Word embargo

arran77
arran77 Posts: 9,260
edited August 2013 in The bottom bracket
Mods, please prove to me that you are not adverse to freedon of speech by deleting this thread before it even makes it's way into BB (just like my other thread from earlier this morning where I tried to ask the same question :wink: ).

There's been a lot of stuff here recently that gets censored or deleted, some rightly so, but I just want to understand the logic behind it all because to me a lot of it seems rather arbitary.

Some words get censored while others do not (Mods you know what these are because they were in my last thread you deleted :wink: ), I would imagine that if you are trying to protect the more sensitive members of the forum you should just blanket ban all 'naugthy' words rather than the hit and miss approach you take at the moment, at least then we'll know where we stand!

I'm really not trying to cause any trouble with this and certainly not starting an arguement, I'm just wondering, thanks :)
"Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    arran77 wrote:
    I would imagine that if you are trying to protect the more sensitive members of the forum you should just blanket ban all 'naugthy' words rather than the hit and miss approach you take at the moment,

It's difficult to cater for the sensitive, naughty words can be about context, a kona may be a bike to you...

How can anyone be sensitive about words in today's society, I think there are far more serious issues that demand attention, you are not actually offended, I think WTF just MTFU :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    I am fairly new on here, a Johnny come lately. A lot of you have more knowledge regarding the history behind some of the more recent threads and posts.
    Last week, I received admonishment from a Mod and was requested to moderate my language. Fair enough, I had posted the F word in full and caused offence.
    I have no complaints about that, if those are the rules, those are the rules. I am sure I will be able to express myself without swearing. I joined what amounts to a private club, and must abide by the proprietor’s guidelines.
    Whether I think the line in the sand is drawn in the right place is a different matter. There was a post from a mod that said the language filter was universal, across the forum, but areas such as BB are supposed to be for more broadminded talk. This seems a bit ridiculous.
    There have always been threads that disappear into the ether at the whim of a mod, with no explanation. If someone has posted something considered inappropriate, why not just delete the post and insert the reason why, instead of deleting the entire thread?
    But more recently, threads seem to disappear because they imply criticism of Mods. It is akin to mods sulking and taking their ball home. It may well be that this is not the case, someone may have posted something ultra offensive and the thread was immediately deleted., but we will never know. As above, why not delete the offensive content and state why it was inappropriate?
    There has been a great deal of debate here about swearing and to some extent I would sympathise if the language was appearing across the forum, but The Bottom Bracket? Come on, that is surely why it was created, so that such people likely to be offended could keep away.
    Parallel to this debate on BB about swearing I posted a thread in Commuting highlighting the ridiculous situation we have. It was my first foray across to the dark side and I must say how dull I found it.

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12934484
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Having read that, commuters are actually a good crowd! Maybe it's us that have been w@nkers! :shock: :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Wow, I'm not mad after all!
    One of my posts (and a reply) has completely disappeared from a subject that is still running, despite there being no bad language in either. Neither were controversial, and both were, I thought, relevant to the direction the thread had gone in :(
    I'm not overly concerned, but I did start to wonder if I had imagined the whole episode, which was far more worrying :mrgreen:
  • arran77
    team47b wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    I would imagine that if you are trying to protect the more sensitive members of the forum you should just blanket ban all 'naugthy' words rather than the hit and miss approach you take at the moment,

It's difficult to cater for the sensitive, naughty words can be about context, a kona may be a bike to you...

How can anyone be sensitive about words in today's society, I think there are far more serious issues that demand attention, you are not actually offended, I think WTF just MTFU :D

You are quite correct, I am not offended by anything I read on here :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I am fairly new on here, a Johnny come lately. A lot of you have more knowledge regarding the history behind some of the more recent threads and posts.
    Last week, I received admonishment from a Mod and was requested to moderate my language. Fair enough, I had posted the F word in full and caused offence.
    I have no complaints about that, if those are the rules, those are the rules. I am sure I will be able to express myself without swearing. I joined what amounts to a private club, and must abide by the proprietor’s guidelines.
    Whether I think the line in the sand is drawn in the right place is a different matter. There was a post from a mod that said the language filter was universal, across the forum, but areas such as BB are supposed to be for more broadminded talk. This seems a bit ridiculous.
    There have always been threads that disappear into the ether at the whim of a mod, with no explanation. If someone has posted something considered inappropriate, why not just delete the post and insert the reason why, instead of deleting the entire thread?
    But more recently, threads seem to disappear because they imply criticism of Mods. It is akin to mods sulking and taking their ball home. It may well be that this is not the case, someone may have posted something ultra offensive and the thread was immediately deleted., but we will never know. As above, why not delete the offensive content and state why it was inappropriate?
    There has been a great deal of debate here about swearing and to some extent I would sympathise if the language was appearing across the forum, but The Bottom Bracket? Come on, that is surely why it was created, so that such people likely to be offended could keep away.
    Parallel to this debate on BB about swearing I posted a thread in Commuting highlighting the ridiculous situation we have. It was my first foray across to the dark side and I must say how dull I found it.

True, rules are the rules so all should abide by them, trouble is the rules as you say get changed on the whim of a Mod based on how they are feeling that day, this thread will now probably join all the others because 'authority' is being questioned :lol:

I totally agree with you, in other areas of the forum this sort of horseplay and banter is not acceptable, but here it should not be frowned on, like you say those whose sensative ears who are likely to be offended should stear clear :?

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Ballysmate wrote:

Every forum needs moderating staff. Certainly not a job I would wish or have time to do. With moderating comes authority and it's human nature for some to wish to chip away at that authority, constantly pushing boundaries. "You can't tell me what to do! " I'm afraid they can and at a push of a button, you're gone with no appeal or recompense.

In order for a forum to function harmoniously, you can't have members openly criticising Mods for performing their moderating duties, it just becomes a free for all. Discussions take place in private. Moderators are human and mistakes are made, on ocassion possibly over zealous in performing their duties and sometimes even provocative. A sly dig before closing a thread isn't necessary IMHO.

A forum I've visited previously allows you to state the reason for deletion for every post a member or moderator deletes, which seems to work well. Being a little more open about disappearing threads/posts could help but in most cases it's not rocket science to guess why they vanish.

We've managed to do without/get around typing actual swear words for a few years now, so I don't see it as a big deal.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What he said ^^

Thread locked.
This discussion has been closed.