Thule ProRide 591

jerryfudd
jerryfudd Posts: 343
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

It's a bit late for buying advice so just looking for some re-assurance before strapping my pride and joy to the roof this weekend and heading off down the motorway :|

Had it ages so no chance of taking it back and went for it as I've always had boot mounted but didn't like the wind hitting the sticky out bits i.e wheels of the bike side on.

I've had a practice run of having it up there and feels secure although come the day will add a few straps for good measure but does have some side to side give when I give it a wobble.

Car is a Pug 3008 if it matters so its sitting quite high up.

Dan

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use one to carry my bike. Never had any problems after several hundred bikes. Mostly carry my 40lb downhill bike on it.
    It will wobble a little but it's nothing to worry about. Putting extra straps on it could cause more problems, it may be designed to allow a little flex rather than transfer every bump directly to the bike.
  • jerryfudd
    thanks, any position better than others for a single bike? drivers/passenger side or middle?

Dan
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Makes no difference really. I normally carry two, but if I only have one I carry it on the driver's side as there are narrow lanes with low flying trees. Less to hit in the middle of the road.
    Putting it in the middle is just too much of a stretch.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    don't worry abbout the wobble or flex, they are meant to do that to some extent, as it saves all the force / stress going into the bike.

had three of them for years and travel with the bikes at high speed on the motorway and never had any issues, other than reduced fuel efficiency (event then it's not drastic). just make sure the bike tube is in the centre of the v on the jaws / clamp if that makes sense. also worth put some fram protecting tape on the bike where you clamp it
  • jerryfudd
    thanks all, feeling better about the whole thing now :D

Dan