Cleat Screws

the_gills123
the_gills123 Posts: 31
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I hope you can help me (again).

I recently posted about Knee Pain and one of the most common fixes for this was the adjustment of cleats. In attempting to do this I realised that I'd lost a screw on my right cleat. Firstly - could this contribute towards my knee pain?

Secondly, and the main point of this post - how/where can I get a new screw/washer for them without buying new cleats?

I use Look Keo Classic Pedals with the grey cleats.

Hopefully someone knows where I can get one?

Thanks!!

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I wouldn't have thought that this is the cause of the pain as these cleats have three bolts so I wouldn't see that they can move if one screw is missing. It might be that the cleats are in the wrong position though?

How about trying your LBS to see if they can let you have just the screw / washer?

Once you adjust the cleats hopefully you'll find a position for them that helps with the pain, failing this how about a bike fit?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Hi all,

I recently posted about Knee Pain and one of the most common fixes for this was the adjustment of cleats. In attempting to do this I realised that I'd lost a screw on my right cleat. Firstly - could this contribute towards my knee pain?

Hell yes! This exact thing was the cause of the one and only incidence of knee pain I've had in cycling career thus far. It was most mysterious until I had an online chat with a mate who suggested altering the angle of my SPD-SL cleats - then and only then did I spot that a bolt was missing and the cleat had moved as a result. New bolt in and the problem was solved.

I had in the past searched for new bolts (I'm sure you *must* be able to get them somewhere) but I had had the foresight to keep the bolts from my previous pair of cleats as spares. This is a good plan and worked for me.
  • djm501
    As an addendum, I tried a few bike shops for spare cleat bolts and not one had any - you may have better luck.
  • djm501
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=s ... 0AXgl4GoDQ

Can't believe I didn't think of this myself at the time :roll:
  • stongle
    stongle Posts: 61
    Condor sell them, 3 quid for 4 though.
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
    Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Is he aware of this ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • arran77
    MattC59 wrote:
    Is he aware of this ?

I did draw it to people's attention....

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12934419&start=40

:lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • :shock: :shock: :shock:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,853
    arran77 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Is he aware of this ?

I've just gone full circle. Thanks fellas. Click on this, then click on that, then i'm right back where I started or end up in a cul-de-sac....Hmmm... an idea...

Has the OP tried Cleats with a bit of float in them?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • arran77
    arran77 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Is he aware of this ?

I've just gone full circle. Thanks fellas. Click on this, then click on that, then i'm right back where I started or end up in a cul-de-sac....Hmmm... an idea...

Has the OP tried Cleats with a bit of float in them?

Pleasure :lol:

seanoconn
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

You'd think you'd remember, wouldn't you.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Just buy another set of cleats. You'll need some soon enough for when the current set wear out, and it'll be cheaper in the long run than buying spare bolts.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    What you need to do is find some complete b*ll-end who decided to buy themself a set of spare cleats six months ago just in case (forward planning, clever eh?) but managed to buy the wrong ones ("Look do models called Delta and Keo?!") and who now has spare screws, washers and some stupidly large cleats that don't fit into the pedal.

However, I don't know of such a person.
  • dave27
    dave27 Posts: 35
    Screwfix do a wide range, that's where I got mine from. Take in a screw and they will tell you the size you need. Look Keo are M5 if I remember correctly. They tend to be a bit longer than what come with with the cleats but they work fine.

They also do washers but they will be round and not square. They still work the same.

Don't be worried if you have never been in before, they are not just open to trade. Very similar to Argos in the way you order and the staff are very helpful.

Much cheaper than anywhere else, couple of quid for about 50.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,922
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    What you need to do is find some complete b*ll-end who decided to buy themself a set of spare cleats six months ago just in case (forward planning, clever eh?) but managed to buy the wrong ones ("Look do models called Delta and Keo?!") and who now has spare screws, washers and some stupidly large cleats that don't fit into the pedal.

However, I don't know of such a person.

Nor me! :roll:
  • Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies.

Well the good news is that one call to my LBS was all I needed to do. 6 screws/washers ordered for £4.

AND....

Knee pain fixed too... Moved the seat about 10mm forward and pain all gone after my latest ride. Haven't been out since so am just keeping fingers crossed that it's gone for good!

Thanks for all the replies everyone.