Wheel building question

paulbeckett
paulbeckett Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in Workshop
More out of desire to fettle and to practice my limited wheel building skills, I'm planning to replace the spokes on my wheels. They're Fulcrum 7s with 20 straight gauge spokes on the front and 24 on the back. I'm thinking of double butted DT Champions or similar. However, having suffered earlier fettling disasters by believing I know best, I thought I'd ask other, more experienced fettlers and proper mechanics for some advice. Will a relatively low number of lighter spokes present any obvious problems? I'm ~70kg and the bike's my all round commuter/sportive weapon.
Cheers! :)

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    You can use DT competition at the front and even at the rear... I weigh 74 and I do have 24 spokes wheels with DT competition
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ah. Yes. Sorry. I meant Competition, or even Revolution, not Champion, which I think are straight/plain gauge...
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ah. Yes. Sorry. I meant Competition, or even Revolution, not Champion, which I think are straight/plain gauge...

On such a low spoke count, avoid the revolution.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Agree, avoid DT Revs unless you enjoy regular tweaking with the spoke key
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Excellent! Competitions it is then. Where's the best place on-line to get them in clutches of 20 and less (assuming I need 3 sizes - not measured them yet).
  • ugo.santalucia
    Excellent! Competitions it is then. Where's the best place on-line to get them in clutches of 20 and less (assuming I need 3 sizes - not measured them yet).

Rose bikes in Germany will sell you singles. Remember to order nipples too, as they will come without