Tiagra 9sp shifting issue

Jimfrandisco
Jimfrandisco Posts: 210
edited July 2013 in Workshop
Apologies is this is covered somewhere, but i couldn't find anything and guessing it may not be a tiagra specific problem.

I have a tiagra 3x9 set up. When shifting on the front mech the change up is fine, but when changing back down there is a positive click and nothing happens, so you have to click again and it changes as it should.
So in short, i have to click twice for each downward shift, also the 'click' itself isn't exactly light..more of a heavy 'clunk'!

Have heard reports that the wrong gear or brake cable (forget which) could foul the shifting as the cable end/head rubs inside the shifter? Although if that was true i would assume it affects the shift up as well as down?

Any advice or troubleshooting much appreciated

Jim

Comments

• halfround
    halfround Posts: 44
    Sounds like the trim function. First light push of lever moves derailleur a small amount to stop chain rub on the cage , harder push then swaps rings.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    yup - sounds like the trim function - mind u - my lever is quite sensitive in the middle ring - so trying to trim down I quite often overshoot and get the granny cog ... :(
  • Jimfrandisco
    hmm, thanks both - Trim function? I'm suitably embarrassed by not knowing about that.
    That makes sense and would account for why i have two clicks...so i have a couple questions based on that.

You say a light touch stops chain rub - for me that first touch takes considerable effort, do you think that would mean there's an issue with the shifter, or i just haven't got it dialled in correctly.

Shouldn't a good hard push still change gear though, regardless of the trim function or with tiagra do you always have to press twice to shift?

thanks again

jim
  • halfround
    Yes trim should be a light or short push and a push using all lever travel will change rings. It sounds like shifting is to hard, clean lube cable. How old are shifters ?
  • Jimfrandisco
    Shifters are old, but changed all cables just last week and that didn't seem to make any difference, but will take another look and make sure no kinks etc.
    Thanks again
    Jim
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    My new Tiagra Triple shifters are nowhere near as good as my 105 (double) shifters ... and it's not always easy to click the downtrim without shifting down ...
    Shifting up from the granny cog always seems to put it furthest out of the two middle positions .. so sometimes need to shift up and then trimdown straight away ...
  • halfround
    Old shifters get gummed up with dry grease , flush out with wd 40 and lube with a cross country oil or another thick oil.
  • Jimfrandisco
    Will give that a go, and also try re-cabling and lube...cheers