Advice needed about going clipless

suzygarbo
suzygarbo Posts: 52
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
I've had my road bike for two and a half weeks and have been using toe clips and getting used to them, starting stopping and putting my feet in without looking etc.

I've now invested in some pedals and road shoes and am nervous about making the step across, I would like any advice anyone has to offer!

I bought shims no spd-sl pedals and shims no shoes.

I've heard about tightening the cleat means its harder to unclip how will I know if its too loose or tight them I'm installing them? If I'm honest I'm not even sure how to install them but I guess I could watch someone on YouTube.

Also I'm scared of falling off but I fell off once with toe clips so that says a lot lol

Comments

• Do it and don't look back. Once you've ridden a few hundred metres and clipped in and out a few times it will feel natural. It's much easier to start clipless than transition though.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    suzygarbo wrote:
    I've heard about tightening the cleat means its harder to unclip how will I know if its too loose or tight them I'm installing them? If I'm honest I'm not even sure how to install them but I guess I could watch someone on YouTube.

It's not tightening or loosening the cleats that makes it harder or easier to unclip, it's adjusting the tension on the pedals. To start with, just adjust them to their loosest setting.
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    It's no big deal, you have probably read all the traumas associated wit going clip less, there are none, just get Spd or Spd sl. Whichever takes your fancy, it takes around half an hour riding to get used to them, end of.
  • to get use to them ride round the block wearing only one shoe, so if you can't unclip you can always put the other foot down.

On the shimano pedals theres a +/- tension screw, see

peshr540sl-p1.jpg

Set it to th eloosest till you feel comfortable.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    suzygarbo wrote:
    I've had my road bike for two and a half weeks and have been using toe clips and getting used to them, starting stopping and putting my feet in without looking etc.

I've now invested in some pedals and road shoes and am nervous about making the step across, I would like any advice anyone has to offer!

I bought shims no spd-sl pedals and shims no shoes.

Also I'm scared of falling off but I fell off once with toe clips so that says a lot lol

I think you mean Shimano, without meaning to patronize, I was wondering what the hell shims no meant!
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    I suspect autocorrect turning Shimano to shims no.

The tightening of cleat screws making clipping,unclipping is a reference to speedplay pedals where overtightening can make them difficult to clip/unclip. Not really one for you to worry about.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • SpainSte
    SpainSte Posts: 181
    to get use to them ride round the block wearing only one shoe, so if you can't unclip you can always put the other foot down.

On the shimano pedals theres a +/- tension screw, see

peshr540sl-p1.jpg

Set it to th eloosest till you feel comfortable.

Great advice and even a pic! You cant go wrong!

+1 to this
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Having had a brief foray into the world of toe clips myself, before switching to clipless (although I haven't got "shims no" :wink: pedals) I think if you can use toe clips, you'll find clipless pedals absolutely no problem at all.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Be consistent, decide which side you will clip in first when moving off (most people seem to favour the right side) and which side you always unclip first when coming to a halt (again most favour unclipping the left side first) Stick to this until it becomes a habit and you know longer have to think about it.
    Always try to plan ahead for road junctions and until your confidence improves always unclip in advance and be prepared to stop and put your foot down. Most 'clipless incidents' occur when you think you will be ok and won't need to stop, then a car comes shooting around the corner, you have to stop, down you go!
    It's all about practice, practice, practice.
  • And keep an eye out for knee pain over any given distance. Not all pedals are made equal and some suit different people. Ive had Shimano pedals and they are good but didnt agree with my knees, i then switched over to Speedplay Zeros and all knee pain has gone, i love them.
  • Thank you everyone for the great advice, I have put the pedals on and had a tootle about trying to clip and unclip repeatedly. I almost fell off once but managed to keep the bike going when I couldn't unclip in time.

The only problem I have is setting off, I've clipped in my right foot but my left foot slipped off the pedal. I'm sure it will just take time, I've definitely got the cycling bug!
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Bring your bike indoors, lean against a wall while watching tv and clip in and out a couple of hundered times. After that you'll probably be able to do it with your eyes shut.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    suzygarbo wrote:
    The only problem I have is setting off, I've clipped in my right foot but my left foot slipped off the pedal. I'm sure it will just take time, I've definitely got the cycling bug!

