carbon frame paint flaw or crack?

kkzfish
kkzfish Posts: 39
edited August 2013 in Workshop
Hi,
I have a very stupid question.
When i pick up my bike today from my LBS i found a strangle discolor on my seatstay of my full carbon foil.
It seems to be a small metal or white dot under the clear coat...never seen this before.
I can feell it when running my fingernail over it(though it is quite light feeling)...it feels like a dent..but we know carbon frame wont dent!
and i tap a coin on it and it sounds "dull" comparing with the other area of the seatstay.
Should i worry about it? The frame is brand new so i have no idea what may cause it.
I got 2 pics of it. it is the small white dot on the right side.
Cheers

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Its fine - its just a mark on the carbon. Ride and enjoy.
  • kkzfish
    kkzfish Posts: 39
    Yossie wrote:
    Its fine - its just a mark on the carbon. Ride and enjoy.
    thanks..it is so wired as it doesn't looks like a chip on the paint but under it.
    I am a bit worried due to it fails the tapping test
    a coin give me a dull sound just on the mark..but i cant see crack around it from outside.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    The coin test is pretty good but also very subjective you'll also get random variances due to depth of carbon, lacquer, paint, resin, etc. There may also be a supporting strut underneath if its near anything that needs to be clamped on that will affect the sound.

Its nothing to worry about - carbon is as tough as old boots so long as you don't do anything random like smack it with a pedal wrench or helicopter, so ride and enjoy while the sun is out.