Slow Death To Good?

Gazzaputt
Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
edited August 2013 in The cake stop
What is wrong with society?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-co ... e-23224826

I so hope that their lives inside are a living hell everyday.

RIP little man.

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Can't read or listen to anything about that case, too upsetting.

Evil people and many mistakes made by others :(
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Is this a good point to start a debate about the relevance of the death penalty? I know that we will never see its return, but cruelty of this magnitude deserves the ultimate sanction.

I vote with the ayes
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Surely a case for locking them up and throwing away the keys.
    Let them suffer as he did. :cry:

Before anyone starts with the society debate - No, we are not as civilised as we would like to pretend.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • These all-too-common incidents do rather bring out the Daily Wail reactionary in me. Where's there's no literal defence - i.e. a child who can have no hope of defending themselves or escaping from that situation - there I'd like to see the punishment meet the crime; let them die as they let him die.

As it is, they'll both get 25 years, serve no more than 16, and that's that. 16 years at the taxpayer's pleasure for starving and beating your own child to death. The only tiny bit of mercy is that neither will ever be safe inside, the woman especially.

I vote aye.

Once I've calmed down, there's two things which bother me;

Firstly, after the Baby Peter case in Haringey, how in bloody feck did this manage to go on, unchecked, for 18 months when the school and social services were involved?

Secondly, is how on earth anyone can do that to their own child? I was compelled to smack the youngest (6) the other day when she was being particularly obnoxious. Immediately racked by guilt and had to suppress the over-riding parental instinct to give her a big hug to make it all better.

To do what she did, she'd have to not only be supremely cruel and evil, but also override the maternal instinct. Not just momentarily either, but for a prolonged period of time.
  • There are plenty of land mines needing cleared...
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    We are dealing with people whose level of human decency is far, far below what we would be deemed acceptable by the vast majority of mankind. The sad reality of the human condition is that these incidents happen all over the world, to thousands if not millions of unprotected victims on a daily basis. By living in a so-called civilized society, which purports to employ social mechanisms to protect the vulnerable, we are shocked - rightly so - that such atrocities occur. Human history suggests, I'm afraid, that this is how we treat each other if allowed. I guess all we can do is thank whatever god we believe in (or not) that our childhoods were different, that we treat our children with decency and respect, and that we try to do whatever we can, on an individual basis, to make the world a better place. A bit 'wishy washy liberal' I know, but what's the alternative? Try as I might, I cannot personally support the death penalty, no matter how disgusted I may be with these people; to say that taking a life is wrong, then punish people by taking their life, just doesn't work for me. I appreciate that others will have a different view and they have a right to their opinions....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I don't have the capacity to even entertain the thought of "How could someone do this?"

Just one of the most horrific acts i've ever heard of.
  • robertsims
    robertsims Posts: 141
    Terrible terrible terrible. Lock them up, beat them regularly and starve them. Might give them some perspective on their treatment of this poor boy. Death penalty seems highly attractive. Hope they get a regular kicking in prison for rest of their miserable lives
    Triban 3
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    The death penalty is far too good for them.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • That thread title is actually quite profound. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Why did Teachers/ Social Workers accept the mother's explanation that the kid had a rare eating disorder when he was seen taking food from bins, Poor little blighter even tried to eat a Pancake dropped on the floor during the school pancake race.

Social workers just accepted the mother's explanation even though at the time of death he was described as looking like a holocaust victim. Surely they could have checked her claims with a G.P or carried out their own examinations.

When I cover teach in schools if a child makes a casual comment about missing breakfast that morning its considered a cause for concern.