Drop off dilemma

2»

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    That might work for you but unfortunately it can also be a recipe to pendulum yourself over the bars if you keep your weight too far back.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    Now I'm confused. I usually do pretty much the same as stump.jumper, and sometimes make it into a bit of a jump by a quick punch down on the front forks before launch... but I keep my weight back - I thought the whole point of keeping your weight back was to PREVENT you going over the bars - how does keeping your weight back mean you are more likely to go over the bars?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Because if you're already low over the back, and the back of the bike gets kicked up, you have nothing left to absorb it, and so, over you go.
    Once the bike's rotating, it's rotating, a bit of leaning back before hand won't stop that initial rotation.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    If you lean back on a sloping landing the rear will hit first and then cause the front to bang down quite hard = possible flying lesson. :mrgreen:

On a sloping landing just stay neutral and literally drop off the er, drop off.

On a flat landing try to just lightly loft the front so when your rear wheel goes over the edge your wheels are still level. Weight fairly neutral, knees and arms bent slightly bent, land on two wheels, absorb impact. Bow to invisible gallery.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    That makes perfect sense, thanks Matt and Yeehaa!
  • Look before you leap ! Should follow my own advice after dropping front into a ditch . Trouble is now I am worried about tackling them . Will have to follow advice given above and find somwhere safe to hone skills.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    A way I found helps me with getting over the mental barrier, is to envisage how you will do it. Play it over and over in your mind, actually what you'll do, eventually you'll get bored of this and just do it! It's also safe to say if you can't envisage it all or only see it going bad then best walk away and do it another day. Have it on the 'to-do' list.

I find drops to steep banks more visually troubling - as it's harder to see the landing. i.e. the landing could look like it's over a 6ft drop but it's really only 2ft. But knowing it's just in your head can help and a 2ft drop is rollable. Following a friend who knows the approach speed can help as well.

I also find it helps to be padded up, if & when you do come off it'll hurt less but most of the time you'll be fine anyway!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I for one, wouldn't particularly want to try and roll a 2 foot drop.
    that would almost put the bottom of the rear wheel level with the top of the front, add in the impact of the front touching down, compressing the fork. And then the deceleration extending the rear, and throwing your weight forwards. And of course potentially grounding out the BB.

It may be rollable, but for that size, you're far better off dropping it.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    just don't misjudge the take off of a 5ft ladder drop like I did and land with your bollox on the stem....it fecking hurts!!!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Gosh, really? who'd have thunk it? :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    anj132 wrote:
    I find drops to steep banks more visually troubling i.e. the landing could look like it's over a 6ft drop but it's really only 2ft.

Aye, that's what gets me. I know the drop's within my capabilities, but I just see that looslely surfaced steep landing slope and my head says "Abort! Abort!".
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Usually in those cases the drop is 6 ft or so because that's the point where you will actually land. Like any other technical feature build up to it gradually, and don't take it on till you're happy and can see a good outcome.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • YeehaaMcgee
    welshkev wrote:
    just don't misjudge the take off of a 5ft ladder drop like I did and land with your bollox on the stem....it ******* hurts!!!
    Have you seen the video of Gee Atherton introducing little Gee to his headset?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    welshkev wrote:
    just don't misjudge the take off of a 5ft ladder drop like I did and land with your bollox on the stem....it ******* hurts!!!

Yeah I've seen that. I wondered what he was doing dropping his shorts :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    welshkev wrote:

Yes. Thankfully his helmet peak saved his modesty. :lol: