McQuaid - facing legal action

jonomc4
jonomc4 Posts: 891
edited August 2013 in Pro race
In a letter leaked to Telegraph Sport, the president of the Russian federation, Igor Makarov, warned UCI president McQuaid and general director Christophe Hubschmid that he was ready to mount a courtroom challenge to the “astonishing” decision to amend the governing body’s constitution concerning the nomination of candidates in middle of the current campaign.

Full article here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/10216872/International-Cycling-Union-president-Pat-McQuaid-faces-courtroom-challenge-to-astonishing-constitution-decision.html

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    mcquid isn't worried, he was also nominated by morroco and thailand.

i find it odd that this wasn't mentioned before, it's as if no-one else knew about it.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    The man is in my opinion on the take - why else would he be so desperate to hold onto his position?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    jonomc4 wrote:
    The man is in my opinion on the take - why else would he be so desperate to hold onto his position?

I'll be glad if and when he goes but I don't think you can simply make that assumption. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the take but it may simply be that he's just onto a really good legitimate thing that he didn't think would come to and end on anybodies, other than his own, timetable.

His comfortable life in Switzerland is about to be uprooted and that was never the plan. It must have taken a lot of effort to get there and once at the top of the gravy train of sports governing bodies that only ever seem democratic in name only he was in for the long haul. If he was a strong administrator, he could take it on the chin and try to work for the IOC or something but he probably realises he's damaged goods and the game is over.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    jonomc4 wrote:
    I'm pretty keen to keep my job, and I'm not on the take.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    jonomc4 wrote:

Are you pretty keen to stay in it into your late 60's though? :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    jonomc4 wrote:

Are you pretty keen to stay in it into your late 60's though? :wink:

All whizzy new inventions and creations cant patent and trademark themselves, you know. Rich's continuing toil is essential to The Progress of Man

:)
  • RichN95.
    All whizzy new inventions and creations cant patent and trademark themselves, you know. Rich's continuing toil is essential to The Progress of Man

:)
    Damn right. Today I once again pushed forward the boundaries of digital projectors (briefly before bunking off for office sports day).
    And I will certainly keep on with my noble mission if the civil service pensions are eroded and my parents turn out to be immortal.

As an aside McQuaid/Cookson/whoever, the UCI President probably isn't actually in the top ten most powerful people in men's pro cycling anyway.
  • No idea where to stick this, so I put it here, given the hilarious, conspiracy theory content.
    The rider by country allocations for the World's road race now available on the UCI website:

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... I&LangId=1

Guess which, somewhat obscure country gets 9 riders? :lol:

An "unbelievable" performance, Pat.
  • BigGar35
    BigGar35 Posts: 30
    When is this election taking place???? This seems to be dragging on for months and is making the sport look an embarrassment.
  • RichN95.
    No idea where to stick this, so I put it here, given the hilarious, conspiracy theory content.
    The rider by country allocations for the World's road race now available on the UCI website:

Is it Poland? I'm failing to see what the problem is.
  • mcquid isn't worried, he was also nominated by morroco and thailand.

i find it odd that this wasn't mentioned before, it's as if no-one else knew about it.
    What will be interesting and enlightening is the time-line of events regarding Pat's membership of these various federations.

Despite Pat claiming otherwise, we've recently learnt that McQuaid only became a member of the Swiss cycling federation after his Irish nomination was in doubt, so how long has he been a member of these other federations and was it only after the Swiss nomination was in doubt? It's unclear if the Thai and Moroccan nominations were before the 30th June deadline for nominations and whether they are based upon the Malaysian amendment being accepted.

As Pat has been revealed to be playing the field (i.e. becoming a member of the Swiss federation to secure a nomination), there should be a duty of candor on him to reveal the timeline of his membership of these federations, the minutes of meetings and conversations relating to his nominations and Malaysia's request to amend the rules after the nominations had closed.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    No idea where to stick this, so I put it here, given the hilarious, conspiracy theory content.

The "problem" has changed since I posted this.
    The release did read Morocco: 9 riders from 14 etc etc.
    Now, it's 6 from 9.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    BigGar35 wrote:
    When is this election taking place???? This seems to be dragging on for months and is making the sport look an embarrassment.

27 September in Florence.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Now, it's 6 from 9.
    Did the press release really change? Or did you read something on the Cyclingnews forum and take it as fact without checking yourself? I know you hang out there. Nothing wrong with that as long as your default position is that they are wrong
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Now, it's 6 from 9.
    Did the press release really change? Or did you read something on the Cyclingnews forum and take it as fact without checking yourself? I know you hang out there. Nothing wrong with that as long as your default position is that they are wrong
  • RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Now, it's 6 from 9.

