RL100 - Identification number. OTT helmet sticker

hatone
hatone Posts: 228
So I picked up my identification and ride number today.

To my surprise is a bloody large helmet sticker that says ' Stick to front of your helmet so you can be identified in official event photographs' It practically conceals 80% of my vents, doing my head cooling no favours. Interestingly this isn't mandatory so if you aren't interested in photos might be able to do without it or trim it down considerably...?

Comments

• Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Bit of an aero boost though surely!! :lol:
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    Surely they can identify photos from the number stuck on your handlebars?
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Yeah there was nothing about that in any of the other information, it was just handlebars, frame and body. I assume its a stipulation from Marathon Photos.

I'm registering tomorrow, but I assume its the same size of sticker that they used for the London Triathlon last weekend which I saw some friends take part in, which was also photographed by Marathon Photos. Its certainly pretty fugly with a big sticker plastered on your helmet.
  • hatone
    VO2min wrote:

Precisely that, so I'm lost as to why you'd want to stick a dinner plate on your helmet...? Anyway I'm not bothering even if it slows me down from an aero perspective... :mrgreen:
  • VO2min
    VO2min Posts: 28
    hatone wrote:
    VO2min wrote:

Precisely that, so I'm lost as to why you'd want to stick a dinner plate on your helmet...? Anyway I'm not bothering even if it slows me down from an aero perspective... :mrgreen:

Would a random sticker accross the vents even improve aero performance, would probably just create different turbulance and give you a hot head. The pro's seem to be moving on from the 'sealed vent' aero helmets to properly designed ones.
  • ermintrude
    ermintrude Posts: 514
    I know this might seem like a daft question but are there numbers that you have to stick on your jersey and is so what are they like. I ruined an Assos jersey a few years ago whe sticky residue wouldn't come off.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    The jersey number is a standard race style, safety pins supplied. The silly helmet sticker has gone in the bin. There's a handlebar number for identification in photos.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    The handlebar number also contains the transponder for the official timing too, doesn't it?
  • JDinho
    JDinho Posts: 16
    Nowhere on the pack does it say the helmet sticker is mandatory; Body number, handlebar number, frame number all have that stipulation.

I won't be sticking the helmet number on, but will have it with me in case there is an officious marshal in my way.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Another daft question - does the body number go on front or back?
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    not openned my pack yet, how big is the body number ? On a really hot day I like to unzip the jersey sometimes all the way but if i've got safety pins over both sides you can't do that
  • Padeye
    Padeye Posts: 38
    To the OP, how big is the kit bag they give you for transferring your stuff from start to finish? Would it fit a normal size rucksack in it?
  • I don't need the kit bag as I will have everything I need in my jersey pockets so I'm not worried about that. OTT helmet sticker is not going on unless its forced! I think with all the other stickers it should be pretty clear what rider number I am!!! :roll:
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Jersey number goes at the bottom centre of the back of your jersey.

Of course, I suppose you could pin it anywhere.
  • pashda
    pashda Posts: 99
    JDinho wrote:
    Nowhere on the pack does it say the helmet sticker is mandatory; Body number, handlebar number, frame number all have that stipulation.

I won't be sticking the helmet number on, but will have it with me in case there is an officious marshal in my way.

+1. This looks like the best plan. I hate having the sticky residue left on the helmet when you try to get the sticker off after a race.
  • I'll be using my tri belt for the body no. I don't want to put holes in my jersey (yet to decide which one to wear, I've bought the official one, got a Wiggle one (Wiggle gave me my place so feel a little obliged) & a TdF yellow jersey from last year (setting myself up to fail)
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    narbs wrote:
    Jersey number goes at the bottom centre of the back of your jersey.

Of course, I suppose you could pin it anywhere.

This is what I plan to do, though Im sure we'll see people do all sorts.

Im #20565, I wonder if #13 will turn theirs upsidedown? :P
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    wish they would stop making us put pin holes through our expensive new jerseys !
  • sherer wrote:
    wish they would stop making us put pin holes through our expensive new jerseys !

Sherer, you need one of these

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/orc ... t-ec034246

I got one for triathlons (to save having to move no. from back (on bike) to front (for run), but will be using it on Sunday
  • rich_e
    When registering a short while ago, I specifically asked the staff member whether the Helmet Sticker was really mandatory, pointing out that it doesn't say so in the magazine or on the back of the rider card and that I'd heard it was just for the photos. She thought about what to say and then said that it was mandatory incase you became separated from the bike such as in an accident. I then pointed out that I had a big number on my back, which she then just said that sorry, it is mandatory and its only small so shouldn't do much to your helmet.

So that's somewhat different to what else has been said. I would imagine the majority of people will probably wear it, but maybe the carrying it with you idea is a good plan.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    The jersey numbers go on the back. Page 3 of the Final instructions booklet(bottom left of the page) confirm this. Always helps to read the instructions :)
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Padeye wrote:
    To the OP, how big is the kit bag they give you for transferring your stuff from start to finish? Would it fit a normal size rucksack in it?
    Depends on what you class as normal I guess. I have a 20L rucksack that I 'm using and that fits in no problem. As far as cycling with the bag is concerned it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
  • hatone
    Rich_E wrote:
    When registering a short while ago, I specifically asked the staff member whether the Helmet Sticker was really mandatory, pointing out that it doesn't say so in the magazine or on the back of the rider card and that I'd heard it was just for the photos. She thought about what to say and then said that it was mandatory incase you became separated from the bike such as in an accident. I then pointed out that I had a big number on my back, which she then just said that sorry, it is mandatory and its only small so shouldn't do much to your helmet.

So that's somewhat different to what else has been said. I would imagine the majority of people will probably wear it, but maybe the carrying it with you idea is a good plan.

Thanks for asking. I'm not too surprised a staff member would insist you wear it as to avoid giving out wrong information - it's pretty clear it is not mandatory.

I've cut off the Prudential Logo on the helmet sticker leaving just the number so if I'm forced to wear it at least I'll have a bit of air-flow...
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    I've just trimmed my sticker down too just in case I have to wear it.
    I also trimmed the one to put on the bike down as it was huge!
  • Helpful posts - all of them! Agree with everyone about the helmet sticker!! Has anyone else checked the back of the handlebar number and compared the number shown there with their race number? My race number is different from the number shown on the timing chip. I am now worried that my time (however bad!) will be given to some other poor soul. Or is this a deliberate ploy?!
  • rich_e
    I can confirm that the number on the back of the timing chip doesn't match my rider number. I would think its probably nothing to worry about, if it is wrong, somebody messed up royally, but I doubt it.

While on the subject of stickers...
    Where is everyone attaching their frame number to on the bike?
    There are no guidelines on it, just wondering whether there is a typical spot people would use or that looks best?
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I am going to stick it to a bit of card/plastic and then cable tie that to my rear stays just above the brake.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    brettjmcc wrote:
    I am going to stick it to a bit of card/plastic and then cable tie that to my rear stays just above the brake.
    ^^Pro

wish I had thought of that :)
  • rich_e
    Does anyone also know why people have different coloured numbers?

I don't mean the colour groups, which reflects whether your number is black or blue, but the lettering of the numbers is a different colour. My numbers are plain white, but I've noticed on twitter that some people have yellow numbers on their handlebar and body numbers.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    The Relay teams maybe?
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon