Not one for the bike snobs!

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
What are your thoughts on this?

As I have said not one for the bike snobs...but for £3k to include ultegra Di2 and cosmic carbones it seems a good deal! This months Cycle Sport has a review and reckons for the price you are effectively getting the frame for nowt!
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Does that mean the frame is worth nothing though :wink:

What did the review say about the quality of the whole package?
  • thefd
    Does that mean the frame is worth nothing though :wink:

What did the review say about the quality of the whole package?
    Maybe the frame is worth nothing...but even so, sell the parts and you get your money back and you still have the frame!

The article really rated it. The French u19 team race on them!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • alihisgreat
    I'd have no problem riding it to be honest.. similar to Canyon on the brand appeal scale in my eyes.
  • Churchill123
    Churchill123 Posts: 341
    seems like great value for money!!
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    No snobbery from me. But I think the frame is hideous. What's the point of cutting out the seat tube and then having such a gaping clearance?
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Theres a Ridley on special at Pearsons http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/product/46400/Ridley-Excalibur/ that i think i prefer the look of and its a bit cheaper, you could probably spend the money saved on a really nice set of wheels.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • thefd
    simonhead wrote:
    you could probably spend the money saved on a really nice set of wheels.
    Probably not - the Cosmic Carbone wheels are £1500!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Check they have your size locally and go and try it, quite often they have limited availability.
  • I'd have no problem riding it to be honest.. similar to Canyon on the brand appeal scale in my eyes.

What 'Canyon brand appeal' would that be then?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I'm a bike snob and only just retired my alu decathlon (aka Btwin). Had it for about 6 years and had some of my best rides on it. For the money I don't think it's a bad choice at all, and it looks stunning. This is a team frame so it won't suffer from a lack of engineering or softness. Go sit on one and ride it, then you'll know immediately. Good luck.
    Storck Scenario C1.1 | Ridley Damocles ISP

"The race is long, but in the end it's only with yourself"

http://www.twitter.com/TwitRides
  • alihisgreat
    I'd have no problem riding it to be honest.. similar to Canyon on the brand appeal scale in my eyes.

Not a huge amount, but enough that you'd could accept riding one due to the value for money.
  • A lot of Decathlon's woes come from the bad translation into different languages. They hired a web manager a few months back so we'll see if things start to change. Its never so simple though for a big website to 'just change', though - no matter how obvious it appears to be!
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    I'm out.. Just look at the "lets have an integrated seat post oh but that will require some engineering lets change our minds and bodge it with a seat clamp.."

Edit: Them wheels shown are SLR's not SR's, fraud!
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Looking at the other models there seems to be some good VFM going on. Especially liking the tendency to sell higher spec models with proper wheels and tyres (RS80s, Mich Pro4s etc.) This looks like a proper good deal as well, Mavic R-SYS and full Sram Red for 2K:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/facet-9-2011-road-bike-id_8127611.html
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • I'd have no problem riding it to be honest.. similar to Canyon on the brand appeal scale in my eyes.

Not a huge amount, but enough that you'd could accept riding one due to the value for money.

You must be on a different planet comparing the 2 brands.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles