shall i upgrade to full sus or new HD

Chillyonacid
Chillyonacid Posts: 39
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
hello i was wondering if people can put in their opinions and advice on what i shall do.
i currently riding rockhopper comp 2012 front brake lever is knacked at the moment so i been stealing my gf old gt avalanche 1.0. i had a couple of rides on it now i love more than my rockhopper the gt got smaller frame its 17 inch and the RH is 18 ( i think but the rockhopper got a longer cockpit feels like i'm stretching now i'm used to the gt.

so i decided i'm going to sell the rockhopper and buy a new bike. the question is shall i get a better hardtail or a full sus. i haven't been riding long started jan. i go to mainly trail centers but do my share of xc too. probably will have no more than £500 buck to spend on a new bike. what is putting me of full sus i find them really heavy and difficult to climb. any

so help is needed

Comments

• jerryfudd
    jerryfudd Posts: 343
    I went from a 19" GT to a 19" Rockhopper Comp 2011 and couldnt get used to it at first steering just didnt feel as nimble and felt over-extended so shifted all the controls and grips in an inch on each end of the bars and rode with it a few times and felt allot better so cut unused ends off.

If its still a problem couldnt you just get a shorter stem to bring the bars a bit closer and adjust the saddle forward? I might be wrong but I dont think you'd get much for £500 but could make some good improvements to what you already have?

Dan
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Stay away from FS for £500. Have a read here for some advice:

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12875967

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Measure the saddle to bar clamp distance on both and adjust the 'hopper to uiste, moving sadlle on rails, replacing inline seatpost with setback (or vice versa) longer/shorter stem etc.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.