Bought some 4 year old 26" Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels

Jay76
Jay76 Posts: 58
edited August 2013 in MTB general
off ebay second hand. New bearings fitted apparently.

I have read some reviews where people say they need servicing alot and frequent bearing replacements.

Can anyone confirm this? I don't think I will hold on to them if they need alot of upkeep.
**2011 Cove Stiffee**

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you buy decent bearings and fit them (or they were fitted by previous owner) then there is not A LOT that can go wrong and need servicing in the future.
  • Did you not do your research before buying? Nice wheels but very pricey. Ive heard mavic spares can be hard to get hold of, but no personal experience. Are they fit for purpose for what you want them for?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The same quality bearings will last pretty much the same time (for the same use) regardless of wheel unless the bearing positioning is poor.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    I have these on my Scott HT changed the bearings once in 18 months use them for all XC and trail centres with no issues, spokes can be a bit pricey around £10 for one but you can get them from a Mavic dealer although you may have to wait while there ordered.

Personally I think there superb, really light and strong and look damn good so much so I've ordered another pair for my full suss.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Jay76
    Stu Coops wrote:
    I have these on my Scott HT changed the bearings once in 18 months use them for all XC and trail centres with no issues, spokes can be a bit pricey around £10 for one but you can get them from a Mavic dealer although you may have to wait while there ordered.

Personally I think there superb, really light and strong and look damn good so much so I've ordered another pair for my full suss.

Well that encouraging! I will be using mine for XC/trail centers so hope mine hold up too.
    I got mine for 260 delivered, thought it was a good deal considering how much they are new. Fitting them this week along with some Mountain king II (2.4) I got 2 spare spokes too.

Stu are you running yours tubeless?

thanks for all of the posts btw
    **2011 Cove Stiffee**
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Yep running Rocket Rons on them and by far the easiest wheels I've set up tubeless.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Jay76
    Got mine fitted last... wow, what a change from XT hubs and sunringle rims!
    So happy with them. Hills are easier to climb and my bike goes down hill like the wind!
    **2011 Cove Stiffee**
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    had Mavic 313's for about 7 years over 2 bikes, front hub only needed changing once so far...
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I have the crossride s on my bike and after a years abuse proper mtb ing and at various trail centres in all weathers they are still fine no probs. Spares arent a problem just look on ebay and the sealed bearings are relatively easy to change yourself with the right tools.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011