No, I actually read it. From the link on Velorooms.
    Hence the link here.
    The original draft also had S Africa with no representative.
    Don't post, or take anything posted on CN as fact, these days.
    Like you say, opposite default position.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Pat McQuaid; he really is a sad little sh!t of a human being isn't he? Needs to go gently into the good night (not die just go) and retire. Verbruggen also needs to be chucked off the IOC.

Mind you from what I can see, these bodies are all fat cats too busy stuffing their own beds.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Both obviously need to go but only one of them should be placed behind bars.

You know who.
  • RichN95.
    symo wrote:
    Pat McQuaid; he really is a sad little sh!t of a human being isn't he? Needs to go gently into the good night (not die just go) and retire. Verbruggen also needs to be chucked off the IOC.
    Verbruggen hasn't been a member of the IOC since he stepped down in 2008. He's only an honorary member.
  • OK, now this is from the very unreliable source mentioned above, but the word is that the Swiss fed have withdrawn their nomination of McQuaid.
    Either a reliable source will soon emerge, or it's another pinch of salt, time.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited August 2013
    Velonation's now reporting it

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15285 ... stion.aspx

Has copy of the message sent to the 3 members of the tribunal by Swiss Cycling:

'“After having carefully considered the arguments of the claimants in the arbitration brought against Swiss Cycling’s Decision of 13 May 2013 to nominate Mr. Pat McQuaid for UCI Presidential election, a majority of the Board’s member decided, in light of the legal issues regarding the validity of said Decision and of the general interest of Swiss Cycling, to (i) revoke the Decision of 13 May 2013 and (ii) to withdraw Swiss Cycling’s nomination of Mr. Pat McQuaid for (re)election as UCI President,” it states.

True to form though.....Pat says its simply not true

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/08/ ... ion_299716

YOU COULDNT MAKE THIS UP
  • RichN95.
    Is there a reliable source yet? (rather than a glorified blog)
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Is there a reliable source yet? (rather than a glorified blog)

He he, fair point
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Velonation, glorified blog or not, is basically repeating what was in the Neue Zürcher Zeitung newspaper yesterday, except that the Swiss newspaper put a lot more emphasis on the nomination being withdrawn in case the the Swiss Cycling lost in the tribunal hearing on 22 August and was then faced with substantial additional costs.

The Zurich newspaper said that the likely costs of the hearing already exceeded Swiss Cycling’s budget for it, and that the federation didn’t want to be faced with even more costs if they lost.
    So it’s not exactly that Swiss Cycling has changed its mind about McQuaid rather it’s their purse strings which are influencing.

This link also mentions this aspect:
    http://thescore.thejournal.ie/swiss-federation-withdraws-mcquaid-nomination-1046384-Aug2013/
  • RichN95.
    So does this mean that Cookson will be come the 20th or so most powerful man in pro cycling without an actual election?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Depends whether the dodgy retrospective ruling on 2 nominations from any cycling federations gets through...

3 things really bug me about this.

1) Mcquaid lives in Switzerland because he is uci prez. He somehow therefore gets an "extra" nomination chance that others don't have...so the act of being prez gives him a technical advantage of being reelected. (And I mean technical, not just the "soft" advantages inherent in being the incumbent for any post.)

2) Do all these electioneering statements and comments come out from the UCI? They should come from him directly, under his own steam, and expense.

3) the sheer unprofessionalism, arrogance and personal nature of the above mentioned statements just add to the question of whether he is fit to lead...
  • Saw a copy of the Swiss draft and translation, over on the Asylum.
    Anyhow, it is now official.
    Bottom line: It was down to that all important...................bottom line:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15288 ... ation.aspx

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/swiss-c ... nomination
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:
    So does this mean that Cookson will be come the 20th or so most powerful man in pro cycling without an actual election?

Was he elected by British Cycling. If so, he's just as legitimate as David Camer..

Oh.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Interesting summary, particularly the bit about the Swiss element.

http://gerard.cc/2013/08/21/race-to-the-bottom/

Also note the last two paragraphs; men's pro road racing is where the money is and consequently where almost all the battle lines are drawn.
  • Interesting summary, particularly the bit about the Swiss element.

http://gerard.cc/2013/08/21/race-to-the-bottom/

Also note the last two paragraphs; men's pro road racing is where the money is and consequently where almost all the battle lines are drawn.

And of course no coincidence....where the credibility problem with the UCI - and cycling overall - lies.

People who are bleating on that all of this argy bargy over the validity of Pat's nomination is distracting from the 'vital' debate re what either candidate wants to do about womens cycling/paracycling/BMX/MTB, are living in la-la land