Looking at getting a Garmin Edge 800

gmccarthy
gmccarthy Posts: 4
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I've been a road biker for many years and have started doing more mtb'ing now. I've got a trusty old Polar S725 which has served me well but I think its time to upgrade.

I've been reading a ton of reviews and it looks like the Garmin 800 is the one to get (I'm not interested in bluetooth and the 810 is a little too expensive) A few places are having some good specials on the 800's.

Before I buy this is there any other good gps in the same price range that I should be looking at. I want the maps feature as I'm new to the UK and hardly know my way around the streets, let along mtb trails. I also need HRM, cadence, speed at a minimum.

2 questions I have - can the 800 be used on road bikes just as well as on mtb's. Its not too big is it?
Is it waterproof/weather proof - expecially with all the rain we get in the UK?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Can't help I'm afraid, but links to the specials would be good as I quite fancy one.
  • Wiggle and Amazon are selling it for about the same price. 23% off.
  • Hi i have a garmin edge 800 and I had it over 2 years now yes you can use it for both off road a on I mainly just use the info screen that tells me everything when I brought it I paid just under £400 with everything so hope you can get a good deal and it is ok in the rain as well
  • Thanks. Think I'm going to order it :)
  • beefcake2
    beefcake2 Posts: 157
    I've had mine for a few years. You need to get the right maps on it to use off road. They are ok in the wet but you have to make sure that the rubber covers are correctly in place when you have finished charging etc. if they aren't in place water can get in an damage it. I find mine incredibly useful.