at the gearbox. Some are just calculated. Some use corrected figures. Some use special, extra clean fuel. Some use retail quality fuel.
    Kind of makes the figures meaningless doesn't it?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

So you're happy with a 2kg tolerance? At any given price point that will likely cover the lightest to the heaviest, so why bother at all? What if Scott printed 13kg (accurately), and Giant printed 12kg (within tolerance), but actually the Giant was 14kg?
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    I agree with the OP as well, it just seems stupid to me.

I'm not bothered about the head angle, top tube length or BB clearance, I find these measuments useless until you actualy sit on a bike, but it doesnt stop the manufacurers listing these and many more for every different frame size, why go to all this trouble and then leave out the weight ?