Don't clip in with your right first just because "that's what most people do". If you're having trouble doing it this way, try clipping in your left first and see if that's easier for you. I am right handed and right footed, but i've always pushed off with my left foot on a bike, both on flat platforms and now with clipless pedals. It just feels natural for me that way and totally alien if I do it the other way around.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    edited August 2013
    suzygarbo wrote:
    Thank you everyone for the great advice, I have put the pedals on and had a tootle about trying to clip and unclip repeatedly. I almost fell off once but managed to keep the bike going when I couldn't unclip in time.

It's always trickier clipping in as the pedal is rotating, it does get easier. Most pedals are weighted with a bias towards the rear and this helps when clipping in on the move. Best thing is not to panic if it doesn't go in straight away, just keep pedalling with the other foot until it goes in.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    There is a knack to it with SPD-SL's and alike. As above you will find a dominant foot that you like to push off with and the other that you unclip/clip when stopping/starting. It will come naturally, for me I always unclip left and lean left when stopping.
    For pushing off, start in an appropriate gear (remember to change down when coming to junctions etc.) and with (for me) right foot at 1 o'clock. Get a bit of momentum from pushing that first rev and then clip your other foot, hill starts can require a couple of foot bumps or one-legged pedal revs to get going. The technique is using your toe to flick the front of the pedal down (as stated above they hang vertically because the rear of the pedal is heavier) as your ankle rotates down with the front of the cleat catching its engagement point. Doing this from about 1 o'clock and you'll have a 'clunk' by 6 o'clock. It'll become natural with feeling the pedal through your shoe without having to look down
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • paulorg
    paulorg Posts: 168
    Suzy, follow Cleat and Philwints advice, keep the tension loose until you find what you like, find a wall lean your shoulder against it and then practice clipping in and unclipping, and don't be surprised if you fall off once or twice, I have and many others have as well (Some haven't and they will tell you all about it whether you ask them to or not and there's a word for them but I digress). Practice it in the kitchen and then ride somewhere soft and practice some more. You'll be amazed at the difference in performance and just how it makes you feel more part of it too. I would probably recommend the yellow cleats first as they give you more space to move your feet as you get used to them (float) and they're more forgiving on the knees and other bits while you get used to it.
    If you buy it, they will come...

...up to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them!!!
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Being fairly new to clipless myself finding your footing comes really quick, I unclip on the left so push from the right then fumble to clip in at times. touch wood not fallen over yet..

Nice thing is once you get the hang of it you will be using the up stroke as well as the down which significantly increases your throughput of energy into forward momentum.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    I did the lean the bike up against a wall and clip and unclip loads before venturing outside. I then took myself off on a flat section of road and just kept practicing until I felt ok. I got it really quickly and I was pretty scared about it!
    Just keep your wits about you and always unclip in advance of having to stop. Good luck, I have not looked back, best thing I did!
  • foggybike
    foggybike Posts: 160
    Again quite new to me as well.

I have fallen off :-) I have been told everybody either has or will. Luckily was able to fall over onto a grass verge and then flipped over like a beetle still clipped in. Only one person saw this a was laughing his head off.

I think the main thing to think about is not forgetting to are clipped in :-) After that preparation is key, preparing for junctions, cars pulling out, etc.
  • dmr180
    dmr180 Posts: 42
    philwint wrote:
    Bring your bike indoors, lean against a wall while watching tv and clip in and out a couple of hundered times. After that you'll probably be able to do it with your eyes shut.

Exactly what i did when started out. Placed my bike in the middle of my french doors and just got used to clipping in and out. The hardest thing about riding clipless is taking the plunge in the first place, but believe me you will never look back. The amount of increased power gained and improvement to pedal technique outweigh any fears of a tumble.
  • dmr180
    dmr180 Posts: 42
    foggybike wrote:

I have fallen off :-) I have been told everybody either has or will. Luckily was able to fall over onto a grass verge and then flipped over like a beetle still clipped in. Only one person saw this a was laughing his head off.

I have managed to fall off whilst stopping to help somebody else that had fallen off. Whilst riding along i spotted a chap fall to the side onto the verge whilst seemingly trying to get used to clipless. I pulled up alongside and asked 'are you ok pal?' only to forget i too was clipped in :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cue, embarrassment all round lol.
  • My 1st set of clipless pedals and cleats came today, must admit I was very surprised at the difference in power, no dodgy moments yet and looking forward to some proper rides