Pi Squared Bikes

TPH110
TPH110 Posts: 2
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
I'm just about to start a new job which will involve a 1.5 mile commute for the next 6 months or so. Unfortunately its in an area rife with bike thefts (~30 per month on average according to police.uk).

I have a D lock but I still dont feel comfortable taking my 2004 rockhopper. I'm looking for something thats cheap, reliable and fun to ride. I came accross this from Pi squared bikes:

http://www.pisquaredbikes.com/single.html.

They're seeling for around £120 unassembled on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pi-Squared-Fi ... 3cd41efb7a).

Does this seem like a good deal? Has anyone had any experiences with Pi squared bikes?

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    1.5 miles? Walk? You could feasibly chop a bit off the distance with cut-throughs etc. I know it's not the site for it but it makes sense to me.

I wouldn't buy anything that I don't want to ride, so if you're intent on riding how about a beater/hack bike from gumtree/freecycle/ebay?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd probably ride - 30 minute walk, 5 minute ride, 25 mins in bed ;-).

The bike looks fine, but I'd agree on a hack bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, for 1.5miles anything (literaly) will do, my son used to commute the 2.7 miles into town (bike then left there all day) on a Townsend that cost me £5.50 on ebay, sure it was a bit clunky and needed frequant (by decent bike standards) fettling, but it was still ours 12 months later!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • folsom1
    folsom1 Posts: 24
    Spending that much seems overkill for a train station bike for only 1.5 miles. Do as the person above me mentioned and buy an old steel MTB from ebay/Gumtree for £10, and spend another £10 on some slicks if you really need to.

I've got an old Universal MTB I use for a 1.2 mile journey from station to work, and over the past year all it's needed is a couple of punctures fixed. Cost: £7 from Gumtree.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, forget to mention the above was running some Spesh Nimbus 26x1.5" tyres picked up for about £7 off ebay, made it reasonable fast and nippy.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.