Tiagra 10sp cassette with Ultegra?

paul968
paul968 Posts: 11
edited August 2013 in Workshop
I am looking into getting a spare back wheel to use with the turbo trainer, but obviously I want to keep the cost down. My bike is a Canyon Roadlite 7 which has Ultegra 6700 with 11-28 on the back. The question is, can I get away with a Tiagra 10 speed 11-28 cassette on the trainer wheel? The current plan is to buy a Shimano R501 wheel.

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    Yes you can, only differences are to do with weight (materials)
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    Agreed, or since weight is not an issue you could go even cheaper, eg BBB do Shimano-compatible cassettes which are even heavier but will work fine. Go google.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Just remember that with Tiagra 10 speed there's no need to fit a spacer behind the cassette.
  • paul968
    paul968 Posts: 11
    Thx all :-)

I did wonder about the spacer - am I right in thinking that this normally comes with the cassette anyway?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yep, but some people mistakenly try to transfer the spacer from an old 10 speed cassette (105 or Ultegra for instance) and wonder why the lock-ring won't engage properly. Either that or they manage to strip the thread. Worth knowing that the 10 speed Tiagra in effect has the spacer built in.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Does that mean if I'm fitting an Ultegra cassette onto a 10 speed hub I will need a spacer? If so what spacer?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Does that mean if I'm fitting an Ultegra cassette onto a 10 speed hub I will need a spacer? If so what spacer?
    have a read of the topic in the FAQs.

and 1 it should come with the cassette and you may or may not need another spacer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • markhewitt1978
    nicklouse wrote:

and 1 it should come with the cassette and you may or may not need another spacer.

Yeah clear as mud that one. :shock:

So; I've got a CS6700 cassette, and I'm thinking of buying some RS80's from Ribble, am I going to need a spacer, will I already have one?

(and why are there always so many random gotchas like this in bike maintenance!)
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    The CS6700 should have come with a 1mm spacer. You will need if you fit that cassette to an RS80 wheel.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:

Yeah clear as mud that one. :shock:

So; I've got a CS6700 cassette, and I'm thinking of buying some RS80's from Ribble, am I going to need a spacer, will I already have one?

(and why are there always so many random gotchas like this in bike maintenance!)
    now we have the full story an answer can be given. see above. Now if you were to buy a wheelset that had a Mavic M10 free hub you would need another spacer. hence the mud above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • markhewitt1978
    mister p wrote:
    The CS6700 should have come with a 1mm spacer. You will need if you fit that cassette to an RS80 wheel.

Right. The CS6700 is new and boxed so hopefully it should be in there :)

Thanks for your advice! :D
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    Now if you were to buy a wheelset that had a Mavic M10 free hub you would need another spacer. hence the mud above.[/quote]

Or, if you bought any wheelset that has one of the new 11-speed compatible hubs (not just from Mavic), then you would also need another spacer, in addition to the Shimano 10-spd 1mm spacer. Again, this should be supplied with the wheel.