help,need padded shorts

just pedro
just pedro Posts: 12
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
now im no expert cyclist but i get a numb bum,it hurts after a mile or so,im asking what are the best padded shorts for the money?
anyone have an opinion? :D

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Endura in terms of bang for buck. Much comfier than my Castelli on rides over 50 miles.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    I'd recommend that you consider buying bib shorts rather than regular shorts. They're more comfortable and avoid problems with your jersey riding up at the back and exposing your lower back.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    As you're a 'newbie' I'd suggest the following:
    A numb bum after a mile or so, suggests that you need to fit a saddle on to your seatpost. :shock:
    Seriously, it takes a good few miles under your belt to toughen-up the sit bones & get used to riding again.

DHB from Wiggle and Endura get good reviews as do Santini from Prendas Cyclismo. Get bib-shorts, rather than just plain shorts.
    Cycling weakly
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    For someone new to cycling, it usually takes a while to become accustomed to a narrow bike seat. So soreness on the first several rides is not uncommon.

If comfort doesn't improve after about 6 (or so) rides, then perhaps changes to the seat position is needed. Usually the seat is horizontal from front to back, or tilted slightly up at the front.

It might also be that the seat just doesn't fit you! A seat that is too narrow for you will never be comfortable, regardless of padding in the shorts.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Also, if you are not wearing cycling shorts, make sure to avoid heavy folded seams that go from front to back.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • sorry i wasnt much use on my first post,this is my second bike and im used to a few rides,nothing more than 25 miles though as its too painfull,was contemplating on getting a granny saddle :mrgreen:
    i use dhb bib shorts at the moment but was wondering if the more expensive bib shorts where better.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    First, I've never had a problem with jerseys riding up at the back. I find bib shorts less comfortable than shorts.
    I used to swear by my inexpensive Decathlon red pad shorts, good comfortable value for money, until I spent out on a more expensive pair of Enduras. They have more substantial and sculpted padding and are marvellous. The Decathlons are fine up to 20 miles or so but I did longer 60 and 85 mile stretches with the Enduras and they were marvellous. Well worth the extra money.
  • I don't get a numb bum generally. I did when I was starting, a year ago, but no longer.

But gel shorts are good. I've never paid more than 20 quid for a pair - Tenn are good, from Amazon, in my opinion, though they're hardly a buttique :) brand. I like the single pair of bib shorts I have, but again around the 20 quid mark.

I've never cycled more than 50 miles so far, so maybe I've been lucky.
  • *buttcheek
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Santini Bib shorts. Best I have ever owned.