Short top tube frame suggestions

Adamgt
Adamgt Posts: 114
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all. I had posted this in the women's section but I thought I might get more of a response here instead. This is more a query about what frames with short top tubes are available on the market more than anything else...

I've decided to build a MTB for my wife before next spring. Why so long you say? Well we've just had our second child and realistically she won't have the time, or energy, to get out on a bike until then, which is also around about the time our new son will be big enough to go in the child seat and come with us too. Anyway, I promised her a new bike when the time comes so rather than waiting and then forking out a lump sum next year, I thought I would give myself a project and slowly build a bike up and spread the cost.

A few years back when we both used to go out on the trails, she had a Trek 4500 wsd. She loved it because the sizing was perfect for her so would like something that fits her well again. With that in mind I'm looking for a frame that is suitable. Women's specific frames are not high on the list, mainly because there isn't many but also because a standard frame will do as long as the measurements are suitable.

So, what frames can everyone recommend? She is 5ft 4" with average proportions. Her old Trek was a 16" but I've seen a massive difference in sizing/geometry depending on the frames. I looked at the on-one inbred, scandal etc, but they all state they have xc geometry with longer top tubes. I'm looking for frames with shorter top tubes really, any recommendations? Looking at around £200 but possibly slightly more if its the right one.

I did find this last night but it's a 29er (http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k304/a ... ml?mfid=41). I'm thinking the forks and wheel will be more plentiful and cheaper for a 26er though.

Ad
Cannondale Trail SL 1 29er
Planet X London Road

Comments