Ritchey Headset

TheBigBean
TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
edited August 2013 in Workshop
I have just received my new frame (Scott CR1 Pro) and am in the process of fitting the fork. It came with a Ritchey Pro Logic Zero PF Headset and with the bits that needed pressing already pressed.

The problem is I can't find any instructions, so I'm having to guess at where the remaining bits go.

I think I have them in the correct order below, but I'm not sure about the plastic bit on the far right. I'm assuming this goes between the fork and the bottom of the headtube. Is this right, and if so which way up? It has a flat side and a rounded side. Hope this is a quick question for someone.

Many thanks.

20130731_190018.jpg

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Mine's at the bike shop now so I'm going off memory, but I think that bit goes under the flat-ish disc with Ritchey written on it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    Gozzy wrote:
    Mine's at the bike shop now so I'm going off memory, but I think that bit goes under the flat-ish disc with Ritchey written on it.

Thanks. You must be right they fit together extremely snuggly.

I've just hours trying to fnd this answer and when it is pointed out it becomes so obvious, I now feel foolish.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I can't see your picture (I'm at work behind a German firewall) but I had the CR1-SL frame with a slightly different Ritchey headset (WCS carbon something?)

There's a crown race which goes over the steerer and needs hammering down the last cm or so to sit on the fork crown.

Upper and lower bearings that just drop into the cups which are pressed into the headtube, then fit the fork.

Then there's a split expander ring that sits above the upper bearing, flat side uppermost. When the headset is tightened up this ensures the steerer sits centrally inside the upper bearing.

Then a flattish cover, conical spacer, plain spacers (or not depending on where you like your bars) stem, max 5mm spacer according to Scott,* then top cap.

*Only 10mm spacers supplied, so I have none above the steerer. Looks neater anyway.