problem i cant solve, need help

goytregrit
goytregrit Posts: 80
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've done far too many checks and changes to list on this post, but basically I have a problem on my orange alpine which to some extent feels like a pivot or bushing problem when i ride but I've done so many tests and changes that I cant believe anything could be wrong there, plus checked loads of other things so my focus has switched to the rear wheel. After reading quite a few forum posts that mention issues with hope pro2 axle breakages I am wondering if that's the issue, but I don't know what I'm looking for with that. If I ride over relatively small potholes etc I can feel like a 'knock'. I recently changed the pawl springs because I have noticed almost too much throw in the pick up and like a reverberation through the hub. Didn't change pawls cause they all looked fine. The drive side axle bearing seemed fine but I did not take anything else apart as I'm not familiar with it. I've pushed the maxle which is 'not a lite' through the wheel and held both ends. There is a very small amount of play, when the wheel is in the frame there is no obvious free play or anything. Im totally confused but the bike is garaged at the moment until I sort problem.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If it was the axel you would know when you took the wheel out.

It would help if you said simply what you have checked.

Sure it is not new tyres or different pressure or just dry trails?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Could be a shock bushing
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • goytregrit
    Its a new shock and bushings, but I've checked with old shock in for peace of mind, same issues. Ive tried all sorts over and over, new bearings, new pivot axle, shims the lot. For instance one of the checks I did was take the reverb off and put a fixie post in and the problem felt amplified. Its a sort of knock and like a step feeling almost through the cranks (not bb though) and at high speeds and rocky descents the bike really sounds noisy at back end. I'm having other issues where the Zee clutch really isn't holding its own, but I've almost started to wonder if the hub internals are knackd or something although its all holding together. Done some really rough rtides lately and unusually thee pivot bolts came loose on a ride which was the start of it all but since then I've done so many checks and its been to bike shop, am stumped now. My attention was focussed at the pivot because of that but nose I'm not do sure.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Have you checked the frame for cracks?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • goytregrit
    Have you checked the frame for cracks?
    As best as I can and nothing apparent. I can ride up a gravel path and stamp and bounce on the pedals and all feels normal, but then just ride along a bit of lawn with a few ruts and holes in and to some extent feels like I'm on a hard tail, if I get off the saddle I can still feel as if something is wrong.
  • goytregrit
    nicklouse wrote:
    If it was the axel you would know when you took the wheel out.

It would help if you said simply what you have checked.

Sure it is not new tyres or different pressure or just dry trails?[/quote

Not dry trails, this is a proper problem. I've been riding 25 years. Just don't know what is causing this. I've experience of bushing fail on other bikes,
    Service all my suspension, know when a bearing is knack but I can't work this out. Other than a freehub overhaul I've not looked past that on a hope pro 2. That might not be what is issue, but I've seen lots of forums pointing to broken axles and wondered if mine might be broke but perhaps not snapped.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    when was the shock serviced last ?
  • android125
    android125 Posts: 36
    Can you try borrow a similar wheel from somewhere, put it on and see if it solves the problem. If not then its something else...
    Lets Ride!!
    Merida 96 26er
    Stumpjumper FSR 26er