Newbie cyclist seeking more knowledge

vincitomniaveritas
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I have just purchased my first bike (since I was about 11) for commuting and going on trips. The bike I bought is a Claud Butler Ventoux, and I got it as part of the C2W scheme.

Whilst buying, I took it out on a test ride, and I couldn't bring myself away from it after I'd done! I am really excited about joining another transport community (also a motorcyclist) and I look forward to posting and seeking advice from you all.

Comments

• Congratulations on the purchase. First bit of knowledge - compare before buying! your new bike will be a great way to get out and about, but sadly you could have picked up a much better one for your money.
  • Congratulations on the purchase. First bit of knowledge - compare before buying! your new bike will be a great way to get out and about, but sadly you could have picked up a much better one for your money.

What a pleasant greeting.

Besides, you're talking gash.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Congratulations on the purchase. First bit of knowledge - compare before buying! your new bike will be a great way to get out and about, but sadly you could have picked up a much better one for your money.

The OP didn't say he hadn't already looked at other bikes...? If he took it for a ride and fell in love with it, I say he's made a good choice. I looked around before I bought, but have still seen bikes since that were arguably better specced for the price I paid, but I don't care, I love my bike and love riding it, and that's all that matters to me. My boss' bike cost more than three times mine did and that'll tell you its a considerably higher spec - but I wouldn't swap him (well, unless I swapped, sold his and bought something else making a profit in the process... :wink: )
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Welcome to the forum.
    You obviously love your bike, enjoy it.
  • All comments welcome...

I probably could have gotten a better bike elsewhere (can people show me examples though) but the thing is, I really wanted to get on with the C2W process, as I'm aware it takes a couple of weeks and I just wanted to get out riding asap...

The shops closest to me didn't have lots of the right sized bikes I liked, so I just thought I'd choose from what was available. I am happy with my choice. If worst comes to worst I change it after 12 months.
  • The best bike that you can buy is the one that you WANT to ride. For some people, that's the lightest bike that they can get for their money. For others, it's the one with the best bits. Some people want a particular brand name. for some, it's the frame material. Someone else will be happy with any bike so long as it's a pink one. The OP is clearly happy with the bike that they bought, so that was clearly the best bike to buy.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Pauld100
    Pauld100 Posts: 31
    As above the best bike is the one that fits you - no point getting a 'bargain' with Di2 Ultegra etc. if it doesn't fit, and you end up uncomfortable on it.
  • The best bike that you can buy is the one that you WANT to ride. For some people, that's the lightest bike that they can get for their money. For others, it's the one with the best bits. Some people want a particular brand name. for some, it's the frame material. Someone else will be happy with any bike so long as it's a pink one. The OP is clearly happy with the bike that they bought, so that was clearly the best bike to buy.

Spot on. Possibly the main reason I bought my bike is because I like the way it looks, and when I look at it, I want to ride it (well, at least when I'm not feeling lazy :D )
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    Reformedfatty, rather than post a negative as you have, maybe it would be better to keep quiet altogether rather than give the OP a knock back. The guy is obviously happy with his bike and enjoying the sport, he doesn't need deflating by you.
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    Great stuff! I bought my first bike at 38 years old about 18 months ago and have not looked back...love it! Since then I clock up about 80 miles per week, have done several 100 milers in a day, cycled from Derbys to the Lake District over 2 days and just come back from France having done some of the famous Col climbs and descents. Enjoy!
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Hi all,

I have just purchased my first bike (since I was about 11) for commuting and going on trips. The bike I bought is a Claud Butler Ventoux, and I got it as part of the C2W scheme.

Whilst buying, I took it out on a test ride, and I couldn't bring myself away from it after I'd done! I am really excited about joining another transport community (also a motorcyclist) and I look forward to posting and seeking advice from you all.

Congratulations, great decision to get into cycling and as you'll quickly learn from this forum the vast majority of people are really supportive and helpful and will offer great advice....but, there are also quite a few trolls who will say black is white, just to get a reaction. I reckon it's because they don't get out on their bikes enough and have lots of pent up frustration!

Be warned that whatever you've spent on C2W will quickly be eclipsed by all the gear and upgrades you must have!
  • paulorg
    paulorg Posts: 168
    Welcome to the forum, If the CB Ventoux is anything like as good as the CB Levante, which was my first 'proper' bike then you're onto a winner, learn some basic maintenance techniques and if your not sure, just ask, when that doesn't tell you what you want to know, look for a video on youtube or equivalent. Join in and don't forget to tell everyone about the shiny new things you buy in the near future, and if you find a way of justifying it to the other half, definitely let us know how you did that :wink:
    If you buy it, they will come...

...up to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them!!!
  • Thanks for the support guys. This is why I love forums.

Quick question:

1. What clothing do I need to buy to ensure I'm comfortable from the outset? Not too fussed about cost, but VALUE for money is important.
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Thanks for the support guys. This is why I love forums.

Quick question:

1. What clothing do I need to buy to ensure I'm comfortable from the outset? Not too fussed about cost, but VALUE for money is important.

a decent pair of bib shorts I think is a must (not shorts though), match that with a nice fitting cycling top and you are sorted.

don't have to spend a fortune but I would avoid the chinese Ebay sets ( I bought a set they just fell apart and fitted badly)

When you feel the need try getting some road shoes and clipless pedals.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • Almost the same story as mine, except mine us a Claud Butler Roubaix. And like you I fell in love with it's looks. I bought it 5 weeks ago and am very happy with it.
    Ignore the ne'er do well's who inhabit the forum I do not understand why some folks feel the need to belittle newbies but that is forum's for you!
    Agree with the clipless pedals snd bib shorts are an absolute must.
    Other than that ebay has a great source if stuff that you can get started with.

Good luck!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Thanks for the support guys. This is why I love forums.

Quick question:

As far as "value" goes, I would recommend Endura kit - certainly for bib shorts. Mid -range price, good quality and long lasting IME.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • What do you guys advise re carrying stuff like books/laptops etc on road bikes?
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Baby Trek wrote:
    Great stuff! I bought my first bike at 38 years old about 18 months ago and have not looked back...love it! Since then I clock up about 80 miles per week, have done several 100 milers in a day, cycled from Derbys to the Lake District over 2 days and just come back from France having done some of the famous Col climbs and descents. Enjoy!

Christ, you're doing well. Did you carry your own gear for the lake district trip? I've got holiday coming up and fancy an extended trip, but worry about excess weight on my Spec Secteur which has a rack.
  • So I picked up my bike today and rode home from the bike shop.

I have a major problem with the pedals. I tightened up the right foot strap, since I always put my left leg down first. However, when I get started again it's always a faff getting my left foot back in the left foot strap! Surely there must be a better way without buying some new strapless pedals.

Any ideas?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's a bit of a faff, which is one of the reasons the cycling community grasped clipless pedals so universally when they were invented.

If you get moving with one foot in, then pause your pedalling in the same spot to get your foot into the toeclip then you can get into a routine.

Ref. clothes, I often get my el cheapo jerseys here. I get Nalini shorts from Planet X; they're pretty comfy, but are a bit pricey for budget shorts.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    When you can afford it go clipless, you will never look back.
  • So I picked up my bike today and rode home from the bike shop.

I have a major problem with the pedals. I tightened up the right foot strap, since I always put my left leg down first. However, when I get started again it's always a faff getting my left foot back in the left foot strap! Surely there must be a better way without buying some new strapless pedals.

Any ideas?

Because strapped pedals are crap. Get a decent pair of SPD/SPD-SL and you won't look back.
  • Did my first *proper* bike ride today, and I have to say that I will be investing in a pair of clipless pedals immediately.