Made the jump..

PaulieB85
PaulieB85 Posts: 16
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
So finally got round to buying a road bike (just waiting on delivery due to factory delays) and got myself a giant defy 1 (2014). Should pick this up on Monday after work now and im really looking forward to it (now live in the city and less muddy tracks to play on) being in Edinburgh there's a nice cycle path network also till I get used to the roads again.

Just bought some 105 pedals as they were a bargain and came with cleats for £35 new so can get the most out of it

Few questions though as I really known zero about road bikes ;

What Is the worst surface I can go across (will I get away with going over gravel?)
Is there anything special I need to know before I go cane myself on an adventure?
Are the standard tyres fine for all weather conditions?
Will I need anything other than a new pump and inners?

I'm sure I had more questions :(
MTB - Kona kikapu deluxe XTR - 2008
Road - Giant Defy 1 - 2014

Comments

• Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    First off, try not to go on gravel, high chance of punctures.
    Tyres should be ok for starters, wear them out then maybe upgrade.
    Pump, inner tubes and tyre levers should get you going.

Assume you have bib shorts, top etc
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    East Lothian is great biking country. Plenty of flat, plenty of lumpy stuff and the A1 to take all the traffic away!
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • Mickyg88 wrote:

Ah doh! Some nice cycle trails but parts go a bit gravely then go back to tarmac.

Alas i was going to go for the baggy cycling shorts option (mainly as i have them for mountain biking)

Was going to get a cycling jersey in the next week or two. I do have normal cycle shorts but not a big short.
  • doug5_10 wrote:
    East Lothian is great biking country. Plenty of flat, plenty of lumpy stuff and the A1 to take all the traffic away!

I'm in Edinburgh City center. But was tempted to do the lanark road out towards Carluke /Biggar as it looks fun :)
  • Chamac
    Chamac Posts: 10
    Take care on the A702 its the main ratrun from Edinburgh to the M74.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    PaulieB85 wrote:
    Mickyg88 wrote:

Ah doh! Some nice cycle trails but parts go a bit gravely then go back to tarmac.

Alas i was going to go for the baggy cycling shorts option (mainly as i have them for mountain biking)

Was going to get a cycling jersey in the next week or two. I do have normal cycle shorts but not a big short.

Base essentials would be bidons + cages, helmet, bib shorts (invest wisely, the best purchase you can make) and basic tool kit/spares. Then a jersey and shoes/clipless pedals which you are already thinking about.
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    If you've got tyres with a decent level of puncture protection, I wouldn't worry too much about gravel. Just be careful it's not too deep though, as that can cause havoc with your front wheel!
  • empted to do the lanark road out towards Carluke /Biggar as it looks fun

It *is* fun - it's a great road. You climb until Tarbrax and then roll on to Carluke. It may be worth turning and coming back the same way rather than go onto the A702...
    Baggies will be OK for a little while - bottles/tools will take precedence in the short term, but bibs are better - the big thing is the riding position is lower on a road bike, so no waist band improves comfort.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'm in Edinburgh City center. But was tempted to do the lanark road out towards Carluke /Biggar as it looks fun

I live in Aviemore but I've driven that road and been wanting to cycle it for years! Drove from Carluke to Edinburgh on the A70 and was so wishing I was on my bike.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    Bibs bibs bibs bibs bibs bibs bibs. Get some. You won't regret it. Some Dhb pro aeron for £52 from Wiggle will be the best bang for your buck and you will wonder how you made do without them.
  • Awesome cheers guys. Il look into getting some bibs come payday. Wife is already trying to kill me over my bank balance for what I've described as a cheap hobby :))
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Those aeron pros are £67.49 now