Charity Hierarchies

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited July 2013 in The bottom bracket
All of the sportives/ fun rides I've done this year have been for cancer charities, and at all of them I've worn the jersey meanredspider had made up for the teenage cancer trust which normally gets nods of appreciation (either that or my bibs are too tight). Getting people to give a few bob hasnt been a problem.

But I want to do a ride next month for Alzheimers (can't remember why) - we have a neighbour who is at advanced stage and its so desperately sad - but its harder to get peeps to cough up.

I wonder if because deep down there is a hierarchy of 'issues' we harbour - Alzheimers, I reckon, is still seen as an old people condition, not even a disease, or maybe because its something, maybe, people think wont affect them - just curious.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    All of the sportives/ fun rides I've done this year have been for cancer charities, and at all of them I've worn the jersey meanredspider had made up for the teenage cancer trust which normally gets nods of appreciation (either that or my bibs are too tight). Getting people to give a few bob hasnt been a problem.

But I want to do a ride next month for Alzheimers (can't remember why) - we have a neighbour who is at advanced stage and its so desperately sad - but its harder to get peeps to cough up.

I wonder if because deep down there is a hierarchy of 'issues' we harbour - Alzheimers, I reckon, is still seen as an old people condition, not even a disease, or maybe because its something, maybe, people think wont affect them - just curious.

There are undoubtedly charities that are easier to 'sell' than others. Children's charities are one of the easier ones because they pull at our heartstrings like no other. We just can't contemplate our children dying before us.
    Alhheimers tends to be more difficult. It may be that it is seen as an old person's condition and unfortunately society has an appalling attitude to looking after our elderly.

BTW Welcome back Sid, glad the horse has gone.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    The environment is bottom of the list.

i can get up to £500k if my project was people based from the National Lotteries funding. I applied for a fraction of that and got this response:

"We do not support funding applications for environmental projects..."

Without the environment, you can't have people, so how is a an environmental project not directly linked to people?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Round here its children's hospice and air ambulance neck and neck with help for heroes coming up fast on the rails. Anything else I suspect is harder to sell. I think it depends how well some of these groups are supported and promote themselves in the local community. We have a very active alzheimer group called 'memory cafe' which is doing well and everyone seems to know of it, someone who works in it or someone who has benefitted from it