Bikes on the Tube -Saturday

Hi

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on taking a bike on the tube this weekend? Going from Paddington to the Excel for registration and dont want to get screwed by public transport

Cheers

Rich

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Bikes aren't allowed on deep tube lines. Unless you disguise them as/ in a bag. Check on the TFL website which tube lines allow bikes.

Also does the tube open early enough for you?
  • Checked the standard map, can get there ok with the bike, just wondering if there are any restrictions on bikes at all? I have had to book a special reservation on the train to Paddington...
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Just ride the bike? Its not that far to the Excel
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    I'd ride it, no one, but no one, takes their bike on the tube, even on the sections you are allowed to. Unless we're talking pretty early in the morning, the H&C / Circle is going to be very busy through central and you will get a lot of hate, and possibly have problems getting the bike on and off.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    mbthegreat wrote:
    I'd ride it, no one, but no one, takes their bike on the tube, even on the sections you are allowed to. Unless we're talking pretty early in the morning, the H&C / Circle is going to be very busy through central and you will get a lot of hate, and possibly have problems getting the bike on and off.

I've taken my bike on the tube- admittedly just outside rush hour and had no issues whatsoever. There were a few people scowling but I'm sure they weren't aiming it me as they didn't make eye contact- nothing new there!

Interestingly on the same day I took my bike on the Paris Metro (against their rules I believe) but no-one batted an eyelid and the ticket woman at Gare du Nord even opened the wide gate for me!

I did have dry lube on my chain so at least it wouldn't cause too much of an oily stain on anyone's clothes.
  • kr445
    kr445 Posts: 5
    I don't think you are allowed on the DLR with bikes although I may be wrong - have a feeling rules have changed recently.

I would get the Hammersmith & City line from Paddington as far as you can, and then cycle the last bit to the Excel.

You want to aim for the west (Custom House) end of the Excel
  • You can now take bikes on the DLR, I would ride if I knew my way around London, not up for getting lost and missing the registration
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Yes there was a sign saying that bikes are currently allowed on the DLR hen I went to Excel to register last night. I'd check to see if there are times they are not allowed though. Saw a group of unlikely lads struggling with Boris Bikes going up an escalator!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    SoSimple wrote:
    mbthegreat wrote:

I've taken my bike on the tube- admittedly just outside rush hour and had no issues whatsoever. There were a few people scowling but I'm sure they weren't aiming it me as they didn't make eye contact- nothing new there!

Interestingly on the same day I took my bike on the Paris Metro (against their rules I believe) but no-one batted an eyelid and the ticket woman at Gare du Nord even opened the wide gate for me!

I did have dry lube on my chain so at least it wouldn't cause too much of an oily stain on anyone's clothes.

Is this a joke or are you serious?