Dinner lady sacked for serving a Muslim pupil pork

2»

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I would bet any sum of money you care that this was neither a first or only offence. Anyone who takes a "PC Gorn Mad"/Brussels Madness/'Elf and Safety Sadface newspaper story at face value is an idiot. See also BA Cross Woman, The van driver with a cross in "his" van, immigrant allowed to stay in Britain "because he had a cat" and other examples passim.

It's easy copy for a bored and increasingly useless press. Pick the inflammatory headline out, write the story, snap the "victim" with their best sad face (bonus points for pointing to the offending object) and bury the truth of the matter in the last couple of paragraphs. It's a big help that employers and HR departments are bound by confidentiality agreements, or simply too busy. It stops them getting their side of the story in. In time, it'll be like WInterval. Not actually in any way true, but accepted as true by virtue of repetition.

I'd love to see a Venn diagram of folk who reckon this woman's in the right, and Muslims working in Tesco who won't handle pork or alcohol are in the wrong.
  • My wife and I have foreign students stay with us for a week or two at a time. We always ask if they have any dietry needs and any allergies etc.
    Last year we had a couple of students staying with us from Austria and asked them the normal questions and they said there were no concerns. On the 6th day we served up gammon, to which one of the students asked what it was. We said pig... He looked at us horrified and said that his friend could not eat pork due to being Muslim. So we quickly took it away and cooked some fish instead.
    We didn't have the heart to tell them that they had ham in their sandwiches every day, they had pepperoni on their pizza first night, oh and the curry I had cooked the previous night had pork in it.

Wooops.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The issue that everyone seems to be missing is . . . when did they start serving stuff like gammon at school? When I were a lad it was chips 'n' beans 'n' something deep fried. Gammon? Why couldn't they have done that when I was at school?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The poor kid is now resigned to a life of punishment for eating pork!!!!!!!

Religion.... mans way of f**king up everything!
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Perhaps the kid couldn't care less whether he ate pork or not?
  • I would bet any sum of money you care that this was neither a first or only offence. Anyone who takes a "PC Gorn Mad"/Brussels Madness/'Elf and Safety Sadface newspaper story at face value is an idiot. See also BA Cross Woman, The van driver with a cross in "his" van, immigrant allowed to stay in Britain "because he had a cat" and other examples passim.

It's easy copy for a bored and increasingly useless press. Pick the inflammatory headline out, write the story, snap the "victim" with their best sad face (bonus points for pointing to the offending object) and bury the truth of the matter in the last couple of paragraphs. It's a big help that employers and HR departments are bound by confidentiality agreements, or simply too busy. It stops them getting their side of the story in. In time, it'll be like WInterval. Not actually in any way true, but accepted as true by virtue of repetition.

I'd love to see a Venn diagram of folk who reckon this woman's in the right, and Muslims working in Tesco who won't handle pork or alcohol are in the wrong.

pure conjecture.
  • SpainSte
    SpainSte Posts: 181

On the other hand if the kid asked for gammon surely that is their choice. Should the parents be able to dictate what the kids eat in a state school ?

This is exactly what religion is in children - the wishes of the parents being forced upon their children who have little or no say in their own lives. According to reports this morning the dinner lady asked the child what he/she wanted and the child directly pointed to the gammon. Perhaps this was the first step of the child seeing the light and denouncing religion, which has now been smothered. Again, further reports state that the family are due to move to Saudi Arabia within the month after the father was found to be a fraudster and was banned fron being a company director in the UK.

Its actually a joke. No one died, no one was seriously hurt, but a child's freddom of choice has been denied. How many people employed in North Stafford hospital whilst the failings there were carried out are still working in the NHS? Nice to know, as a country, we have our priorities sorted!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    SpainSte wrote:

On the other hand if the kid asked for gammon surely that is their choice. Should the parents be able to dictate what the kids eat in a state school ?

This is exactly what religion is in children - the wishes of the parents being forced upon their children who have little or no say in their own lives.

Big +1 to this. We even allow parents to permanently alter their children (circumcision, female genital mutilation) because apparently their 8-day old baby believes in the Jewish/(African) Christian/Islamic god.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I would bet any sum of money you care that this was neither a first or only offence. Anyone who takes a "PC Gorn Mad"/Brussels Madness/'Elf and Safety Sadface newspaper story at face value is an idiot. See also BA Cross Woman, The van driver with a cross in "his" van, immigrant allowed to stay in Britain "because he had a cat" and other examples passim.

pure conjecture.

Nah. Consistent with past behavior, and backed up with evidence.

From the Cambridge News, this quote.
    Lunchtime UK Operations director Peter McAleese said: “Anyone losing their job is regretful. But there was a full and transparent procedure that Alison went through - as well as an appeals procedure which she lost.”

A spokesperson for Lunchtime UK added: “Following an incident involving Alison Waldock at one of our schools a full investigation was carried out prior to suspending her on full pay.

“A standard disciplinary procedure ensured which resulted in Alison Waldock being dismissed for gross misconduct.

“She was represented by the GMB union throughout the whole procedure and is now entitled to appeal through the tribunal system.

They continued: “Obviously we cannot provide all of the details surrounding the dismissal. However, as a general note, Lunchtime UK would not seek to dismiss any employee due to just one honest mistake.”

The last line there would be the important one.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Wahey....... We're almost onto a full blown discussion about religion; or being wrong, as I like to call it :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    can't tell if the posts hre are tongue in cheek over an 8 year old's rights about choice or not!? Would guess they don't have children then, or did they not enforce a bedtime, limit TV, limit sweets, not let them hit each other etc.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    But all those things are harmful - eating pork is not considered to be harmful - or at least that isn't the reason the kid isn't being allowed to eat it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    Lunchtime UK Operations director

FFS..talk about over the top job titles

..what's wrong with Senior Dinner Lady
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    They continued: “Obviously we cannot provide all of the details surrounding the dismissal. However, as a general note, Lunchtime UK would not seek to dismiss any employee due to just one honest mistake.”
    The last line there would be the important one.

Oh dear Mr M. You'll ruin BR if you start introducing facts. BR is a front for the cycling wing of the Daily Mail where we like to judge on very limited evidence, complain on behalf of others and claim that the country is going down the pan. Then some 'Leftie' like you turns up and ruins the party. SHAME ON YOU!