Replacing BB30 bearings, anything else I need?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
I've got a 2012 Boardman FS Pro with a BB30 bottom bracket, and as seems to be common with these, it's creaking like mad, so rather than a re-grease, I'm going to get some new bearings!

Do I just need a pair of bearings, or will I need washers, seals, etc? Also, any recommended bearings to buy, or are they all much of a muchness? Cheers.

Comments

• Not as straightforward as that , read park tools, special tools needed. ( lots of info if you use Google) I have the carbon version and if I get problems I will take the bike in to local bike shop to be honest. Having read around this though it could be crank noise and removing those and grease could help. Again google bb30 crank removal .worth a go .
  • broona
    Thanks for the reply, but it's not a task I'll be undertaking myself, my mate ran a bike shop for over 10 years, so I'll be leaving it in his capable hands, lol! ;)
  • baser
    baser Posts: 127
    I Have changed the BB30 on my Pro FS.

You will need a way to get the old bearings out, I used a large flat bladed screw driver and a rubber mallet.

You might need circlip pliers. On the inside of the frame there's a set of circlips to stop the bearings pushing in to far. If they are loose or have moved out of the retaining groove you will need the pliers to put them back, mine had.

You will then need a bearing press to put the new bearings in, Superstar do a good one for not many ££'s. You can then use the press for other jobs like headsets etc etc with the right adaptor.

Its not a difficult job.
  • broona
    Cheers, that's what I wanted to hear, my mate's got most of that kit from when he ran the shop. :)

So if I just buy a pair of bearings, everything else is (hopefully!) reusable?
  • baser
    baser Posts: 127
    Yep should be just the bearings, as I said the circlips may be loose but mine just popped back in.
  • jerryfudd
    jerryfudd Posts: 343
    apologies for the thread hijack but is the BB70 as prone to this? mine has been creaking on the non-drive side - so far have just tried greasing the splines which seemed to work at first now its back.

Dan
  • broona
    Related question, is it worth going for ceramic bearings over standard steel? Can get a set for around £30 as opposed to around £10 for normal ones.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown